Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

Nothing Ford, I am afraid and excuse poor photos but its getting dark (extremely windy), I have managed to get these out and photograph them.   There used to be more but don't know what's happened to those....

If you want a better quality shot or want to borrow any, Vulgalour,  you are welcome....

post-5367-0-87513300-1552240529_thumb.jpg

post-5367-0-73440000-1552240581_thumb.jpg

The font on that Carleton Ford badge looks about right to my eye.  Some of them look too old, but that's confused by the fact some dealerships just don't seem to have changed their emblems for decades.  the other one I like is the Chev City emblem, that has the right sort of look about it, but would perhaps look more at home on something that was living in New York than something that spent its time in a rural or semi-rural area, as I imagine this car to have done.  It's tricky really, if I get it wrong it'll stick out like a sore thumb and if I get it right you won't even notice it.

Matchbox Ford Capri makeover now.

attachicon.gif20190305_143954.jpg

Been badly painted in the past.

Had some Ford thunder grey mettalic paint left over from painting a wing mirror for my Mondeo,be rude to let the dregs sit in the can.

Never was a fan of the original wheels,so these later matchbox ones were fitted,I think they suit it?

attachicon.gif20190309_151714.jpg

attachicon.gif20190309_151841.jpg

"Fill her up Eddy!

Oh and check under the bonnet please"

attachicon.gif20190309_151945.jpg

attachicon.gif20190309_151757.jpg

"Mind if I take 'er fer a quick spin M8?"

"Not at all,have fun smoll Eddy"

:mrgreen:

Fantastic work on the Capri resto.

What do you do about replacing the rivet heads for the base after you've drilled them out, and did you use paintstripper on the crappy old paint?

Fantastic work on the Capri resto.

What do you do about replacing the rivet heads for the base after you've drilled them out, and did you use paintstripper on the crappy old paint?

Thank you,

I used some small self tapping screws on this one.

I bought a bag of them in our local branch of Maplin before it closed.

Sadly I'm getting low on them,so will have to look elsewhere for some more.

Please don't ask what size they are,because I don't know.

Me and numbers don't mix!

post-5543-0-49612500-1552256508_thumb.jpg

Paint was stripped using some old Nitromors I found in the reusable paint section of the local tip :mrgreen:

Went to my local Toy Fair today and picked up a few things even though I really need to downsize my collection!

post-3802-0-08861500-1552254688_thumb.jpg

Really pleased to get the Vitesse Renault Megane Scenic as it means I've finally got the full set. Had the 5dr hatch, Classic loon and Coupe version for over 20 years which is pretty scary thinking about it. An brought the convertible a few years ago off ebay.

post-3802-0-03915700-1552256747_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-97270000-1552256777_thumb.jpg

The Corgi Volvo 245DL was a must too as had one when I was a kid. Plus all the recent talk on here about them helped.

post-3802-0-85939500-1552257422_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

I used some small self tapping screws on this one.

I bought a bag of them in our local branch of Maplin before it closed.

Sadly I'm getting low on them,so will have to look elsewhere for some more.

Please don't ask what size they are,because I don't know.

Me and numbers don't mix!

attachicon.gif20190310_221928.jpg

Paint was stripped using some old Nitromors I found in the reusable paint section of the local tip :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll try and find something similar.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can buy fake rivet heads which can be bonded in place to look original- anyone heard of this?

Went to my local Toy Fair today and picked up a few things even though I really need to downsize my collection!

20190310_214734.jpg

Really pleased to get the Vitesse Renault Megane Scenic as it means I've finally got the full set. Had the 5dr hatch, Classic loon and Coupe version for over 20 years which is pretty scary thinking about it. An brought the convertible a few years ago off ebay.

20190310_222143.jpg

20190310_222259.jpg

The Corgi Volvo 245DL was a must too as had one when I was a kid. Plus all the recent talk on here about them helped.

20190310_223128.jpg

That Chevrolet Chevette looks interesting!

Having owned a Megane, the 5 door hatch is not easy to find in 1/43. It took me over a year to find one in the same burgundy colour as mine and even still, it was a prefacelift model. I never did find the Norev facelift 5 door.

attachicon.gif20190310_214734.jpg

attachicon.gif20190310_222143.jpg

attachicon.gif20190310_222259.jpg

attachicon.gif20190310_223128.jpg

You will need some ibuprofen with all those Migraines

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll try and find something similar.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can buy fake rivet heads which can be bonded in place to look original- anyone heard of this?

