Dave's shonkers - the big 200k (+1)

Dave_Q

It's a manual, I think at the bottom of the market a DSG is higher liability plus I don't mind operating the clutch myself.

I think there must be a bit of a generation gap between people who prefer a manual and people who like the DSG which must be a little bit like driving on a playstation.

• Dave_Q changed the title to Dave's shonkers - another one in

Didn't bother with a live collection interlude as it was early and I couldn't really be bothered.

image.jpeg.4364d6c06f91d1b336a69981b0c33f8d.jpeg

image.jpeg.6ed016eca8e5ac18bcc9082d682e7191.jpeg

After selling my GTS I started thinking I should get a bigger bike again. Both for general tootling and the option to chuck a tent on the back and piss off somewhere. 

I was trying to spend as little as possible, aiming for something in the 500-600cc range which was cheap to insure and ideally modern enough to have fuel injection so I could avoid lots of dicking about cleaning carbs.
I think I did alright on this at £750 considering the prices people seem to be asking for actual scrap. 

It's a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 which was the mk2 Fazer. The engine is from the R6 but with a bit less power. The headlight/clock setup looks a bit ridiculous, I think I will be looking for a flyscreen to cover this up and help with wind.

image.jpeg.416ded67c3facf66e517d702ca412289.jpeg

That looks a belting buy.  A fly screen will be a God send, can you buy different headlights/clocks and a fairing to change the appearance a bit though?

Yeah whoever drew that and leaned back in their chair with a satisfied sigh at a job well done wants shooting.

I assume it's a deliberate design choice to have the massive clock just dumped on top of there, a year or 2 later they made it a bit smaller.

There is a half-faired version that looks like this:

s-l1200.jpg.10aff976274e4e2b6c56814babb7dfd5.jpg

But you have to change an awful lot of stuff over. Lights, clocks, wiring loom, fairings and bracket, mirrors, indicators.

I reckon it would cost you a pretty penny to source all the bits off eBay so a cheap screen, possibly from AliExpress, is what it's getting for now.

I think it's great, it's almost like 2 bikes as you can just use the bottom end up to about 7k rpm and it's fast enough but OKish like I guess a CB500 probably is.

But it actually revs to 14k and if you use them all it makes noise and goes properly fast.

• Like 1

• Dave_Q changed the title to Dave's shonkers - Lidl leak fix

Pulled into Lidl carpark today and thought I could smell coolant.

IMG_20240602_131715514_HDR.jpg.8b48196043b987fce99f18b178ea199a.jpg

Looks like this spring clip wasn't on this elbow thingy and it's popped off. Not sure why now when I've done 500 miles or so in it, maybe because it's a hot day?

The gauge didn't move above 90, I didn't get a low coolant warning and there was a bit left in the bottle so I think I must have caught it just as it happened.

Lidl being Lidl, I was able to purchase some random looking pliers and substitute G12 to effect a repair, I hardly burnt my hands at all either.

IMG_20240602_132458622_HDR.jpg.aad2f29c4a7cfc69018baef9195efd29.jpg

I think on this occasion I won't send Dominic Littlewood down to @SiCs house to complain about the workmanship, just an oversight and no harm done.

Oof! Sorry about that. Stuff like that makes you ponder your own competence. 😬

I must have done a few hundred like that too. I reckon the last time I touched it was probably when I did the thermostat. I have memories of undoing it to help bleed through the coolant quicker. 

I did keep an eye on the coolant level after doing the thermostat to make sure no air pocket released but didn't see any change. Presumably like you said, it's been a hot day. Possibly got above/around boiling point (i.e. around when the first stage fans kick in) and built some pressure up. 

Thank fuck you didn't jet wash the engine bay as well,  otherwise there'd be a thread about taking you to the SC court......🤣🤣

Found a Puig screen on marketplace, it's a universal one but the FZ6 group reported it was alright. 

image.jpeg.cf88b7ad41baef376d75aeff493143f8.jpeg

image.jpeg.e724f84af9132777b06c08a7ec2560e4.jpeg

image.jpeg.4f16899a1216de806f2ef6fc51d42ded.jpeg

I'm not mega convinced, it has to go very vertical to fit round that barnacle of a clock. 

There is a less offensive set of clocks fitted to the later S2 models that apparently fits with minor wiring changes, the only set on ebay are £159 so that can wait. 

image.png.808f98b00742a930a7c81985de7c4a1f.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hairnet said:

koso ftw

aliexpress do one for 59

Any linkage please M9?

