What's wrong with this Volvo 740?

egg

Just up the road from me has been on sale since late summer. Unless it is a zombie advert, the guy can't get rid of the thing. I think it was on ebay at one point.

Looks fine to me - but am I missing something? Tempted to go and have a look.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/detail/motors/classic-cars/volvo/740/143531

SAM_1056.jpg

• Like 1

Its probably more than 99% of the population would be willing to pay for one of these TBH.

I maybe would if I was particularly flush but theres the conundrum, as if I was flush I would probably buy something else.

• Like 3

In recent years I've come round to the idea of paying more for a decent example of a car, which that does seem to be, but needing tyres makes it more like a £1000 car.

It's because the owner has left their Snood scrunched up in the passenger footwell. Enough to put anyone off.

SAM_1064.jpg

What's that thing hanging off the console?

Nothing wrong that I can see.... wrong body, wrong engine and wrong colour so probably the rarest Volvo out there and prime Autoshite material... offer him £500 and bag yourself a bargain...

• Like 2

It's a not very popular trim level of a not very popular body style. I'd love another saloon but the post '88 ones just aren't the same and £750 is just daft. With 200s getting dearer the 700s are starting to move but it'll be a very long time before that thing is worth £750.

Verdict;

Buy a GLE estate instead.

They're really not worth anything. Yet chancers keep listing 180k ones for like £1250.

Good cars though. If you like paying high tax, going slowly and getting poor economy. Which of course, everyone does.

Bad points?

Its white

Its a saloon

Its a manual

Its a two litre

About as desirable as free tickets to the jorvik centre in York, plus it needs rubber.

Prime autoshite material, but not at £750 - £400 tops. I bet he still has it next summer.

In recent years I've come round to the idea of paying more for a decent example of a car, which that does seem to be, but needing tyres makes it more like a £1000 car.

Cant remember the name....mult-t-lock or something? Halfords used to sell them in the '90s and probably sold a grand total of 3 of them. Its a heavy lock mechanism that is bolted to the transmission tunnel/floor. When you park you put the car in reverse and there is a hardened steel U-shaped part that goes around the gearstick and into the two holes on the side of the unit, locking the car in reverse.

They were mega-bucks to buy and get fitted when new so never sold that well. Actually not a bad theft deterrant - not as visible as a disclock on the wheel, but easier to use and you dont have the disclock sliding about in the footwell when you are driving.

If you really want a Volvo and have that kind of cash there are better spec ones to get. The 2.3 engine is good, turbos are quite speedy and there's almost no point to a saloon when the estate is so handy.

• Like 2

worth 400 and in arse end of kent

even the sctsch wouldnt do that

I'm a proud man of Kent so no problem. To be honest, that's really why l'm interested, it is just 'there'

70% of my driving is plodding up and down the a2/m2 at 60, what this car should at least be competent at.

It can offend the Audi A4 drivers even more than my Fusion!

• Like 4

There's an absolutely mintola 740 GLE saloon for sale at a garage near me. C reg saloon and It's been reduced to 1500 odd quid from 2k. Itst been for sale for about 18months.

70% of my driving is plodding up and down the a2/m2 at 60, what this car should at least be competent at.

It can offend the Audi A4 drivers even more than my Fusion!

The 2-litre will be fine for that. They're not exactly sluggish, just not exactly brisk either. 

Go have a look, pretend you don't know that its been for sale for 6 months and ask him how long his had it, he will probably say its just come in and had loads of calls for it etc etc.....

Also, it might look great in the photos taken after some spit on a summers day, but it could be ropey in the flesh. The camera never lies........except when it comes to old cars.

• Like 1

Multi lock gear lock - a late 90's addition. A pain the arse! Cowie leasing loved them, fitted them to everything...http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~secure/Multlock/MLMain.htm