Jump to content

Shite in Miniature II


Recommended Posts

Posted

Been doing more on my diorama thingy today. I’d forgotten how damn long it takes making up and painting little kits and items to detail these things. 
But, my little garage workshop section is coming together nicely. 
Ignore the front edge of the roof! I’ve got to make that good yet, it had an overhang which was too big to fit the space so I carefully brutally chopped it off! 
The brown bit is a slope down to the road, which is made from polystyrene carved to shape, coated in filler then painted. Tomorrow I’ll put some glue over it and some grass fibres on.

IMG_0131.jpeg.620a3faf81681d76ae10e7f763000b69.jpeg
 
Bits & bobs inside the workshop are 3D printed tool boxes, shelves, workbench, compressor etc etc. 
 
IMG_0132.jpeg.b8cbaf83ee3095b743fb7ce43a7c07b9.jpeg
 
Outside, a Cortina is up on a set of 3D printed axle stands with the jack next to it. Stands still need painting. Oil drum is also 3D printed. Two petrol pumps are actually the two plastic mouldings attached to the James Bond partwork Renault Fuego box base! I just snapped them off, filed the base flat and glued them in place, followed by a dirty black oily wash over them.


IMG_0133.jpeg.d8d8c79891f16fda241c9de91d62f569.jpeg
 
Also been building this little substation to fill an unused space.

IMG_0134.jpeg.25fd1c19a3ac6784bf75e7c295bf2893.jpeg

Sad bastard with too much time on my hands aren’t I!!

Posted

That looks great Dan!

I've got a few small bits finished,

Having seen the really nice one Bunglebus had, I decided to re paint my Norev Citroen GS

IMG_6222.JPG.3c858bbd6fb6d547a49254e82c723f8d.JPG

Unfortunately it was so long ago that I started it, I've forgotten what I did with the rear lights!

IMG_6223.JPG.35f7586ed0fd3f03adc03a9fabe327ac.JPG Norev Opel GT in metal with a bonnet moulded from my plastic version in resin

IMG_6224.JPG.4dd24c1b493d783345fb449190365f63.JPG

What a great shape!

IMG_6225.JPG.42618a974e10e249ae324839cee4b8bb.JPG

Spot On Fiat Multipla

IMG_6226.JPG.7a73d5eca5ac788b213b7d3b686bbf8d.JPG

Lastly I've just had a delivery from Steve Flowers of their replica Spot On Mini Seven

IMG_6227.JPG.5a388537d29862e748a366a7f2c86327.JPG

It looks pretty good and I'm looking forward to building it!

 

Edit; I've just noticed from the pic above that the Fiat's steering wheel has somehow popped off, how annoying!

Posted

As the GS is red, would glue and glaze work in the rear lamp holes?

  • Thanks 1
Posted
6 hours ago, ambassador84 said:

Asda are currently getting in big quantities of Case Q Hot Wheels for their £1.35 Rollback promotion. A rather good mix.

Its exceptionally rare these days im first to a new Case.

20261005_134546.jpg

My local Asda they've gone up to £1.80

Posted
2 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Been doing more on my diorama thingy today. I’d forgotten how damn long it takes making up and painting little kits and items to detail these things. 
But, my little garage workshop section is coming together nicely. 
Ignore the front edge of the roof! I’ve got to make that good yet, it had an overhang which was too big to fit the space so I carefully brutally chopped it off! 
The brown bit is a slope down to the road, which is made from polystyrene carved to shape, coated in filler then painted. Tomorrow I’ll put some glue over it and some grass fibres on.

IMG_0131.jpeg.620a3faf81681d76ae10e7f763000b69.jpeg
 
Bits & bobs inside the workshop are 3D printed tool boxes, shelves, workbench, compressor etc etc. 
 
IMG_0132.jpeg.b8cbaf83ee3095b743fb7ce43a7c07b9.jpeg
 
Outside, a Cortina is up on a set of 3D printed axle stands with the jack next to it. Stands still need painting. Oil drum is also 3D printed. Two petrol pumps are actually the two plastic mouldings attached to the James Bond partwork Renault Fuego box base! I just snapped them off, filed the base flat and glued them in place, followed by a dirty black oily wash over them.


IMG_0133.jpeg.d8d8c79891f16fda241c9de91d62f569.jpeg
 
Also been building this little substation to fill an unused space.

IMG_0134.jpeg.25fd1c19a3ac6784bf75e7c295bf2893.jpeg

Sad bastard with too much time on my hands aren’t I!!

That, is amazing work Dan. If I could create half as good as what you do, I'd be well chuffed.

I'd like to create a set of garages for both my 1/43 and 1/64 cars. A bit like these:

s-l1200(19).webp.1e152bf35d527a55686b1192a0f14979.webp

s-l1200(18).webp.62f4435f96c83769b52d055c551daeee.webp

s-l1200(17).webp.d419cc1cd794fd58eba6337eda9671ec.webp

These ones are on eBay and are only 1/76 scale. I did write to the seller of the top one and hen mentioned he was looking into making the scale bigger, but when I asked for an update later on, I didn't get a reply. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Lord Sterling said:

That, is amazing work Dan. If I could create half as good as what you do, I'd be well chuffed.

