Retroshite

DodgyBastard

4 hours ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

Is that of the age fitted with the power valve you can turn for more fun? They go very well with that done.

No idea, the red one doesn't run particularly well but the white one seems to have a weird power band, almost like an on off switch.

IMG_20240422_180257910_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, RetroShite said:

No idea, the red one doesn't run particularly well but the white one seems to have a weird power band, almost like an on off switch.

IMG_20240422_180257910_HDR.jpg

Red one is an DT125R so will have a fixed powervalve (for the UK market bikes anyway) the earlier has no powervalve, so its just the porting/exhaust etc that gives it its 'kick' - all non powervalve 2 strokes that actually had some go were all on - off like this back in the day

7 hours ago, RetroShite said:

White is the earlier dtlc the red looks like the dtr which is the later power valve.

Round fitting in pic on barrel 

Screenshot_20240426_075951_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240426_080012_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, garbaldy said:

White is the dtlc the red looks like the dtr which is the later power valve.

Screenshot_20240426_075951_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240426_080012_Chrome.jpg

Or as we used to say 'in - period' Square barrel or round barrel mate?

Ive got one of my square engines built with an autisa 170cc kit, also got another that is a blaster 200 bottom end with DT200LC top end. They go much better

I found the the dtr a little weird,   power valve shut great low end torque ideal around town but feck all top end.   Fully open hard work round town great flat out so I modded a few valves to be in the just above halfway point.  Later ones of course opened and closed automatically which made a great bike.     

For some reason I always preffered my mtx,s though and still have my first one now.  

1 minute ago, garbaldy said:

I found the the dtr a little weird,   power valve shut great low end torque ideal around town but feck all top end.   Fully open hard work round town great flat out so I modded a few valves to be in the just above halfway point.  Later ones of course opened and closed automatically which made a great bike.     

For some reason I always preffered my mtx,s though and still have my first one now.  

Agree the fixed powervalve bikes were a bodge/workaround the UK laws for sure and didnt work quite as well as you might hope because of it.

Ive cobbled together a working powervalve set up and controller for my RD200LC, good low end and good mid and top, its worth having it all working.

I had a long term loan 84 MTX125 from where i used to work, the best restricted 125 i ever rode, apart from the tiny drum front brake. Honda just engineered things that worked

12 hours ago, RetroShite said:

Old 2 strokes did back then. I had a little wheel 1986 YZ80S as a kid, the power band was absolutely vicious. Nothing, nothing, nothing, EVERYTHING. I've had others go to have a go on it and too much throttle in first would see the bike launch from underneath them and it'd land upside down on the seat and handlebars. IIRC the ignition curve in the workshop manual showed it capable of revving to about 15K.

3 hours ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

Old 2 strokes did back then. I had a little wheel 1986 YZ80S as a kid, the power band was absolutely vicious. Nothing, nothing, nothing, EVERYTHING. I've had others go to have a go on it and too much throttle in first would see the bike launch from underneath them and it'd land upside down on the seat and handlebars. IIRC the ignition curve in the workshop manual showed it capable of revving to about 15K.

This is different to other old 2 strokes I've ridden.