Corsa B - little mint green dream machine

auntiemaryscanary

What a smashing wee car, I was tempted by this. Sold with a '1' missing from the front of the price but this is AS so we pay it forward here 😊

I've had 2 of these, a 5 door Vegas model which was my first car in 2001 and a 3 cylinder Envoy which I kept for 11 years and was like Triggers broom by the time I sold it!

Enjoy!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

How's the new white good getting home?

Doblo. New fridge ordered online at 7.30pm, plugged in and food swapped over from dead appliance by 8.30pm. Doblo taking the scrap one to the tip this evening. I've had the Doblo 13 years now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrGTI6 said:

Pleased to hear that the sunroof remains watertight! Nothing worse than jumping into your car first thing in the morning only to be greeted by a puddle in the foot-well. Sounds like your neighbour knew what he was doing!

Good thing you spotted the light on your USB charger. I was going to suggest perhaps the cigarette lighter was on a timer after you take out the key, then realised what a daft suggestion that would be on an R-reg Corsa! At least you know without finding out the hard way by running down the battery. Perhaps the radio staying on when you take out the key is related?

Nice to have all service items easily accessible. Not that it will need doing any time soon, but a timing belt change for example looks as though it would be an absolute doddle. Not like the wet belt change on my 308 which involved dropping the sump! I can't take credit for the fresh oil/filters. I did check them when I first got the car and realised they looked like they'd literally just been done, and that was only a few hundred miles ago. 

I get through a lot of cars and try not to get too attached, but I actually grew really fond of the Corsa. It may sound daft, but just jumping in it and driving to work felt like an event, and the novelty never wore off during my admittedly short ownership. 

I'm pretty certain the mighty* Grunding Car 200 is powered direct from the battery. I must admit I'm looking at an  alternative - think I've got a a supplementary system sussed that can be fitted without any damage to the dash plastics and leaves the period wireless in place.

I couldn't believe how clean the oil was. Thought it might have darkened off at least a bit after a nearly 4 hour motorway jaunt. Just got to check the cabin filter was changed as well :)

Do you know if there is a separate bottle for the rear screen washer? I tried it v briefly yesterday, made all the right noises but no water came. Looked in the boot but couldn't see a separate washer bottle. I should check the (immaculate) owners manual really. Whilst in the boot I put the carpet clips back on - it was right bugging me seeing the carpet loose!

Can understand you getting fond of it. I was by the time I got on the Tonbridge bypass.

1 hour ago, auntiemaryscanary said:

Do you know if there is a separate bottle for the rear screen washer? I tried it v briefly yesterday, made all the right noises but no water came. Looked in the boot but couldn't see a separate washer bottle. I should check the (immaculate) owners manual really. 

I'd assume it comes from the same bottle. A quick Google search doesn't yield any results about a separate bottle. 

In all honesty I don't think I ever tried using it on the rear, only on the front. 

• Like 1

It's the same bottle, but a twin outlet pump.

Maybe the pipe to the rear is split or it's that dry in the washer hose it's taking a wee while.

Anyway, that's a wee cracker of a car. They really do suit the funky colours. Simple little things to look after, not the best driving if that matters for a runabout.

Rust is a big thing with these. From my experience of welding up my Corsa they used no cavity wax at all and the rubber undercoat does a good job of hiding the damp in. So I'd highly recommend a good look over the underneath. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JMotor said:

It's the same bottle, but a twin outlet pump.

Maybe the pipe to the rear is split or it's that dry in the washer hose it's taking a wee while.

Anyway, that's a wee cracker of a car. They really do suit the funky colours. Simple little things to look after, not the best driving if that matters for a runabout.

Rust is a big thing with these. From my experience of welding up my Corsa they used no cavity wax at all and the rubber undercoat does a good job of hiding the damp in. So I'd highly recommend a good look over the underneath. 