Can only see quite shit looking ones for like £13.

• Dave_Q changed the title to Dave's shonkers - Roffle interception

image.png.406900c1adb44de080ce7e9b0a8041bd.png

Oh - a 'have it away day'?

'Tom' was a 1980's London parlance for a prostitute sex worker - so you're cruising for a ???
Car? Oh. OK - is it a Bini?

IMG_20240609_094328165_HDR.jpg.7d75f7bae68c4310ae981546355e66ed.jpg

IMG_20240609_100113290.jpg.c8fed180d8da5ad781958a0e0f616086.jpg

I swear, without exaggeration I have entered SEVENTY NINE roffles for SLKs on here and always been quite excited at the idea of getting a shot in one but never winning.

When I saw Moog had won this I fired off a cheeky message to see if a short term loan / moving it a bit further North would be of use and happily it was.

The car seems great overall, drives beautifully, makes a great noise, auto box is maybe a tad slow to respond when you stomp the loud pedal but could just be how "proper" automatics are and I'm not used to it.

Big thanks to Pat Earrings for picking me up at the station and generally being a top bloke.

Northwards.

3 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

IMG_20240609_094328165_HDR.jpg.7d75f7bae68c4310ae981546355e66ed.jpg

IMG_20240609_100113290.jpg.c8fed180d8da5ad781958a0e0f616086.jpg

I swear, without exaggeration I have entered SEVENTY NINE roffles for SLKs on here and always been quite excited at the idea of getting a shot in one but never winning.

When I saw Moog had won this I fired off a cheeky message to see if a short term loan / moving it a bit further North would be of use and happily it was.

The car seems great overall, drives beautifully, makes a great noise, auto box is maybe a tad slow to respond when you stomp the loud pedal but could just be how "proper" automatics are and I'm not used to it.

Northwards.

You home yet then? :-)
Nice one - I was half betting on this being the interception after Snow Hill but thought 'no, he's far too sensible'.
Another illusion shattered :-)

13 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

I think it's the 722.6 5G-tronic that was in my E320. If so, it was exactly like that. Very slushy and slow to respond. While perfectly suited to a big estate, ok not sure it really should have gone into any small convertible sports car. 

3 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

You home yet then? :-)
Nice one - I was half betting on this being the interception after Snow Hill but thought 'no, he's far too sensible'.
Another illusion shattered :-)

Are you trying to suggest this 2 seater convertible is in some way not a practical car for a man with 3 children?

• Haha 3

Great to this still lives, thanks to @red5. Did my youngest well for a couple of years, I know what you mean about the noise, very distinctive too, even my Mrs could recognise when Keira was arriving from about half a mile away. That could have been her foot to the floor driving style though.

Its fun that I can follow the progress of 3 different of my family’s  old cars through AS now.

2 hours ago, SiC said:

I think it's the 722.6 5G-tronic that was in my E320. If so, it was exactly like that. Very slushy and slow to respond. While perfectly suited to a big estate, ok not sure it really should have gone into any small convertible sports car. 

I don't think I'd class it as a sports car really, it kinda looks like one but you can tell it's all made of Mercedes underneath so all the controls feel fairly soft/damped.

Wikipedia describes it as a compact GT which is maybe more like it? I think it's more suited to cruising or covering big distances than hooning down a B road.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

I don't think I'd class it as a sports car really, it kinda looks like one but you can tell it's all made of Mercedes underneath so all the controls feel fairly soft/damped.

Wikipedia describes it as a compact GT which is maybe more like it? I think it's more suited to cruising or covering big distances posing in central bradford than hooning down a B road.

• Dave_Q changed the title to Dave's shonkers - the big 200k (+1)

SLK out, as @The Moog mentioned on his thread. Had a nice mini-midlife crisis in it but not really a useful thing for me long term.

This happened today:

IMG_20240616_113151213_HDR.jpg.618f5529f2c62cbd36824b03dc0ce8d6.jpg

Bloody missed 200000 but still, there it is. Car is giving me no bother at all which is great news as the van is still in the garage.

59 minutes ago, SiC said:

That mpg ...I never managed it to get that low 🤣

We have hills here. That is from a 5 mile blat over to Halifax the Southowram way.

I did measure mpg over a couple of tanks and got about 29 from one with some longer journeys and 25.summat from the other one. So still an improvement on 19 in the S3.