JohnK's Volvo - 740 GL 'E' Reg - Now belongs to JohnK.

cpjitservices

mine got very lumpy at tickover , it lost one piston due to the mixture being "thinned" out , but with having a manual choke ( remember them ! ) I could leave the revs up a bit

might be worth checking all those little pipes that do the pcv bit and the fire trap , they tend to coke up and also were they go into the carb base

mine got very lumpy at tickover , it lost one piston due to the mixture being "thinned" out , but with having a manual choke ( remember them ! ) I could leave the revs up a bit

might be worth checking all those little pipes that do the pcv bit and the fire trap , they tend to coke up and also were they go into the carb base

I have heard this but have failed to locate the flame trap! Can you show me where it would be? Mines auto choke!

What they all said!

My old 244 (2.1 B21a) had the exact problem your having. To start it up you had to keep some gas on for a while otherwise it'd splutter and cut out.

It was the carburettor to inlet manifold gasket leaking air on mine.

And do check your dizzy. On my 740 when I got it early this year it was still running its original (bastard to get to, back of the head!). That was causing a misfire and lumpy idle.

I changed the cap and rotor arm. Both were absolutely fucked with date stamps of 1988! The rotor arm was very corroded and a right shit to get off, the cap was actually broken in half and terminals inside were almost worn through. These are without question well worth changing regardless.

Flame traps are well known to get blocked with carbon and oily crud so (if you even have one) change it as it can allow the system to overpressurise and it can cause gaskets to fail and oil leaks. My old 740 saloon was so bad it used to blow its dip stick out of the tube when revved!

Here's a pic of my old cap exactly as it came off the car. It was actually running with this, albeit not terribly well.

35627121655_7de9948107_o.jpgIMG_0389 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Flame trap location varies from car to car depending on engine/induction type but the actual flame trap itself is often a black plastic 'cup' with a press on top cover with small rubber hoses going into it. Inside it's got a circular filter element.

The originals are brass with a metal filter element. Non gen replacements are usually white plastic with loads of little holes drilled through it. They cost pence to buy new (eBay) so just buy a new one and replace it.

Some people however have been known to remove the inner filter element and go without it, if it's not fitted it can't get blocked! But imho you should have one.

This is what your looking for:

35496605371_d44215221d_o.jpgIMG_0435 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

That's the plastic holder, the old blocked brass filter and new replacement.

35496601501_47956ee685_o.jpgIMG_0436 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Here's the cleaned up items ready to refit.

Btw, mines a Kjet injection car so is slightly different to yours but that's the basic appearance and gist!

Flame trap location varies from car to car depending on engine/induction type but the actual flame trap itself is often a black plastic 'cup' with a press on top cover with small rubber hoses going into it. Inside it's got a circular filter element.

The originals are brass with a metal filter element. Non gen replacements are usually white plastic with loads of little holes drilled through it. They cost pence to buy new (eBay) so just buy a new one and replace it.

Some people however have been known to remove the inner filter element and go without it, if it's not fitted it can't get blocked! But imho you should have one.

This is what your looking for:

35496605371_d44215221d_o.jpgIMG_0435 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

That's the plastic holder, the old blocked brass filter and new replacement.

35496601501_47956ee685_o.jpgIMG_0436 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Here's the cleaned up items ready to refit.

Thanks brilliant info! What I'll do is check it out tonight when I'm home and if needs be if I cant find it I'll take some pics!

Thanks all! 

It's satisfying to see all these fixing posts here.  Looking forward to seeing it on the factory trims again, even though the alloys aren't that offensive to look at.

They arent offensive but they are too wide on the front and making the steering that bit heavier, the wheels are sold pending collection by the original owner believe or not! New wheels/tyres tomorrow