1993 Mercedes 190e - MOT Win

BorniteIdentity

I've hummed and harred about this for a long, long time now. I live in perpetual fear of 'Buyers Remorse', which has talked me out of so many purchases over the years.

However, I've been pining for one now for the last 18 months. Therefore, I'm quietly confident it's not just a 'phase' and I really do want one.

I've not pulled the trigger yet, as I've not found my perfect spec. However, something pretty close has come up at a fair price (for these) and I'm tempted all over.

Other than Trigger, who's had one here? Thoughts? It's a 2.0 manual (which I actually want, owing to motorway miles innit).

All help appreciated.

Had a 2.0 manual very briefly, didn't really get on with it, probably my fault rather than the cars though, sold for what I paid for it after two months,

There's always been a following for them so if you did get a good one at a fair price you probably wouldn't lose anything if you decided it wasn't for you therefore get it bought at once before someone else snaps it up and puts it on ebay for 20 grand.

I've not driven one since I was 18.  Friend had a 2.0 automatisch and, compared with my Volvo 300, it was like riding a magic carpet.  Absolutely loved it.

Everyone says the manual boxes are hopeless, but the problem is the Auto's are doing over 3,500 rpm at 70.  That's quite noisy at proper speed.

For what it's worth I plan on trying one sooner rather than later. Prices for good ones seem to be on the rise so now is the time while you can still get one for sensible money. Just look how the prices of good E30s have shot up recently. As has been said buy a good one and you shouldn't* lose much and may* even make a profit* if your really lucky.

Yet another for the "why the hell did I sell that?" list...

merctruck001.jpg

merctruck004.jpg

merctruck005.jpg

merctruck009.jpg

It was a 2 litre dizzler manual - povvo spec with keep fit windows and non central locking etc.

Probably the most basic one you could buy, but it was literally mint with not a spec of rust anywhere and would likely have lasted until the end of time itself with just some basic servicing.

Solid, comfortable (slightly odd driving position with very low down seating) dependable, it rode like a dream and I would have confidently driven it anywhere at all knowing it would get there without drama and if the worst did happen it could be fixed anywhere with basic tools and a little common sense.

Its probably in Africa by now and I bet its still running fine.

^Twas actually a 2.0 Diesel that got me hankering again last year.

A colleague of my wife was selling his 'Berlin Taxi' - White with Blue Interior. 180k on the clock and in brilliant nick (he used to do house calls in it as a salesman!).

We were on a dirty weekend away when he put it on ebay, and by the time I'd left the hotel sheets in an appalling state and made it back to East Angular he'd sold it.

A. Phwoar, I fancy one of them.

C. I don't need THAT; I must be mental.

N1. I am mental, fuck, why not.

E. Peak collechun phasing.

N2. Possible breakdown and/or familial, corrosion related issues.

O. Depressive phase

F. Purchase of welding equipment and entry into slow recovery phase.

post-18107-0-83601900-1440415151_thumb.jpeg

I've had a couple - one auto and one manual.  The manual gearbox is horrifically clonky, but then if you're doing mostly motorway miles you'll be in 5th most of the time anyway.  Otherwise they're a nice old thing, comfy in a slightly springy sort of a way, and not too bad on fuel for a car of that era.

Don't get a manual. REALLY don't get a manual. 2.0E is the sweet spot of economy, smoothness and poise. Make sure the sunroof works. Look for rust around subframe mounts, jacking points and inside the boot behind trims. Make sure the sunroof works.

If the prices are too stiff, the W202 C-class is really not the shed many people make them out to be - in part because the really shed-like ones have long been scrapped. But the W201 190 is a lovely thing, small like cars used to be, great visibility, proper solidity and easy to maintain. The flat sides, target on the grille and just efficient design make it a great thing for nipping in and out of traffic, parking, just feeling that the car fits anywhere. And it does - get a good metallic one in clean condition with either subdued alloys, or perfect wheeltrims, and it will look at home outside a posh hotel or sitting in Lidl carpark.

Anyone with a fondness for 3-pointed stars should own a 190E at some point, and the only reason I don't have a permanent resident one is the lack of an estate or coupé version.

Caveat: W124s aren't actually THAT much bigger, and in saloon form with a six-pot are generally cheaper than a comparable-condition W201. Personally I don't see the point in saloon cars so would opt for the 190E over the W124 just for that extra "tiny car" effect.

The manual gearbox is horrifically clonky

I've been warned about this.  However, Nick Froome off of w124.co.uk says ". The manual gearbox requires 2 minutes of acclimatisation after which it's never an issue".  I've not driven one, but I doubt very much it'd piss me off to the extent of suicide.

Nah, wot you need in your life is a good bit of British metal mate. Sumfink like a Rover 75 perhaps. Just saying like.

Had one.  Absolutely bloody loved it. But, in all honesty, I never really trusted it 100%.  I never had a 'fail to proceed' incident, but it did flash plenty of lights at me once or twice.

Don't get a manual. REALLY don't get a manual. 2.0E is the sweet spot of economy.

