Jump to content

Lord help me, I'm getting on a bus!


Recommended Posts

Posted

The things I do to collect cars....I honestly can't remember the last time I was on an actual public bus rather than a pre-booked coach going to an airport. They give me the fear trying to figure out where to get off but thankfully this particular stop appears to be 2 after a decently sized Tesco so I can hopefully orient myself from that. 

I've been on a backshift and sharing the V70 coz nothing else on the fleet is currently both legal and roadworthy so am less prepared than I want to be.

Audi - appears to have a battery drain and dropped it's amps too far for the Noco. Currently without a battery til it charges. Will be for sale shortly!

Alfa - Similar story. Was off road due to a coolant hose leak, then a stuck calliper and it now has the scary Motor Control System Failure warning which can apparently happen when the battery loses too many amps. ECU has a fit so will recharge, reset and hope it starts behaving.

Paddy Corolla - waiting on new tame mechanic fabricating a middle section of exhaust, to get him through next MOT

Forester - Also waiting for time and money to re-MOT. Needs rear bushes which I am polybushing, potentially a new cat, a new 02 sensor and reprogramming of the key because it has forgotten it again 🙄

Everything else no where near being MOT ready so a spare car with a bit of MOT left is most welcome atm.

Thankfully this is a shorter collection than some I have done and I'm looking forward to the drive back 😁 Early start around 7am out of bed so I should probably attempt some sleep....

Happy Friday!

Posted

Into the SVM you go.

Whatever you do don’t type in bus wankers into an image search without inbetweeners in the search.

1f21a3dc93744d3dc5f4a04a8a9edf18.jpg

Posted

Safe travels. An unscheduled, on a collection bus was the last time I rode one. It was ok. Be brave and it will be fine. I try to avoid them generally though used google maps to get over the stop anxiety and quite enjoyed the experience.

Trying think how you are going top Auntie Mabel’s plane… Are you collecting battle cat and riding it home from Bristol zoo? 

Posted

chodspeed, we are already fully paid up members of the SVM

  • Like 1
Posted

Breakfast was a high protein strawberry yoghurt and a ridiculous amount of blackcurrant squash because it's so fucking hot already! Poo count 0 so far but I'm glad trains have toilets.

Hayfever tablets also taken and bag packed. Let's get this show on the road!

  • Like 2
Posted

If I'm in a bus in a strange place I've been known to track the journey on google. Have also done it in cabs to make sure am not getting ripped off. Chodspeed, anyway.

  • Like 1
Posted

First mode of transport for today - the ever-dependable V70, at the end of a semi-empty drive. 

20260814_075056.jpg.52bfc2e9c97b70a0916d07b4dd7f2618.jpg

First train of the day.

20260814_075957.jpg.1aee9a459866b60f144227b59efcc86e.jpg

Only 2 coaches and we're going South of the border, does not seem big enough. I have a table seat to myself for now and have plugged in my phone so will at least leave this train with a full charge.

20260814_080722.jpg

  • Like 10
Posted
7 hours ago, Flat4 said:

Audi - appears to have a battery drain and dropped it's amps too far for the Noco

Not much use to you now, but which Noco have you got? They mostly have an over-ride button to produce power even if it cant see enough voltage to work automatically.

Chodspeed with the collection

Posted

2 hour gap between trains? Thought the service round here was bad, but you must be well out in the sticks.

Posted
40 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

2 hour gap between trains? Thought the service round here was bad, but you must be well out in the sticks.

Yeah it's a pretty small town. You could go North to Glasgow for a wider selection of trains but this route made more sense today.

Only 2 more stops and I'm on to my next connection 😊

  • Like 2
Posted

Carlisle achieved. "City of the Lakes", whatever that means.

20260814_093746.jpg.4992d45f0f1534b91762c9fb76f79382.jpg

Feels like it's a bit early for a pie....

20260814_094116.jpg.eee607091f3af062c0c575bb5c39167d.jpg

Onwards to the next connection.

20260814_094549.jpg.0ed58b82ecf4b506c5036c9c0deeaef3.jpg

Bought a book from the charity stand 😆

20260814_094205.jpg.39eb48b5dffbe961aad9b97b31e55727.jpg

20260814_094408.jpg.483a22d39246cea44ed5f79629df40a6.jpg

This will hopefully save some phone battery from doom scrolling for at least the next hour as I don't have a socket to plug into on this train.

Posted

I went on a bus once.

That is all.

