Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June

Six-cylinder

And you can get a weeks shopping in the boot!

Mind you there was a bit of a kerfuffle when the Regional Food Police caught me loading a baguette into a Japanese car, I explained I had several Citroens and they made me promise to transfer it as soon a possible!

IMG_20190705_102051 broad.jpg

I have had this car 6 1/2 years and only this week has it been noticed what it has written on the number plate, twice and not by me.

I don't come from Essex and do not even admit to having been there in polite company!

IMG_20190705_115515 broad.jpg

26 minutes ago, SiC said:

I'm surprised that plate font even got past a tester! Is it an import MX5, going by the square plate?

Yes Eunos, imported 2002.

2 hours ago, snagglepuss said:

Yes but can a Bucketeer fit in the boot?

I could have closed the boot, but I don't think he would have ever been able to walk again!

IMG_20190705_142715 broad.jpg

Should we be reporting Bucketeer as a victim of Modern Slavery? Forced to work for the landowner, and made to sleep in a car on the property, whilst being given demeaning instructions ("just climb in this boot and I'll post photos online").

9 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Should we be reporting Bucketeer as a victim of Modern Slavery? Forced to work for the landowner, and made to sleep in a car on the property, whilst being given demeaning instructions ("just climb in this boot and I'll post photos online").

This is nothing worse than Blackadder did to Baldrick!

IMG_20190705_142623 broad.jpg

A short break from the D Rally to fix the VP 1500, a new float chamber shut off valve seems to have stopped petrol dripping on the exhaust manifold.

I declare it fit for the road once more, but for how long!

IMG_20190706_140612.jpg

I am now waiting for a friend to come over for some Range Rover parts, what better way to pass the time than a bat round on the new field bike.

The ground is getting bumpy so I have bought a roller, I now need the ground to soften up before I can use it.

IMG_20190706_134016.jpg

Mr Cylinder, would  you be interested in a standard steering wheel for your MX-5? I can offer an original MX-5 Momo leather wheel in all  black, or a wood rimmed Momo that I refinished as it was painted when I bought it. Both are dated 1991. Horn push included! Both are surplus to requirements, and I can bring to FOTU. 

7 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Mr Cylinder, would  you be interested in a standard steering wheel for your MX-5? I can offer an original MX-5 Momo leather wheel in all  black, or a wood rimmed Momo that I refinished as it was painted when I bought it. Both are dated 1991. Horn push included! Both are surplus to requirements, and I can bring to FOTU. 

My car was "personalised" when I got it, stickers on the rear panel and centre console I have peeled them off, I have got used to the alloy wheels and snooker ball gear lever knob and still don't like the air vents. However the steering wheel is great and I like it very much.

Thank you for the kind offer and quite often I like to return a car to original but I am happy with my steering wheel.

Let this be a warning to you all, this is what happens if you buy a car off of Retrorides!

mixy18.jpg

mixy8.jpg

IMG_20190707_084718 broad.jpg

21 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I am now waiting for a friend to come over for some Range Rover parts, what better way to pass the time than a bat round on the new field bike.

The ground is getting bumpy so I have bought a roller, I now need the ground to soften up before I can use it.

IMG_20190706_134016.jpg

Could you replace the bike's front wheel with the roller, do two jobs in one?

• Haha 1

I'll be turning up lunchtime on Saturday if that's OK? I'll have Parents in tow too, partly because their brining a bed to mine Saturday morning, partly because they can take the kids off for a walk and do whatever and I can muck in and help! We'll bring a picnic, and tea making facilities 

And not pay fuel, stepdad has a fuel card that covers personal milage! @Six-cylinderwe should try and nip to the house too so I can do your ram either this or next weekend

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I'll be turning up lunchtime on Saturday if that's OK? I'll have Parents in tow too, partly because their brining a bed to mine Saturday morning, partly because they can take the kids off for a walk and do whatever and I can muck in and help! We'll bring a picnic, and tea making facilities 

And not pay fuel, stepdad has a fuel card that covers personal milage! @Six-cylinderwe should try and nip to the house too so I can do your ram either this or next weekend

6 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Ohh, it's one of those kinds of weekend is it. 

The Rams round here tup the ewes. Whatever, I’m glad he’s up as I’ll be able to offload the pink Henry I liberated from my neighbour’s bin.

16 hours ago, richardmorris said:

The Rams round here tup the ewes. ...

They could do a telly review programme for sheep breeders and farmers, and call it Tup Gear.

• Haha 2

Another broken toy to fix, a Jinling does not mean I have been drinking!

I have bought a 2 year old ATV sounds very posh, but this is a cheap Chinese copy that is broken so fully Autoshite. I am told it was used for pulling a horse manege rake that was too heavy for it and it has CVT transmission issues. Also it has not been used for 6 months so now has a flat battery.

It should be with me Saturday for FoD prep day! 

IMG_20190709_152027 broad.jpg

IMG_20190709_152053 broad.jpg

IMG_20190709_152410 broad.jpg

IMG_20190709_152419 broad.jpg

IMG_20190709_152438 broad.jpg

IMG_20190709_151140 broad.jpg

IMG_20190709_152040 broad.jpg

That looks brilliant. I look forward to slowsilver fixing it so I can have a go!

Fifth pic down appears to show a component lifted from the legendary Knobvan. 

45 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

That looks brilliant. I look forward to slowsilver fixing it so I can have a go!

While I admire your optimism and thank you for your confidence in my fixerating ability I can certainly recharge or replace a battery but I'm no CVT expert (BTW what does CVT stand for again?).
TL:DR If you want a go on it, you may have to fix it yourself ?.

2 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

That fine* example of agricultural technology exudes quality*

CVT - Constant Velocity Transmission (I think)

I touched the switch gear and could feel the quality is zero!

continuously variable transmission

11 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

That fine* example of agricultural technology exudes quality*

CVT - Constant Velocity Transmission (I think)

I actually thought it was Continuously Variable Transmission, but what do I know?

EDIT: Just googled it.

Continuously variable transmission

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A continuously variable transmission (CVT),

Turns out I do know stuff after all. Who'd have thought it. Certainly not me.

EDIT again: Six-cylinder beat me to it. I know stuff but can only type really slowly.

• Like 2