Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - what date should the next FoD be?

Six-cylinder

52 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Yo @beko1987 - how much for an interior valet on the Merc next Saturday? 😎

If it's as comfy to sit in afterwards as this is we could come to some arrangement 😂

We didn't get it running by the time we left, we all just took turns sitting in it and relaxing 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hairnet said:

no tony its not a jag............

It ran earlier off its own fuel tank! Did a lap of the field before a fuel leak was found. Sounded bloody sweet too, forgot to get a video of it... 

• Like 3

I have fallen behind with my motoring notes.

The situation with the Saab is Andrew from the TSSC fitted the myriad of new heater hoses and it run rather sweetly for a V4. The clutch seems to work fine. The rear locked brake freed off with some backwards-forward shunting. Slowsilver took it around the field but he was having trouble changing gears so there is a possible problem with the linkage.

Our fun was curtailed by a fair sized fuel leak. We took the replacement tank out again and it was leaking from the drain plug, also there was a damp patch on the underside away from the drain plug. The vent tube metal outlet on the tank is part rusted away and I am concerned it is now too short to seal the rubber vent pipe to. Also the rubber filler neck tube is slit.

I have order some universal filler neck rubber pipe and got out the original fuel tank out. The problem is somehow I have to clean the inside of the tank.

@beko1987 did a splendid job cleaning up the Royale  and it feels safe to sit in now on the lovely green velour seats. We didn't get round to the will it start - Royale edition. 

Last night my friend Colin from Milton keynes Classic car club came round and somehow managed to straighten and fit the Royale scrunched up n-s front wing, it looks ok.

IMG_20230903_153253 broad.jpg

IMG_20230903_153907 broad.jpg

IMG_20230904_201959 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I am planning to go a Classic Car meet at the Greyhound, Haversham, MK197DT tonight

This is my plan for tonight Tuesday 5th Sep.

The event is free. You can buy yourself food and drink from the pub if you wish.

The greyhound, Haversham, mk19 7dt
Duration: 3 hr
Public  · Anyone on or off Facebook
Our next meet at The Greyhound! Weather is looking fantastic next week, so let’s hope for a good turnout and the usual eclectic mix of classics! Pub will be doing food, so come down for a drink and a chat with fellow enthusiasts!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

For this coming weekend 9/10 Sep I plan to be at the autumn Citroen Rally with all my running Citroens.

372907671_6402064323239315_7687803103119626151_n.jpg

And quite how many are there?🤣

I'm guessing you can walk here?

What a lovely evening last night with a good selection of cars at the greyhound.

The warm dry weather tempted me to take the Rolls Royce now it it running nicely.  The only snag is driving home in the dark with 36w  headlights so I planned to leave early to get home before dark. @Andyrew came along and kindly offered to lead me home with his Triumph Spitfire.

It seems not only are the Rolls Royce headlight only 36w they are badly adjusted as I got flashed several times and Andy tells me had to tilt his mirror to avoid mirror dazzle. 

IMG_20230905_185545 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I took aunty for a drive today.
53 minutes ago, hairnet said:

led light bar stat

I still miss the little light bar I had on the zx! Had practical uses as it made the night turn into day on the tiny B roads, and I always won the game of 'turn your fucking headlights down you twat' 👌

32 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I still miss the little light bar I had on the zx! Had practical uses as it made the night turn into day on the tiny B roads, and I always won the game of 'turn your fucking headlights down you twat' 👌

I do miss the I think it was 300W worth of spot lights I had on the front of my Niva  - that used to be very effective at getting approaching traffic to very quickly dip their lights if they had previously proven reluctant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today I took Aunty for an outing to a sports center.

This relationship is not what you are thinking!

IMG_20230906_091350 broad.jpg

What did you think about the old girl?

Presumably that's Zels / my old one?

Certainly a classy motor from that angle. 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

What did you think about the old girl?

Presumably that's Zels / my old one?

Certainly a classy motor from that angle. 

Interestingly I had always said to Zel I wanted to do a back to back with my Peugeot 404 and now I have them both on the drive together.

Today's journey was a normal trip I have often done to including getting across Aylesbury at the end of rush hour with queuing traffic. It drove far better than the last P4 Rover I drove and while it might not accelerate, it gathers speed with authority. I also took it to Tesco's and was approached twice with people saying how wonderful it was. 

Also on the drive are the 1933 Rolls Royce and our 1976 Daimler Sovereign S2. The Rover sits between them in terms of ease of driving, the Rolls is much harder work and the S2 so much easier. 

Edit - While the Rover is currently residing with me it still belongs to Zel and is For Sale as per his ad in the For Sale section.

IMG_20230901_151550 broad.jpg

I can’t remember if those are really pillarless or just have an invisible* b pillar.

was it one of these that Peter Davison wrecked the gearbox on an episode of all creatures great and small?

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

I can’t remember if those are really pillarless or just have an invisible* b pillar.

There is a B pillar behind the door edges.

One unusual thing is the chrome strip between the drivers window and the quarter light lowers with the main glass.

IMG_20230901_164049 crop window broad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Also on the drive are the 1933 Rolls Royce and our 1976 Daimler Sovereign S2. The Rover sits between them in terms of ease of driving, the Rolls is much harder work and the S2 so much easier. 

The P4 steering I found really light once moving. Even rolling at slow speed it is easily manageable. 

However trying to dry steer it is a quick reminder that you shouldn't be doing it. Possibly radials don't help with this but even so, it was a workout when I had to turn it on my tight driveway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Interestingly I had always said to Zel I wanted to do a back to back with my Peugeot 404 and now I have them both on the drive together.

404 was a later design tho, more comparable with A60, which came quite swiftly after the A55. Both are class.

6 hours ago, High Jetter said:

404 was a later design tho, more comparable with A60, which came quite swiftly after the A55. Both are class.

You are right the Rover came out in 1949 and the Peugeot 1960, but they were both on sale in 1963 so the new car buyer had the choice. The Rover 110 cost £1382 including tax while the Peugeot 404 was significantly cheaper at £1092. Would the Rover buyer really consider a cheaper "foreign car", probably not.

The Austin A60 Cambridge only cost £721 in 1963, it would be interesting to do a back to back with the Peugeot 404. I have driven a Cambridge and my memory says the 404 is much better but £371 better I am not so sure.

43 minutes ago, SiC said:

How much was the Rover P5 at the time? That's a closer release date to the 404. 

The P4 selling till then is a classic case of if it'll still sell, the manufacturer will still keep selling.

I will just check in my October 1963 Autocar that cost 1 shilling 3D old pennies (6p in new money).

The Rover 3-Litre (P5) cost £1641 so quite a lot more than the 110. The P4 ran 1949 to 1964 and the P5 1958 to 1973.

• Like 2

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Target Met!

This afternoon we managed to collect all 12 of our running Citroens from various locations and Line them up on the Chevrons Rally field. This included the AX from the garage where it has had a fresh MOT.

IMG_20230908_183404 broad.jpg

IMG_20230908_184940 broad.jpg

IMG_20230908_195942 broad.jpg