Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - It is here!

Six-cylinder

6 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

what's blocking it in not starting due to reasons

whatever he parks in front 100% more chance of moving

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

You need to be careful saying words like that around him 😂

Thanks for the advice. I've realised I also live quite nearby as well! 🤣

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have been to see our Mini Mayfair today and I am so pleased with the progress.

IMG_20240820_113703 broad.jpg

It’s looking like a car!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MAF260 said:

Is that a W124 320 CE? I have a serious want for one of those!

It’s my ex daily car- I bought it as a 40th birthday present to myself at 73,000 miles in 2012,  and used it for 9 years and 50,000 miles. It’s an amazingly capable car and I highly recommend one.

Last night was a monthly Oxford area meeting of the TSSC and while I have a working Vitesse and Toledo could not resist taking up the offer of an overnight loan of a 1964 Triumph 2000 manual o/d saloon.

This car had been of the road for many years and Mark the owner (same owner as the 2000 Estate I borrow) has been though the cars to make it safe and reliable. The paintwork has many blemishes but the car is remarkably rot free.   

I have enjoyed my time with this 2000, but have now returned it.

IMG_20240820_143031 broad.jpg

456084373_10161451049124570_3606562477909896351_n broad.jpg

Yesterday evening Colin came to the FoD to take his Mercedes 450SLC for a run as it now has it's headlights back in, that were removed for rust prevention behind them.

Colin did just 9 miles and he came back with his wallet torn apart, well he had to put petrol in it!

All is not well, even after the thermostat had been taken out and a rad flush carried out, it came back with banging sounds. The radiator is getting warm all over and the temp gauge shows lowish. We suspect the water is not circulating and it is getting hot spots in the engine itself. Next step forward is going to be a new water pump.

-------

Our Citroen XM is needed to fill in for our Mercedes 200TE that has a puncture and next weekend is going to the Chevrons Citroen rally. Trouble is it is still not right and has a hardish ride. It has had the rear spheres replaced which improved it a lot but what next?

IMG_20240823_184817 broad.jpg

IMG_20240823_200516 broad.jpg

IMG_20240823_184938 broad.jpg

• Like 4

In the 11 ½ years we have bought cars from this forum we have grabbed 42 of the finest cars.

Trouble is we still have 19 of them!

Does your xm have the hydractiveII? There used to be a kit available from someone in the ccc that did the job of the dead diodes that switched from normal to firm.

30 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Does your xm have the hydractiveII? There used to be a kit available from someone in the ccc that did the job of the dead diodes that switched from normal to firm.

It is hydractivell but it is harder than the sport setting.

IMG_20240724_130418 broad.jpg

Were they actually new spheres, or new old stock from somewhere?

I just find myself wondering if they may be flat if they've been sitting on someone's shelf for the last 30 years.  Not sure if the accumulator sphere(s?) would affect the ride quality drastically.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Were they actually new spheres, or new old stock from somewhere?

I just find myself wondering if they may be flat if they've been sitting on someone's shelf for the last 30 years.  Not sure if the accumulator sphere(s?) would affect the ride quality drastically.

I believe they are new and not old stock.

I bought them from AEP Scotland Ltd.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

@ianbmw started getting the Carlton Estate repaired for an MOT after its fail. The fuel leak repaired, ABS light is out, indicators work.

Next time the heavy work tie rod, bushes and rear brake discs starts.

Who switched the light off at 8.30pm!

IMG_20240827_180118 broad.jpg

Silly Carlton, after all that hard graft I’m buggered if a few “minor” mot issues will let it die.

but once it’s done, I’m going to take a huge amount of enjoyment in bringing that spirited 1.8GL back to life……because I secretly know you want that one working!

10 minutes ago, ianbmw said:

Silly Carlton, after all that hard graft I’m buggered if a few “minor” mot issues will let it die.

but once it’s done, I’m going to take a huge amount of enjoyment in bringing that spirited 1.8GL back to life……because I secretly know you want that one working!

NO, No, no it is a sad car lacking 2 cylinders, auto gearbox, a/c, leather, cruise etc. 

Just remember how much trouble it gave when @Andyrew owned it!

20980692178_c209eaebeb_b.jpg

10 minutes ago, ianbmw said:

Not sure what you’ve done to it, because it was manual when I last saw it!

Luxo barges should have big engines and be Automatic!

I am thinking about what wheels to use on my Mini. I have four of these 12" but some have said I should stick to 10" as that would be original to this car.

IMG_20240903_121517 broad.jpg

6 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I am thinking about what wheels to use on my Mini. I have four of these 12" but some have said I should stick to 10" as that would be original to this car.

IMG_20240903_121517 broad.jpg

I would go for 10 inch wheels :) and I am not just saying that because Me and @Mrs6C can then pinch them for our own use :mrgreen: but I personally find 10 inch wheeled mini's the most atheistically pleasing, and ya dont see many original 10 inch wheeled Mini's these days, I mean yeah you see fair few Mk1's etc I suppose at shows, but most standard 1980's mini's like yours, usually have had different wheels or various things fitted to it over the year

I also have heard that Mini's handle best/have the best handling feel when on original 10 inch wheels, but I have never driven any sort Mini sadly! so I cant personally vouch for that

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Chris, it's your car - use whatever wheels you like!

If I had a must have idea then it would be easy.

• Haha 1

Today once again @Slowsilverturned out to help me get my Citroen LNA out of storage. It is the Citroen Chevrons Rally this coming weekend and I had offered to take it.

Somehow the LNA had worked its way to the back row and we had to move in no particular order:

Peugeot 404, Citroen Ami, BMW 330CI, Triumph Toledo, Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coup, Lancia Trevi and Gamma. They all started even if some needed the jump pack.

IMG_20240903_151200 broad.jpg

IMG_20240903_145714 broad.jpg

IMG_20240903_142105 broad.jpg

IMG_20240903_142003 broad.jpg