Jump to content

Accidentally getting a 2CV


Recommended Posts

Posted

It's easy to dismantle the switch and clean/bend the contact for better results. As mentioned V switches between sidelights and dipped beam, R dipped and main. Away from you is dipped in two positions. UK 2CVs never had a main beam warming even though they should have.

Posted
19 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

UK 2CVs never had a main beam warming even though they should have.

Not for indicators either, although late cars have the wiring in place for both, just no bulb holder or bulb. Whether B reg counts as 'late', I don't know.

There's a simple mod to convert cars with 'dim-dip' wiring to relay powered headlights. The dim-dip wiring is useless anyway, the aluminium canister (resistor?) clipped to the chassis near the front bumper just dissolves.

  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Posted

I'm back.

The 2CV has been used, which is nice.

It's use has presented a few 'things' to me.

1) I ran it out of fuel as the level sender isn't working. Fixed by putting in spare can then going down the petrol station.

2) the idle has gone very low and it runs on only 1 cylinder when you start it. Fine warm.

3) the Speedo is very accurate to 40mph, thereafter it under reads. A hard fought 60mph on the dash was actually 79mph on a calibrated GPS Speedo on a private road.

4) the wiring on the car is probably best described as 'terrible'. It looks like a snake's wedding that that been struck by lightning and set alight in places. I am scared of it to the point I always disconnect the battery when I put it away. I hate electricity work on cars but think a new loom might be the thing...

Apart from those things, it is going well, rides superbly on the new Burton shock absorbers and is still quite a joyful thing to mess about in.

Posted
3 hours ago, Foeux said:

2) the idle has gone very low and it runs on only 1 cylinder when you start it. Fine warm

Did you say it had 123 ignition? When I had a 123 unit fail on me, this was one of the initial symptoms. 

  • Like 1
Posted
13 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

Did you say it had 123 ignition? When I had a 123 unit fail on me, this was one of the initial symptoms. 

Sadly can concur but I'd start by checking the plugs.

Fuel gauge? Probably a duff earth. I made a new one for mine but you do need to drop the tank to fit it. 200 miles to a tank is about what you can expect.

Loom on mine was so bad a friend rewired the front of it. Never caught fire though. Just check where the wiring harness is clipped near the air filter. Metal clip, chafes wiring and that definitely CAN cause a fire.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...