I have heard of glue-on rivet heads but I don't think it was on here.  It may have been on one of the diecast restorers you tube channels. A quick search on Google for 'diecast fake rivet heads' suggests that eBay sellers list such things for toy and model cars.

That Chevrolet Chevette looks interesting!

Having owned a Megane, the 5 door hatch is not easy to find in 1/43. It took me over a year to find one in the same burgundy colour as mine and even still, it was a prefacelift model. I never did find the Norev facelift 5 door.

Agree I think the 5dr and the Scenic are the rarest versions to find. Never seen a facelift 5 dr Megane myself either, only seen a facelift Coupe by Norev.

Had to get the Chevrolet Chevette even though I didn't really need it. Felt sorry for it in a box of various when I saw it. I've got a later recasting of it too somewhere. This one was made by Kidco. I have a Honda Civic in a similar livery by them as well.

post-3802-0-78857800-1552262773_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-30494700-1552262790_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-00134200-1552262826_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-64609600-1552262865_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-85240000-1552262806_thumb.jpg

Just trying to decided if I should sell this and the Matchbox Mercedes I picked up from the Toy Fair. As could do with posting up another Diecast For Sale thread soon to help free up some space.

I've also seen those glue on rivets mentioned on someone's You Tube Diecast restorations. Maybe someone else might know who and if they had a link for them?

More buyage from me today. Seemingly, Matchboxes aren't in short supply here.

32405083407_2b89b51010_b.jpg

The Chevy pickup is quite nicely proportioned and a nice colour too, though I could take or leave the graphics. The Golf is to go with my other Country, which is a blue/green shade. Despite a couple of hundred blister packs to choose from, I really struggled to select a fourth, as it was 4 for £5 (or thereabouts); so, I picked up a second Wagoneer, as I fancy giving one a bit of a respray as a test.

Here's said subject in its current glory:

46623912624_25e12bee5e_z.jpg

Not a bad little model for an out and out toy in 2019 but plenty of scope for betterment. I'd love to do a wheel swap but that'd mean finding another donor for the wheels, which isn't impossible but may take a while. I'm thinking a colour change would be good and I've got just the ticket, though I reckon the wood grain would need a repaint too, as it has a lot of body colour in the background. I've seen plenty of them on the shelves anyway, so it's hardly a loss to society if I screw it all up (or even, take absolutely ages until I actually do anything with it!)

I also had a parcel arrive today, off another trader on Trademe. Slightly bittersweet this one, as it only contained 2 subjects instead of 3, as the 3rd one (the one I actually really wanted) ended bidding north of £15 and I bottled it. These two were delivered to my door for a tenner a piece, which is psychologically much more acceptable:

46623913414_86ce673d12_z.jpg

A rather lovely Moskvitch van from that unpronounceable/varying named USSR manufacturer that I can never remember! I actually saw one of these in a batch of 6 similar USSR models a few days ago, selling for a rather tempting £35 - had they not all been suffering waaay more with zinc pest than Norevs do with warping. And yet somebody bought them! Anyway, it's a little scratched about but nice all the same. I also worked out how to open the bonnet - it flips forwards! The mechanism isn't great though, likewise the panel fit - that's about the best line up I could achieve.

32405084197_92158e7a4a_z.jpg

Here's the rear. Sadly lacking any opening parts, bar the bonnet. I can't find any evidence of zinc pest, only scratches, so that'll do me. Silly question here but is zinc pest 'contageous'?! As in, could an afflicted model contaminate another model sitting close by?

Here's my other Moskvitch, a slightly less decadent single headlamper:

40381789873_7024a50cf0_z.jpg

Round the back though, it's got the optional separate piece rear lamps, not those cruddy painted efforts that worker-mobile has to do with. Take that, tradesmen!

33471036348_09c4b8d1b6_z.jpg

Second up was this, which I actually wasn't that bothered about winning:

32405084627_d8e28c95a6_b.jpg

That was mostly on the basis that I didn't quite like it as much as my Aeroflot Volga wagon and I also wasn't sure if it was a later version, due to lesser detailing. Like a non-opening rear door, for instance.