If the prices are too stiff, the W202 C-class is really not the shed many people make them out to be - in part because the really shed-like ones have long been scrapped. 

The problem is, I do a lot of miles each year.  A lot.  I'm currently averaging 38 MPG in my Toyota, Happy to be penalised a bit, but trying to mitigate it a bit.  Manual's are always better than auto's at this 'vintage', and it's well documented that the 4 speed Auto has shorter legs.

Appreciate all the help.  The dude's gone quiet on me now, so I'm hoping he's not sold it to someone else.

There is quite a lot of interest in the 190 E nowadays - and in the W124 too. Piston Heads is brimming of people who absolutely love the things. I do think that prices will rise - and the degree of interest must make them reasonably easy to sell.

Their appeal is a little lost on me though - as it is with the W124. I'd just rather have a Jag which, fuel consumption aside, is so much more desirable to me. My late dad long looked down on Mercs as 'accountants cars'.  I used to make fun of him for it, but maybe the prejudice has rubbed off. :?

Still love mine. 1.8 auto windy window lecky roof. Cream interior, smoke silver, placcy wheel trims. No wood. Perfect. Not fast (in fact they are pretty slow) but nice to drive and I find mine vice-free. Not as nice as the W123/124/116 models that I had before but its lasted longer. Seats are hard but 7 hour drives leave me far more comfortable than some other "luxury" cars have managed. I also like some of the less important things such as manual driver/electric passenger mirror set up, keys on the dash where they belong, not down by the steering column where it suits the production engineers. Etc.

I have always bought Mercs the same way - packed early service history (patchy later doesn't seem to have mattered), few owners, P/Ex at a small country used car dealership, much evidence of giffer ownership and not worried about spec. I like a nice colour though. I find old Benzes intoxicating in a very low-key way, they suit me.

I enjoyed mine to a point and then I got bored of it although I do have a short interest band.

Mine was the auto and was a very pleasant place to be, the seats were comfortable and quite springy, it handled well and stopped sharply, I wasn't that impressed with the auto box but that's just me, it was always in the wrong gear and started to piss me off plus 25mpg seemed a lot for a car that wasn't very quick.

But don't let that put you off, if your happy to just waft about in a well built, easy to drive car then you can't go too far wrong. Just make sure you look out for a well speced model and don't pay too much for it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to go for it, just to get it out of my system.  Prices are undoubtedly going to go up for good ones, and this has a really good spec.

If it doesn't work out for me - then I'll roll it on.  At a crippling loss. Obviously.

I had a 1989 auto in white, fitted at the factory with a (subtle) AMG body kit, AMG alloys, leather, air con, electric roof and windows. Looked great if it was clean and polished. Only issue was the peeling door cards, fixed with a bit of plastic from B&Q (a well known fix). Had it for a couple of years, then sold it as I wasn't using it. Mid 20's mpg, cheap to service, and no problems apart from the ref passenger door one day refusing to open (sold with it still stuck).

Now have a 300E of the same year which I prefer - more poke, only slightly bigger, just as easy to maintain, but similar mpg.

Both nice cars to drive - much nicer than the Jag I had, but that was a lemon and a half!

One criticism often levied is the autobox, I think its worse on the lower powered 1.8 and its impossible to wring the last bit of acceleration out of the engine before it changes up and back down again and up and so on. However, the shifter on these MBs enables really snappy downchanges and lower ratio holds before banging it back up when the revs are right. I usually downchange for roundabouts etc and use this method instead of the kickdown which is rougher and less controllable. Its not a trick that seems to work too well on other autos I have driven.

Do it, I paid £360 for this darling some years back and got a profit 3 yrs later, no major issues with it but as a 2.0 auto it was a bit thirsty. I heard it got killed ( broken up ) in wales and was quite upset. Top tip is dismantle the grille and spray the plastic satin black to give it a lift as in my pic.

merc001.jpg

Try a manual before you buy. I've had a few auto mercs before my current Manual 190D, and the slush box suits the character of the car, but I find the manual box quite pleasant to use and get mid 40s mpg on veg.

I honestly think the 'merc manuals are shit' thing is a bit of a myth pedalled by gobshites that have never used one. Not having a dig at those of you who have tried them and hate them of course, but shifting pleasure is subjective to a point. If you're going to be using the car on the motorway for longish journeys like I often do, you won't be changing gear much anyway

Do it, I paid £360 for this darling some years back and got a profit 3 yrs later, no major issues with it but as a 2.0 auto it was a bit thirsty. I heard it got killed ( broken up ) in wales and was quite upset. Top tip is dismantle the grille and spray the plastic satin black to give it a lift as in my pic.

merc001.jpg

Hang on! Thats my old 190E! Sorry to hear it's dead now

I reckon you bought this from me just before I buggered off to Australia for a bit. I was gutted how cheap it went for, I think I paid about £600 for it a few months earlier, but had nowhere to store it and it was not much use to me on the other side of the planet.

It was ace in a "sailing to work at the helm of a boat" kind of way. Have always fancied getting another.