Autoshite's Bargain Buys. Shite For Under £1,000

SEATMad

£300

2001 Renault Scenic with 165,000 on the clock , it has M.O.T till 17.12.24.
This car is in good condition for the year with age related scratches and showing rust on back wheel arches but not corroded
Engine and gearbox are good and the car runs with no problems.
Leather seats and interior ok for the year.
E/sunroofs /E/W / E/wing mirrors /. A/C
Bad Points..
Front passenger side window not working.
Rear driver side window not working.
Boot catch missing but can still open the boot.
E/Wing mirrors not work , think it needs a new window switch.
Cracked Driver rear brake lens , taped and passes M.OT
£300

https://www.gumtree.com/p/renault/renault-megane-scenic-mpv-2001-manual-1870-cc-5-doors/1484677885

• Like 2

£490

2005 Nissan Almera
ULEZ COMPLIANT / FREE
1.8 petrol engine and manual gearbox
78k miles from new
1 previous owner, 2x keys
12 months MOT
Air conditioning, sun roof, reverse camera
Central locking
Good condition in and out and drives perfect
Still has half tank of fuel
£ 490

https://www.gumtree.com/p/nissan/nissan-almera-tino-ulez-compliant-free-/1484773882

• Like 1

£670
ALREADY CHEAPEST TERIOS
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196563189484?itmmeta=01J5EM6XE5MGBHA7BZQ4GTJZJQ&hash=item2dc4143eec:g:vfAAAOSwoTBmvojB&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4IGlUAWZBx1gbu%2FRwYCIK9wNmYJTwCHna1NooYTYKHryjWabejjDLmV6gG1NDc2vkynG2vfv9%2Fn3ujRvm6l9SvcXucujWWWjrr4h%2FUA60aPgTb6apCrVPcguP64amp5N24V32N7Tn8ouSermvg5JPWKE6xLTllHI%2BFxOlyZXuVBJfBVLGRdIl8xXm5TV38I9tVH1m8D5bZigiHhlx%2BZ4ihYKqU8UjeXKGgtfGSAIMHkgWCJQcy6a0nYYr8dRgt3WVT0diKlABalSRspqImuJafKcrfRFObLvf9oSbPoFvkKA|tkp%3ABk9SR5rXm9SrZA
s-l1600.webp
Yeah

No.

Sorry m9, I'd like a Terios, but you're not getting my money unless you drop the appalling sales chit chat and shouty caps in your description.

Also:
"Upgraded alloys, owner, 4X4 mode"

Owner? I don't think you can include a human being in the sale...

EditedToAdd: Thanks @SEATMad for a most enjoyable thread. Also, an encouraging one, as my daily delivery hack has decided to make a bid for the crusher with its faulty EGR nonsense, so any proof that cheap wheels are still out there is most welcome!

Just posted: 38k miles Astra, MOT till May, £350. But...

Note: The temperature of the engine is not stable reaches 100 degrees and back down to 90 degrees.

That's a bit vague, isn't it supposed to do that? So it doesn't actually overheat and presumably the fan works? 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/vauxhall-astra-hatchback-1999-other-1598-cc-5-doors/1484855691

13 hours ago, chodweaver said:

my daily delivery hack has decided to make a bid for the crusher with its faulty EGR nonsense, so any proof that cheap wheels are still out there is most welcome!

Blank and map out rather than scrap surely? Unless moral problems with removing anti-pollution equipment, but surely it’s still more eco friendly than scraping? 😅

59 minutes ago, SEATMad said:

How tasty, MOT until Oct, £700

448552486_481873121175766_5619077092069050181_n.jpg

448550938_481873064509105_3055120716950414776_n.jpg

448599095_481872971175781_501850160514068375_n.jpg

Linky?

8 hours ago, D.E said:

Just posted: 38k miles Astra, MOT till May, £350. But...

That's a bit vague, isn't it supposed to do that? So it doesn't actually overheat and presumably the fan works? 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/vauxhall-astra-hatchback-1999-other-1598-cc-5-doors/1484855691

Yeah that's normal behaviour for a Astra G. Just most coming from a modern that sits rock solid in the middle will have it feel disconcerting with it moving.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, SiC said:

Yeah that's normal behaviour for a Astra G. Just most coming from a modern that sits rock solid in the middle will have it feel disconcerting with it moving.

That's what I figured. It's normal for the temperature gauges of my Kadetts to do that, and iirc the Corsa of my cousin, which was of similar vintage to this Astra, behaved the same.

11 hours ago, SiC said:

Unlike older cars which show the actual temp, Modern cars don't so much as have temperature gauges as temperature indicators. My astra J seems to have 5 distinct positions, although I've never seen it so to two of them.  

At cold, it shows 50 C. Once it warms up it jumps to 70 C, and within a minute or so it sits at 90 C. It doesnt ever move from 90 once warmed up, whether the fan, has been activated or not. As it warms up, it flicks from 50 to 70 in an instant and then again from 70 to 90 in an instant. Like a switch was turned. (Although it will be a software switch) 

The red starts at 110 C and finishes at 130C my guess is that if it ever goes into the red, the engine is scrap. 

It's good in that it stops people panicking when the temp goes up to 105. Because its a hot day, they are sitting in a traffic jam, and the fan is only just able to cope. What they don't realise is that because it's a pressurised system, the coolant probably starts to boil at 115 C (I'm sure some one will correct that for me) 

On 02/08/2024 at 17:39, sierraman said:

The amount of cars I’ve seen over the years that ‘ran like a dream’ then when you got there… 

I suppose it’s alright to get you out of a bind but sometimes these £800 cars end up costing you more than just spending a couple of grand on something that has a bit of life left in it. 

A nightmare is also a dream.....

1 hour ago, New POD said:

Unlike older cars which show the actual temp, Modern cars don't so much as have temperature gauges as temperature indicators. My astra J seems to have 5 distinct positions, although I've never seen it so to two of them.  

At cold, it shows 50 C. Once it warms up it jumps to 70 C, and within a minute or so it sits at 90 C. It doesnt ever move from 90 once warmed up, whether the fan, has been activated or not. As it warms up, it flicks from 50 to 70 in an instant and then again from 70 to 90 in an instant. Like a switch was turned. (Although it will be a software switch) 

The red starts at 110 C and finishes at 130C my guess is that if it ever goes into the red, the engine is scrap. 

It's good in that it stops people panicking when the temp goes up to 105. Because its a hot day, they are sitting in a traffic jam, and the fan is only just able to cope. What they don't realise is that because it's a pressurised system, the coolant probably starts to boil at 115 C (I'm sure some one will correct that for me) 

The ‘engine fucked’ light.