Thanks much appreciated. I'll have a better look later and the give rear washer a good long try to see if any fluid pulls through. The pump is making all the right noises.

On 09/06/2024 at 14:57, auntiemaryscanary said:

So.... After getting home yesterday afternoon I couldn't get the sunroof closed. I was tired, didn't want to break it and after to speaking @MrGTI6 who confirmed he'd not had a problem with it I left it well alone and went to bed. I've not had any form of sunroof before which wasn't helping. In truth I felt a little deflated, hadn't spoilt my day by any means and certainly wasn't feeling let down by @MrGTI6

Fresh this morning I had another look.

IMG_20240609_101357713.jpg.960a3d1080003ffa4cc747ef97e77208.jpg

Hmmn that's not helping and neither had where I'd given the rusty bits a good poke yesterday. Vacced out the rusty bits but unsurprisingly wouldn't close properly. The sunroof cassette itself is in perfect condition and fully greased.

So I call the next door neighbour mechanic round

IMG-20240609-WA0004.jpeg.78cd1cc17f72123affe628ef589e6356.jpeg

Phew!! What a relief, rain forecast later etc. Neighbour diagnosed it instantly of course. He told me how far to wind the sunroof back then he held the metal strip down whilst I wound the sunroof closed. S

I was dreading telling @MrGTI6 what had gone wrong. He'd been so great yesterday. I didn't wanting him thinking I was an ungrateful little sh*t. I love the car.

Bless him, via IM, he offered to pay half to get the sunroof repaired!! What a gent. My reply was something like: Did I check the car over before buying it? No, not a single solitary thing. Would I have paid the same price with a non-working but closed sun roof. Abso-F-ing-lutely.

I will not be taking any money from this fine upstanding Kent based autoshiter, no siree. It's a 26 year old car!! Stuff happens. The neighbour mechanic couldn't believe the car's condition "look how clean those inner wings are!".

PS I then noticed it's proper glass headlights. Marvelous.

Sunroofs are wankers, get some tigerseal and close it forever 👌 Or make sure the drains are clear and not running into the ecu or somewhere as helpful

Looks a lovely car! That paint is crying out for a good polish and wax though 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Sunroofs are wankers, get some tigerseal and close it forever 👌 Or make sure the drains are clear and not running into the ecu or somewhere as helpful

Looks a lovely car! That paint is crying out for a good polish and wax though 😂

The sunroof is permanently closed! I was bricking it when I couldn't get it closed.

Yes cleaning as described is on the cards.

Non-destructive stereo upgrade approved in principle

IMG_20240611_200330453.jpg.95a11535d40d65dd6a5d8297c73f3bda.jpg

IMG_20240611_200419652.jpg.e9c55c383b37f59ea68f951385d2d208.jpg

IMG_20240611_200504144.jpg.b70fb747587d765c989d428d424fba66.jpg

The speaker in pic 1 will live in a void under the dash to the right of the steering wheel 

All the cables are fedd out the back of the amp through the centre console where Vauxhall conveniently left me blanking plate. The amp is running off 5v USB power bank and is connected to a USB booster which delivers just under 1a at 12vdc. I won't flatten the car battery now. 

The amp isn't keen on audio from a phone - the amp is set up to receive line level. The USB booster can't handle the power required to get the phone audio up to LOUD and cuts out. The amp handles the phone audio when connected to the cig lighter. I've a DAB adapter I'll try another day which is 5v USB.

The speaker under the glove box needs some butchery to the MDF to get it fit properly, likely the other one too.

Eldest dtr is going to deploy her hot glue gun to tidy up the cables and connectors onto whatever is left of the rear of MDF mounts.

IMG_20240611_204943408.jpg.572d7a42871af2240ea3475ce7343aae.jpg

Enjoy your retirement Grundig, you've worked hard but it's now time for a little rest...

PS No water coming through rear washer after much pump whirring. I'm enjoying listening to AC/DC in the car so the rear washer will wait.