33471034708_f677864209_z.jpg

Turns out that the driver's side rear door doesn't open, presumably because there's a stretcher there, where as the passenger side rear does, because it has a seat! I now appreciate the casting requirements to fulfil this unnecessary detail but minus points have to be awarded for the deletion of wing mirrors and fragile chromed windscreen wipers. Also, the Aeroflot livery is a lot more interesting, so it was always a hard battle to take on. Thankfully though, a bit of internet researching shows that both these models are early enough to escape the zinc pest casting issues.

I'm now very much overflowing with 1/43s and am at bursting point display space-wise, so I may have to pack a few away, or sell some, or stop buying them. None of which sounds like a great proposition!

First World problems, eh?! 

EDIT: Here's a snap I forgot to upload, of my 4 current USSR chods together.

40381790713_79aec0b15a_z.jpg

Agree I think the 5dr and the Scenic are the rarest versions to find. Never seen a facelift 5 dr Megane myself either, only seen a facelift Coupe by Norev.

Had to get the Chevrolet Chevette even though I didn't really need it. Felt sorry for it in a box of various when I saw it. I've got a later recasting of it too somewhere. This one was made by Kidco. I have a Honda Civic in a similar livery by them as well.

20190310_235138.jpg

20190310_235153.jpg

20190310_235221.jpg

20190310_235228.jpg

20190310_235204.jpg

Just trying to decided if I should sell this and the Matchbox Mercedes I picked up from the Toy Fair. As could do with posting up another Diecast For Sale thread soon to help free up some space.

I've also seen those glue on rivets mentioned on someone's You Tube Diecast restorations. Maybe someone else might know who and if they had a link for them?

I'd like the Chevette if it's going to be available...

Those come from the Airfix-ownership period, they issued Kidco castings with Dinky moulded into the baseplates and they were sold carded on blister packs to try and get some of the Hot Wheels market I suppose.   They didn't go to the length of re-jigging a mould to make a Vauxhall front so continuted to be sold here as Chevrolets....

Those come from the Airfix-ownership period, they issued Kidco castings with Dinky moulded into the baseplates and they were sold carded on blister packs to try and get some of the Hot Wheels market I suppose.   They didn't go to the length of re-jigging a mould to make a Vauxhall front so continuted to be sold here as Chevrolets....

Is that where this Dinky Accord would have come from then?

24613073595_430ae98471_b.jpg

Toyfair Purchases Jan. 2016 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I'd like the Chevette if it's going to be available...

No problem, it yours for the 50p I paid if you want it plus the postage?

Will try and have another Diecast clearout too some time this week all being well. So can hang on to it if you want to wait in case there something else.

Have the Kidco and Dinky Accord in playworn condition that will be for sale too if anyone wants one.

Those come from the Airfix-ownership period, they issued Kidco castings with Dinky moulded into the baseplates and they were sold carded on blister packs to try and get some of the Hot Wheels market I suppose. They didn't go to the length of re-jigging a mould to make a Vauxhall front so continuted to be sold here as Chevrolets....

Shows how desperate Dinky were in the late 70’s. Subject matter aside they couldn’t possibly compete with a hot wheels or a matchbox, even some might say a Corgi Junior.

Model supplies also provided me with the stickers for the ex-eddy Foden. They worked well. I'm always happy with plastic parts and decals from Steve Flowers. However, I also ordered a replacement tailgate for this, and on the trial fit the lugs snapped. Their metal parts are 'ok', but you have to be very careful indeed.

post-20084-0-64838000-1552388024_thumb.jpg

post-20084-0-16094200-1552388035_thumb.jpg

On 3/11/2019 at 12:29 AM, Burnside said:

I had a no-name Chevy Chevette which I picked up new in the early '90s and may or may not have been based on the Kidco casting, though it featured opening doors. Like so many of my diecast, it was inflicted with my silver-paint attentions.

20180620_171947 (2).jpg

I think it went to 155V6 of this parish, along with many more weird and wonderful diecast oddballs.

Also had the Hot Wheels drag strip version, part of the Flying Customs range, but never had it out of the box. Think JunkyardDog got this 'un?

Hot Wheels Flying Customs Chevrolet Chevette.jpg

[Stock pic]

Loving Jon's recent Soviet additions; I must dig mine out too sometime (even if only to see how bad the zinc pest has got on some of them).