When may The D.V.L.A. Clamp & What Is NOT A Public Road?

Andrew353w

I've just come across this on the BBC news website. In parenthesis, a driver had parked her car on a private road, pending expensive repairs she was saving up to pay for & SORNed the car with D.V.L.A. but a contractor clamped it! Now read on....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31470154

And this happened in Harrow, not far from me....

I make know someone* who had a car clamped by the DVLA in private parking in a block of flats. A few cars were done at the same time. The front wheel was removed from said vehicle by the owner, which coincidentally meant it couldn't be loaded onto a transporter and a week later when I went he went back to the car the clamp had been removed, as had the other cars which had been clamped. 

There was a big stink a few years ago when someone left their car in a private parking area, went on holiday and had it removed by the DVLA for no tax. The DOOVLA told the woman it had been crushed but it was later found to be being used by the boss of the clamping contractor. DVLA got themselves right in the shit, pergering themselves in court and ended up having to pay the woman £25k for a new BMW as it had been "crushed". The woman eventually also got her beemer back too. Kerching!!

Anyway, it transpired that the the DVLA can only remove/clamp cars that are on land maintained by the local authority, they had wrongly assumed that they could do their shit wherever the public have easy access, i.e pub car parks e.t.c. RONG.

I think their policy is to act and then see if anybody has the balls to take them to task over it. I bet many just take it on the chin and move on. 

I seem to remember that as it's a government body you can't sue them directly or something, you have to apply to their bank for whatever compensation you think you're owed and then the DVLA take you to court to try and get it back. It's a total fuck up from start to finish.

That's why I'm not happy about the end of the tax disc, and why I'll be displaying a home made tax disc , a receipt and a note to say I've paid in my windscreen when I renew my tax.

Couldn't we have some Autoshite related tax discs made? I'd be happy to pay a few £ for one or two of them!

**Boring story alert**  :?

As a security wallah in a shopping centre, many [redundant] moons ago.....

The loading bay was controlled by the 'contract Clamping Cowboys' >> large van (RWD Trannie methinks) is chained up >> laddie boy comes back to his van (Clamper not around) >> TJs clamped front wheel up in the air/disconnect whatever connects the wheel... clamp/chain laid onto deck = van freed!

HOWEVER

.. laddie boy had forgotten he was parked 4" from a skip, on the N/S, so managed to stencil a pair of 'sad Monkey Eyes' into the van sides  :shock:

TS

the one thing that has bothered me about the end of the tax disk is that with a tax disk in the window, it can be seen that i had paid the tax, now, i'm reliant on the dvlc tossers computer been upto date and not up the fookin' spout. i mean, government computer things are alway correct and never ever make mistakes, or get thing wrong ever, do they?

I know for a fact that the strip of land (i.e not even touching the road) outside some garages on a service road round the back of some shops is calssed by those wankers as 'not private'.

I'd love to find the name/address of the head of DVLA, buy a car from the auctions and park the bastard in the middle of London and leave it here. Hpothetically/internet baravdo speaking, of course.

The "easy public access" speil is true for the Police if they want to break up KAR KROOZES on McDonalds car park but isn't true for the DVLA.

I'm not sure what happens if the land owner invites the DVLA to come onto their land and seize and untaxed vehicle, e.g a pub landlord with an abandoned car in his car park.

Doovla rigger booted hi viz mouth breather contractors tried to hiab a green '99 T reg 7 Series from the car park of a local Indian* restaurant. I observed as about 15 Pakistanis 'persuaded' the cunts to put it back. I felt a warm glow and chatted to one of the waiters about it weeks later. Basically, Doiovla twats weren't going anywhere with one of their cars, simple as.

They're cunts and they have no fucking right to do this sort of thing. The cars involved are not doing anyone any harm. Taking them away and fining some poor bastard is not moving civilisation forward one jot. Get a proper job, wankers.

I may be wrong, and often am, but I was told that you can be clamped or have a car lifted even from private land, if there is no physical barrier between the private land and a public road.

i.e your un-gated drive, a car park etc.

This is close to correct. Your driveway is ok, because it is part of your deeded property. A general car park for use by residents may not be though, UNLESS spaces are registered as part of a property - ie Flat 1 can park in space 1 or something. If the public can drive in - works car parks with no barriers, pub car parks etc, then Doovla (or rather their contractors, who don't seem nice people) can abuse the McDonalds/Boy racer rules and sweep in. I've known quite a few people fight them over clampings. Many win.

I've just been done this way; I left the ex-Twosmoke Golden Nugget Saab 900 in a little car park in the village. Several people have been parking untaxed cars there for years, and I just thought/hoped that we would continue to get away with it - particularly as it's a long and winding track from the road to the car park, so how could the DVLA find it?

Well, they did find it, because there is an arsehole on the parish council who decided to make himself even more unpopular by grassing us up. Four different people got their cars clamped.

I had two cars clamped twice outside my house in my parking spaces. Twice I removed both clamps, and launched them onto the grass verge. I stuck the UNTAXED CAR sticker on the clamps.

Should I have done this? Was it illegal?

I got two letter from the DVLA and told them to stick it each time and I wouldn't pander to their demands and wouldn't go to court over it, and I didn't hear anything back. I was out of work and was attempting to do the same thing as the teacher. I think people should try and speak up against these CUNTS - they're just clerks behind a desk receiving a huge amount of money, there is no reason to clamp a car that is not causing an obstruction. I can't believe some of you are arguing this is right? Getting clamped on private land ffs?!?!

There was a big stink a few years ago when someone left their car in a private parking area, went on holiday and had it removed by the DVLA for no tax. The DOOVLA told the woman it had been crushed but it was later found to be being used by the boss of the clamping contractor. DVLA got themselves right in the shit, pergering themselves in court and ended up having to pay the woman £25k for a new BMW as it had been "crushed". The woman eventually also got her beemer back too. Kerching!!

Anyway, it transpired that the the DVLA can only remove/clamp cars that are on land maintained by the local authority, they had wrongly assumed that they could do their shit wherever the public have easy access, i.e pub car parks e.t.c. RONG.

http://binged.it/1Ed2JZk

If you check out the back of these shops, and flats, this is  a private car park / loading area and about 4 years back 2 cars were illegally clamped by the DVLA. One hadn't moved in years, and the other was sorn, whilst the people who owned the Indian Takeaway, were on holiday in India. (They choose to not tax it for the month they were on holiday)

If you do get your car clamped, say it had been stolen/hiabed by gypsies and dumped there. A friend spotted it.

You didn't report it because a) you don't legally have to report it and B) the police have better things to do.

I think use every lie to get out of paying these devious twats.