Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

1 hour ago, Three Speed said:

Apparently Vauxhall sold a thing called an Antara for nearly 10 years. AFAIK I saw my first one yesterday. Never heard of it. Wikipedia says it was the same as the Captiva which I have rented abroad. Picture shamelessly robbed from the Independent despite not subscribing.

CF7B8F31-B71F-48F2-BF2A-55235D3F80C5.jpeg

The only fleet car our company ever accepted back as not fit for purpose.

It was a given a hard life down droves, across fields and building sites and  loaded up with kit, but the reliability was laughable.

The engineer who's car it was kept all his stuff in plastic boxes to transfer easily in and out of hire cars. It was that bad.

I'm sure there's plenty of old cars we've not heard about until recently, well here's one I hadn't heard about until recently -

image.png.8a17756c78bd59a8c6fac16f9711faca.png

The 1910 Phänomobil combines the comfort of an open saloon with the greatest possible horror of an internal combustion engine. Phänomen started as a motorcycle builder in Zittau Germany in 1900, founded by Gustav Hiller, who had previously (1894) patented a textile machine for making pom-poms.

Holler’s Phänomobil was made from 1905 to 1927, as a relatively inexpensive saloon using an engine from his motorcycles. It’s a big four-cylinder F-head motor with twin fans blowing on the air-cooled cylinders...probably because the beast was too slow to properly cool the motor while driving.

Hiller took his inspiration from the world’s first powered vehicle, Cugnot’s 1766 ‘fardier’, which was similarly ungainly but had a steam engine over the front wheel.

21 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Saw one of these today. 

Porsche Taycan. A German Tesla by all accounts. 

1200px-Porsche_Taycan_4S_IMG_3526.thumb.jpg.17c6d563103b34d037ededdc477fc853.jpgIt kinda reminds me of a Panhard. 

5f34021e-35ac-4de2-a075-515aaae59259.jpg.fec6aa45dc9bd563a4413e03cef15779.jpg

It's expensive and modern, but the Taycan is /very/ nice. For an electric car the base-spec one just feels natural and enjoyable to drive, rather than all whizzy and remote.

2 minutes ago, RichardK said:

It's expensive and modern, but the Taycan is /very/ nice. For an electric car the base-spec one just feels natural and enjoyable to drive, rather than all whizzy and remote.

£83k nice?

6 hours ago, JMotor said:

A reference to the movie Space balls? 

So yeah it's probably an inside joke that made it to sale. 

That's right.

While I think musk is an absolute twat in many ways who should just let his lawyers make all his public announcements I have to admit he is a true visionary and feel deep admiration for his achievements. 

It's very annoying.

18 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Anyone willing to crowd-fund me to buy this. I just need another £40k ..well worth the entertainment of an all new and ever detailed thread as I resurrect this neglected glorious example of jaguar eccentricity. 

21 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Bentley Buccaneer:

https://www.rrsilverspirit.com/models/1996Buccaneer.htm

Reminds me of the '98 S Type Jaguar!👍😎 

If you’re looking for Bespoke Bentleys from Brunei then you can’t pass up the Dominator.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/05/bentley-dominator-meet-rolls-royce-cullinans-long-lost-daddy/

On 5/15/2021 at 5:15 PM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I was looking at the Tesla site to see what the starting price for an S is, couldn’t find out. But did discover this , which I’d never heard of; the Plaid.

CC73E92C-A754-49EA-B29B-E8B08B115306.thumb.png.49868e67457403c9f9f0d077a30a3906.pngC438B222-8AB0-44AE-A55A-AFFFDDD7A9D8.thumb.png.d8d885692c7de8e45d738e6fd845aa8a.png

Not 100% sure it’s not one Elon’s little jokes...

I look at this without a single ounce of excitement. Soulless disposable tech. 

On 5/15/2021 at 5:05 PM, Timewaster said:

£83k nice?

£70K for the RWD one, though IMO £75K as the big battery is worth it, and you might as well push the extra £3K for the Cross Turismo with a more useful boot opening, AWD and big battery as standard.

Is a car worth £70K? Not to me. Not to monthly payments. Not to finance. etc.

But is it 2x as nice as a £35K electric car such as a DS or whatever? Absolutely. The build quality is there, the comfort, tech and finish, the refinement and more importantly the range expectation is fair. I honestly have no idea how that couple got in the news ballsing up their Taycan range - they work as well as any other EV and deliver a similar range/performance/speed equation.

Car values are on crack for new things now. A Skoda Scala can hit £31K with the bits that make you look twice at it (the big pano roof/black glass tailgate). A Golf TDI is approaching £37K with some nice options.