I'd like to create a set of garages for both my 1/43 and 1/64 cars. A bit like these:

s-l1200(19).webp.1e152bf35d527a55686b1192a0f14979.webp

s-l1200(18).webp.62f4435f96c83769b52d055c551daeee.webp

s-l1200(17).webp.d419cc1cd794fd58eba6337eda9671ec.webp

These ones are on eBay and are only 1/76 scale. I did write to the seller of the top one and hen mentioned he was looking into making the scale bigger, but when I asked for an update later on, I didn't get a reply. 

Cheers Mo!

Honestly, it’s not all that hard to do. Most of those garages I built are nothing more than artists card for the basic structure with suitable sized brick paper glued on. 
Most of what I do for making buildings and scenery is what I’ve learned building model railways over the years. Speaking of which, don’t forget that 1/43 scale is the same as O gauge model railways - and there’s quite a lot of scenic and building related stuff available for that.

This site is worth a look too.

https://www.kingswaymodels.com/product-page/olu-lock-up-garages-1-43

nice set of garages there, and £11 isn’t overly expensive for a complete card kit. Everything is there to finish them and they’re dead easy to make up. One of the buildings on my diorama is from them. 
Don’t be afraid to customise them either. There’s no reason you can’t combine them with 3D printed bits & bobs from eBay or wherever, replace the roof for a bit of corrugated card or plastic for a bit more realism, add graffiti and weeds etc etc… just being creative really.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted
6 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Two petrol pumps are actually the two plastic mouldings attached to the James Bond partwork Renault Fuego box base! I just snapped them off, filed the base flat and glued them in place, followed by a dirty black oily wash over them.
IMG_0133.jpeg.d8d8c79891f16fda241c9de91d62f569.jpeg

That explains it! I had to read that back to make sense of BP GASOIL on a diesel pump!

Gasoil/Gazole is for French-speaking people. I’m pretty sure for UK it’s always been Diesel (or DERV going right back). I had a proper twitch.

So, I wondered where you got your sticker set from. Then found out you had already supplied a clue. So had to go off and have a look didn’t I. I was supposed to be fixing the dishwasher while she was out, too.

A Fuego model with fuel pumps

IMG_0229.jpeg.9e7e1b772f50f72be9810b82046ef638.jpeg

The actual scene in the film

IMG_0228.jpeg.d9255387f23c22bf2fd5e8163ff1216f.jpeg

Oh look, a French number plate.  Because ….filmed on location in France

IMG_0231.jpeg.cab1420239415deb331e685534779b86.jpeg

Verdict: subtly-hidden Frenchness. We might have spies over here!  

IMG_0235.jpeg.4a2d3a1976befbaf213701b8f4cae625.jpeg

 

Fantastic Garage, BTW !

  • Like 4
Posted
1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

Cheers Mo!

Honestly, it’s not all that hard to do. Most of those garages I built are nothing more than artists card for the basic structure with suitable sized brick paper glued on. 
Most of what I do for making buildings and scenery is what I’ve learned building model railways over the years. Speaking of which, don’t forget that 1/43 scale is the same as O gauge model railways - and there’s quite a lot of scenic and building related stuff available for that.

This site is worth a look too.

https://www.kingswaymodels.com/product-page/olu-lock-up-garages-1-43

nice set of garages there, and £11 isn’t overly expensive for a complete card kit. Everything is there to finish them and they’re dead easy to make up. One of the buildings on my diorama is from them. 
Don’t be afraid to customise them either. There’s no reason you can’t combine them with 3D printed bits & bobs from eBay or wherever, replace the roof for a bit of corrugated card or plastic for a bit more realism, add graffiti and weeds etc etc… just being creative really.

Those stands look off-balance, tbh. The car looks smoll compared to the windows, and what's next to it, a Lada?

Posted

WANTED: Does anyone here either have soare 1/24 parts or does anyone here do 3D printing?

I would like to just complete my 1/24 Peugeot 205 T-16. The void wheel is sasly annoying me. This is the style I'm looking for:

20261006_014000.jpg.2bcce8baa53f2ab779356a0b52f8963f.jpg

I don't want to buy another spare car just for a wheel cap as I did with the 1/24 Jag for the rear bumper.

Posted
6 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

WANTED: Does anyone here either have soare 1/24 parts or does anyone here do 3D printing?

I would like to just complete my 1/24 Peugeot 205 T-16. The void wheel is sasly annoying me. This is the style I'm looking for:

20261006_014000.jpg.2bcce8baa53f2ab779356a0b52f8963f.jpg

I don't want to buy another spare car just for a wheel cap as I did with the 1/24 Jag for the rear bumper.

If you got one of the putty and resin kits, I'm sure you could make one that would be a very good likeness.