• Like 3

Packing up the shit stereo so I can drive to work in the morning I noticed a small stream on the drive. Washer fluid is getting into the boot then out through the wheel well bungs.

Drying out the well I saw this

IMG_20240611_210845082.jpg.dbfb464eb082e534a708ae733a989f29.jpg

A completely unused 26 yr old jack.

Does it have an unused 26 year old spare under the car too? 

Mine had a 2002 genuine Michelin under it, was almost sad to see it be changed by no way would I trust it if far from home etc (never ever used it so far 😂🤞

• Like 1

I

2 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Does it have an unused 26 year old spare under the car too? 

Mine had a 2002 genuine Michelin under it, was almost sad to see it be changed by no way would I trust it if far from home etc (never ever used it so far 😂🤞

The spare looks a bit ropey to be honest, didn't check the date, I'll shop round for a ditchfinder for emergency use. The Nippa I got rid of in 2020 did had the original 1998 spare though. I did use that for 2 miles to get to a tyre place when I got an overnight flat.

• Like 3

Shopping with the big boys and girls...

IMG_20240615_135700116.jpg.1841ee74767fae889c4fa04b79db9243.jpg

A week into ownership and I still have a little smile when I get in.

Discovered a couple of v, v minor faults/oddments. The rear screen has heating elements but no switch to try it but has blanking plate where I think the switch should be. So I can only think of 2 things - the rear elements stopped working and the switch was removed or the Breeze trim level was never wired for this and the screen is a later replacement from a trim level that had a heated screen. Any thoughts?

The other thing I picked up, nothing more than a slight inconvenience, is when you push the wiper stalk forward and the stalk remains in that position the rear wiper comes on instantly for one swipe but then doesn't come on again unless you pull the stalk back, push it and then you get another single swipe.

What with the radio and cig lighter running directly off the battery and permanently live I suspect someone had issues with ignition switch at some point. I wonder if some butchery has gone affecting some of the electrics?

Also the only MOT fail for this car between 2007-23 was for a failed headlight switch in 2012. Possibly further disturbance to electrics occured.

All guesswork of course, I'll never know. Not sure if I want to tempt fate and start poking about with the wiring especially as none of this should lead to an MOT fail. I'll see.

Never actually had the need to use it myself, but out of curiosity thought I'd check through the interior photos. Could the yellow bit in the centre of the knob for the fan speed be a button for the heated rear window possibly?

IMG_20240518_094123.jpg.9727963c97b56490da0110b786a48751.jpg.8a4dfbdaf83c84f6a836d607632d9be1.jpg

EDIT: Corsa owners club forum posts from 2003 suggest that the yellow button is for the rear window demister! Whether or not it still works is another question altogether!

https://www.thevauxhallforums.com/threads/corsa-heated-rear-window-switch.454/

• Thanks 1

@MrGTI6 the man that keeps on giving!

Fan dial pushed in

IMG_20240615_171543122.jpg.62d04cb21075e311fa25a290be540773.jpg

Fan dial pulled out 

IMG_20240615_171552426.jpg.93bf5f27134812316f1e2dc89f530288.jpg

Not the clearest in daylight but it definitely illuminates. I only thought about it as all 4 of us got caught briefly in a thunderstorm and as soon as we got in the Corsa it steamed up.

"Right kids, in the next thunderstorm stand in the rain for 1 minute then get in the Corsa. Dad has something to test on his new car."

Want another treat.

The headlight rotary dial pulls out. That switches on the interior light. 

original.png.0a316112757a73dbba69abf41a9a4ab3.png

Glad you're bonding with the car. 

3 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Took me longer than I'd like to admit to actually find this one out.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, JMotor said:

31 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Took me longer than I'd like to admit to actually find this one out.

Having tried for too many minutes to figure it out for myself, I had to ask a friend how to extinguish the interior light on my Astra van after I inadvertently switched it on.

52 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Want another treat.

