Am I mad for saving this R14 ?

Richieg

Hi Guys ,

I haven't posted for a while but I think I have finally topped the lot by saving a Renault 14 Ts Regency .

This car has sat in a field for years and is in a terrible state . I am paying scrap value for it but getting it home is going to cost 6 times more than I am paying for it to get it home .

I will upload pics soon .

I have had a lot of nice comments though and offers of parts which I really need .

I would be interested to know what you think ..

cheers

Rich

Wow! Brave, brave man for taking this on.

The condition of it is probably on par with the rusty FSO that was liberated from Scotland a while back.

Big respect!

Funny you should say that!

Rich owns the green polonez too which I'm restoring at the moment. Just waiting for a couple more panels. We are not easily frightened by such projects. The green Polonez is due to be unveiled at NEC classic car show 2016 ;-)

The Renault although it looks pretty horrific, is a much better state than the Polonez.

...that looks jiggered. if its got 4 or them alloy rims same as the one  on the back, that might avoid you being sectioned, by one signature - cant be many alloy rims in 3 stud Renault....

personally, I wud have 'got the hots for' that Estelle in front... any pics of that??

That looks proper fucked. Like, "snap in half when attempting to move it" fucked.

1 owner minter for 1200 euros...

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/755840937.htm?ca=16_s

solid looking old thing for 600...

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/775783053.htm?ca=16_s

needs some work for 300....

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/775092021.htm?ca=16_s

I am gonna look like a mardy bastard and say its a mistake to try and fix that. If you have money and time to fix that up, it would be better spent on other projects (not that I know what other projects you have on). If you want a renner 14 I would say get one from over the channel and spend the rest of your time and money allocation on half a dozen equally deserving but less completely knackered old motors that need help!!!

I am gonna look like a mardy bastard and say its a mistake to try and fix that. If you have money and time to fix that up, it would be better spent on other projects (not that I know what other projects you have on). If you want a renner 14 I would say get one from over the channel and spend the rest of your time and money allocation on half a dozen equally deserving but less completely knackered old motors that need help!!!

post-5369-0-50840800-1425473197_thumb.jpg

Brave!

Anything's possible given enough time / money / effort, but would you not be better buying a solid-ish one from leboncoin, and converting it to RHD using the dash / bits from this one?

Unfortunatly there is no chance of easily converting a LHD as I found out when I had mine. You would need to cut out large chunks of the bulkhead and swap the lower windscreen scuttle panel. It's a shame you didn't find it a couple of years ago when I broke one. They rot like hell and it is the rear axle mounts that kills them. Any rot on the axle itself and it is scrap. The 14 is a good old car but don't listen to all the people who want one as you will find when you go to sell it they have deep pockets and short arms making them never likely to be worth much more than scrap value whatever you do with it. I know it's a rare and undervalued car but probably best left in the field returning to nature.

Are you mad? Undoubtedly.

As much as I like old Renaults and will encourage you from afar, thats going to take a small fortune and even when its done it'll be worth less than £1k. I'd get a good one from France and spend time enjoying it or if you really need, convert it to RHD rather than spending the next ten years of your life restoring that.  

It's metal, so it can be restored. Missing parts can be sourced, broken bits repaired. It will take time and patience though...

And money, obviously. I guess with something like this it is never going to be 'cost effective' to restore, but that's not what this is about and I guess that you realise that too, as you wouldn't be contemplating it otherwise...

Strip it all down to a shell, see what that is then like, especially the underneath. If it's still a goer then source a spares car or parts from France...

I know you could get a 14 from France, as has been suggested, but IMHO a RHD genuine UK market car is far more interesting and in this case, definitely a challenge...