I don't know where you are, but I'm in East Sussex and would give it a go for you.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Posted

image.png.c754a9c8843c11132e662fcb1a9bd00d.png

White Lightening repaired with a Red Rider donor

PXL_20261006_073347881.MACRO_FOCUS.jpg.a15601ca0215ea05b2ab32337fd6eef2.jpg

PXL_20261006_073340363.jpg

PXL_20261006_073354858.MACRO_FOCUS.jpg

  • Like 3
Posted
8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Those stands look off-balance, tbh. The car looks smoll compared to the windows, and what's next to it, a Lada?

It’s all scaled to 1/43. The stands might look off balance because of the ground texture paint - it’s got little gritty bits in it which are actually very annoying in hindsight! Kinda wish I hadn’t used that paint now but can’t really change that now.

Car next to it is a Lada. Was a 007 partwork car in that dark blue so I stripped it and resprayed it beige!

  • Like 1
Posted
10 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

That explains it! I had to read that back to make sense of BP GASOIL on a diesel pump!

Gasoil/Gazole is for French-speaking people. I’m pretty sure for UK it’s always been Diesel (or DERV going right back). I had a proper twitch.

So, I wondered where you got your sticker set from. Then found out you had already supplied a clue. So had to go off and have a look didn’t I. I was supposed to be fixing the dishwasher while she was out, too.

A Fuego model with fuel pumps

IMG_0229.jpeg.9e7e1b772f50f72be9810b82046ef638.jpeg

The actual scene in the film

IMG_0228.jpeg.d9255387f23c22bf2fd5e8163ff1216f.jpeg

Oh look, a French number plate.  Because ….filmed on location in France

IMG_0231.jpeg.cab1420239415deb331e685534779b86.jpeg

Verdict: subtly-hidden Frenchness. We might have spies over here!  

IMG_0235.jpeg.4a2d3a1976befbaf213701b8f4cae625.jpeg

 

Fantastic Garage, BTW !

I’ll probably make some replacement stickers for them tbh. Even ‘super’ probably isn’t all that accurate for the UK back in the day. It’d be 2 star, or 4 star. 
The gas oil one, apparently ‘gas oil’ in the UK is more understood to be red diesel. According to google anyway. Can’t say I’ve ever heard red called gas oil before. Going back further red diesel (or green diesel in Ireland) used to be called ‘tractor fuel’ in the UK, as that was its primary use.

I actually read it as gas oil when I first saw those pumps and thought it was something like paraffin! I’m sure that used to be available at some filling stations at a pump similar to a petrol one?

Posted

Tried my local, and a bigger Asda further away, but no sign of Q case Hot Wheels. At least the diesel was 5o a litre less extortionate than near home

Posted
1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Tried my local, and a bigger Asda further away, but no sign of Q case Hot Wheels. At least the diesel was 5o a litre less extortionate than near home

Did you try looking by the till area? Ive been in a couple of Asda and thats where they've put the big dump bins.

Posted
4 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

I’ll probably make some replacement stickers for them tbh. Even ‘super’ probably isn’t all that accurate for the UK back in the day. It’d be 2 star, or 4 star. 
The gas oil one, apparently ‘gas oil’ in the UK is more understood to be red diesel. According to google anyway. Can’t say I’ve ever heard red called gas oil before. Going back further red diesel (or green diesel in Ireland) used to be called ‘tractor fuel’ in the UK, as that was its primary use.

I actually read it as gas oil when I first saw those pumps and thought it was something like paraffin! I’m sure that used to be available at some filling stations at a pump similar to a petrol one?

It looks great, I shouldn't have mentioned it sorry

Just tell everyone the Cortina has been fitted with an Indenor from a Sierra and Farmer Tom fills it up at the farm no questions asked 

Posted
3 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

I actually read it as gas oil when I first saw those pumps and thought it was something like paraffin! I’m sure that used to be available at some filling stations at a pump similar to a petrol one?

Yes, the garage at the end of my street used to have a pink paraffin dispenser outside the little shop/office - it had a label on it featuring the Pink Panther cartoon character, and said 'Think Pink' in a thought bubble.

I think there was a vertical glass cylinder involved too, but it looked a little bit like this:

Aladdin pink paraffin hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

I guess people still used paraffin for greenhouse heaters and whatnot, and could just buy it by the pint for domestic consumption.

Posted
4 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

apparently ‘gas oil’ in the UK is more understood to be red diesel

That is true from a UK taxation term point of view. But only ever written in a lower case description in two words, not one and not found outside rebated tax paperwork and legislation. Meaning, on a public accessible pump the fuel would be marked Diesel (or previously until mid-80s alternatively as DERV (all caps as an acronym))

Posted
19 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

I guess people still used paraffin for greenhouse heaters and whatnot, and could just buy it by the pint for domestic consumption.

Yes when I was small, my old Dad put it in the outhouse heater. It was stinky.

When I stayed a while in Japan a few years ago I was shocked by the use of Kerosene still. It would be similarly bought in small quantities (pump/dispenser would be marked 'Toyu'). It made the houses stinky. It was due to no gas pipelines to some areas due to earth movements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...