  • Like 3
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dan302 said:

It's never too early for a pie

Obligatory "my wife had one before she got out of bed this morning"

Posted

PC now 1. Had a little nap but gave myself a fright waking up as we pulled into Prudhoe and panicked I'd missed my stop. Would not be the first time that has happened on a collection caper!

Finding the bus stances once off this train and then the correct bus will be the next challenge.

  • Like 2
Posted
25 minutes ago, Flat4 said:

Finding the bus stances once off this train and then the correct bus will be the next challenge.

The bus operator's website may have a map showing the stands & which routes go from which one.

Posted
Just now, High Jetter said:

The bus operator's website may have a map showing the stands & which routes go from which one.

Have successfully located 😊 And in plenty of time. 

20260814_112524.jpg.e2f298ca9c632db1aca4458fdf72e407.jpg

Newcastle has some interesting buildings. It's a place I haven't really spent much time in but I probably should.

20260814_112549.jpg.9b7a24743c24740ea22cfb29c2c65665.jpg

Posted

Okay, so there were 3 of us waiting on this bus and it stopped further down the hill, not at a bus stop, and drove straight past us! Fucker! So it's now another hour wait for the next one 😡 Unless I can figure out an alternative route.

Posted

Okay I have figured out another route involving 2 buses now! But at least they will get me moving in the right direction and my change is at a bus station so they shouldn't drive past me this time!

Got to admit this is a good idea.

20260814_115946.jpg.0b31354d50266c3cd724c7c9ef6fb173.jpg

Posted

Now on my last bus of the day, all being well 😊 20 minutes and I will be in my own private bubble again, with lovely cool air con!

Altho buses have certainly modernised since I was last on them.

20260814_130144.jpg.06cb2b415c06a1686b0a9f75b0961c9c.jpg

Posted

I never want to get on a bus ever again! 30 degrees, according to the new chod 😉

20260814_142638.jpg.5b400ac894d94dfc32526257fa7b3ad3.jpg

Half a tank of fuel which may well get me home! Otherwise I have my 5% off at Tesco to use.

Rough as fuck but as long as it gets me to work and back without throwing a wobbler, it will do very nicely 😊

20260814_142718.jpg.fadec6c62d57d94c7cd35232c56bdcb3.jpg

20260814_142700.jpg.16896c075b4abc4982e58a95b4ed5f14.jpg

It even came with a free dinosaur! 😆

20260814_142802.jpg.e2c3586166a2849cd1270f90d64a0d4e.jpg

Homeward bound now via the Tesco up the road for munchies for the journey and a Starbucks if I see one 😊 Any recommendations for good ice cream down this neck of the woods?

Massive thank you to @scaryoldcortina for beating this into shape to get it up the road 😊

Posted

sheet of vinyl will sort the bonnet , aye is rougher than a badgers arse after said badger has had 5 pints of skullsplitter and a vindaloo but if it goes, turns and stops then cool

Posted

Unexpected pit stop on the A69 for a much-needed Starbucks. The human is flagging already! Baby Volvo doesn't like hills much but we're getting better as we get to know each other 😊 Bit of a difference going from a 2.4 D5 to a 1.6 😆

Posted
16 hours ago, Flat4 said:

Lord help me, I'm getting on a bus!

Not a lot I can do about that. Soz.

Posted
1 hour ago, Flat4 said:

Unexpected pit stop on the A69 for a much-needed Starbucks. The human is flagging already! Baby Volvo doesn't like hills much but we're getting better as we get to know each other 😊 Bit of a difference going from a 2.4 D5 to a 1.6 😆

I had the 1.6 in a C30 when I did care work - great wee engine but you definitely need to pedal it like a petrol rather than letting the torque pull you around like a big diesel.

Top purchase!

Posted

Now officially a 2 Volvo household 😊

20260814_191353.jpg.b28fcd81d33397965e35e0fbfc01d77a.jpg

Made it back on the fuel that was in it. The cruise stopped working on the M74 but the air con is now more effective as it's 15 degrees outside, not 30. 

I'm literally PMSL coz I've just found a roll of black bags in the passenger footwell 😅 Those will be needed!

Posted

Good to meet you, glad it got you home!

I think the funniest thing about this whole episode is the Aircon working!

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Posted
1 hour ago, yes oui si said:

I had the 1.6 in a C30 when I did care work - great wee engine but you definitely need to pedal it like a petrol rather than letting the torque pull you around like a big diesel.

Top purchase!

Funny I was thinking I was having to drive it a bit like Paddy Corolla which is a 1.3 petrol, ie drop a gear before the hill and take a runny at it 😆 Which won't be good for fuel economy....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...