Well I never! Of course I had to go out and turn the interior light on and off half a dozen times.

1 hour ago, JMotor said:

Want another treat.

Could have done with knowing that when I decided to fit new sun visor clips one evening. Couldn't find the interior light switch anywhere, so had to keep opening and closing the driver's door so I could see what I was doing! 🤣

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, JMotor said:

Want another treat.

Have known about that since my Mk1 Cav in 86/7. 1.3, ideal* for cabbing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGTI6 said:

Could have done with knowing that when I decided to fit new sun visor clips one evening. Couldn't find the interior light switch anywhere, so had to keep opening and closing the driver's door so I could see what I was doing! 🤣

I did wonder what the 2 random bits of grey plastic fittings rattling about were from!

Father's Day present. I'm sure teenagers remember these first time around and there was no involvement from Mrs auntiemaryscanary...

IMG_20240616_104051790.jpg.16b4d27a53fc3a3f43f60673d3efb756.jpg

On 09/06/2024 at 15:16, auntiemaryscanary said:

Embarrassed kids and considerably less than lovely....

IMG_20240609_134645126.jpg.82d7b73c03c9df0e6b2adb7a976a320d.jpg

To ensure my kid's embarrassment lives forever in a dusty corner of the internet have the rest of last weeks photo shoot

IMG_20240609_134559717_HDR.jpg.b1886dbb22cb13e7c0a798ae86399bf4.jpg

©️ Davide Baillie 

IMG_20240609_134617929_HDR.jpg.c3dfb9e2ad8e6b0463c5a53b7b02193e.jpg

©️ Lynda McCarthy 

1 hour ago, MrGTI6 said:

Will the calendar be out in time for Christmas? Asking for a friend.

Well @MrGTI6 if your friend pre-orders now he/she/they will get a one-off two factor authentication code to very exclusive content on the "Mint Green Fat Man" onlyfans page in advance of the calendar being posted late November.

• 3 weeks later...

3.30pm (last cleaned by @MrGTI6 4ish weeks ago):

IMG_20240707_163734501_HDR.jpg.6a4c800fe66a15133bb284babae894a1.jpg

Then for the first time ever I've used a clay bar and machine polisher - there you go @Zelandeth (edit it was @beko1987 who mentioned machine polishing). Didn't finish til 8pm but cooked dinner whilst doing it all.

8.15pm (had to drive 2 miles over our big hill to get the last of the sunlight):

IMG_20240707_203505846_HDR.jpg.bddc9acd4e3fa3217c7dd27972d02b7a.jpg

You can see the wax I missed on this one but now removed:

IMG_20240707_204108047_HDR.jpg.b1c13b83068b23d0fc4646a8e4f48769.jpg

IMG_20240707_204142706_HDR.jpg.409e460b2f0ec8c479433681824526ba.jpg

IMG_20240707_204159717_HDR.jpg.45d88ca65ed17b87d063e9d9a8c5d4fd.jpg

I think it looks better but I spent that long looking at small parts of it covered in clay bar and wax it's hard for me to tell. 

Well I ain't setting up a car detailing business that's for sure. It's also not getting cleaned again before Shitefest

You've done a cracking job there. A noticeable difference and well worth the effort. 

Much more successful than my first attempt at using a machine polisher! 

Amazing how it looks a completely different colour in the sunlight. 

On 07/07/2024 at 21:32, auntiemaryscanary said:

IMG_20240707_204142706_HDR.jpg.409e460b2f0ec8c479433681824526ba.jpg

I like this photo in particular. Looks like it could have been taken 25 years ago. 

Honestly, it's so nice to see the old Corsa get the love and attention it deserves. 

I do have one question though: where are the furry dice? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MrGTI6 said:

I do have one question though: where are the furry dice? 

In the passenger foot well. Mrs auntiemaryscanary said they were distracting her whilst driving it the other day. Will be re-fitted for Shitefest.