1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - ICE ICE Baby - see page 36

Peter C

I can remember when £3600 was enough to bag you a 2WD Q plated Sapphire Cosworth but then again, I'm an old git.

Is the 1.8 lump in this an E Max unit or was that the later 1.8 CVH?

9 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Fit the engine and running gear from an MG6 and you'll have a winning combination.

That's above my paygrade.

9 hours ago, stuboy said:

yeah..

I am waiting to receive and review the service history documents before I contact Roger Smith. I want to get a better understanding of what I am dealing with before I start asking questions. 

17 hours ago, Peter C said:

I wonder whether it's worth keeping the old exhaust. Most of it is in great condition and with a couple of patches, it could last for another few years.

Keep it. I've got an exhaust for an Alfa Romeo 159 that we sold a year ago, it's propped up by the back door and has been untouched in the nine months we've lived here. 

I like to think of it as an art installation. 

I'm now determined to see how long it can stay there before Mrs Grogee puts her foot down and demands that it goes. 

15 hours ago, warren t claim said:

I can remember when £3600 was enough to bag you a 2WD Q plated Sapphire Cosworth but then again, I'm an old git.

Is the 1.8 lump in this an E Max unit or was that the later 1.8 CVH?

EMAX was the 1.6 pinto

6 hours ago, grogee said:

Keep it. I've got an exhaust for an Alfa Romeo 159 that we sold a year ago, it's propped up by the back door and has been untouched in the nine months we've lived here. 

I like to think of it as an art installation. 

I'm now determined to see how long it can stay there before Mrs Grogee puts her foot down and demands that it goes. 

When her patience is exhausted perhaps!

More good news.

My son has messaged me that the service history has just been delivered.

I’m currently 50 miles away from home with my wife enjoying a spa, massage, dinner and nookie weekend in a fancy country house hotel. I’m in two minds whether to stay or jump in the E46, drive home and check out the contents of the history file.

🤔 

11 minutes ago, Peter C said:

More good news.

I’m currently 50 miles away from home with my wife enjoying a spa, massage, dinner and nookie weekend in a fancy country house hotel. I’m in two minds whether to stay or jump in the E46, drive home and check out the contents of the history file.

🤔

What's tonight's menu?

22 minutes ago, Peter C said:

More good news.

🤔

I wonder which option your Mrs would recommend if you suggested it 🤣

21 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Of course, you’re right. The 1.8 was the “lean burn” wasn’t it?

That’s right. For ultra rare you’d have had to have a 1.6 EMAX Ghia. 

• Like 2

I had a poster of the 1.8 lean-burn on my bedroom wall. 

From memory that engine was the smokiest of the lot (after a few miles) wasn't it? Valve guide seals? 

Mind you I expect the Indenor could put out some coal if required. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter C said:

More good news.

🤔

2 hours ago, jim89 said:

What's tonight's menu?

Meat and two veg.

3 hours ago, Peter C said:

More good news.

🤔

Post photos of wife and service history.We'll tell you if you made the right call!

• Peter C changed the title to 1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - Service History receiving and reviewed

So, this was my choice:

92.thumb.jpg.49e734cb37d1bfe2af06a1b15fd66934.jpg

I had a wonderful time with my wife.

Got home an hour ago, unpacked and opened up the mystery package.

This is what I got:

• Owner's handbook
  • ICE handbook
  • 2 receipts from Kwik Fit
  • One previous V5
  • One MoT certificate dating back to 2021
  • Small assortment of tax discs
  • Small assortment of pay and display car park tickets
  • Previous owner's AA documentation
  • Letter sent to previous owner regarding application for a V5

93.thumb.jpg.93012df94522128738d5cdf3a1929e0f.jpg

Absolutely nothing to confirm the mileage.

@Dobloseven - You were bang on the money.

Not to worry. I think that the condition of the car speaks for itself. A Ford Sierra would not be here today in useable condition if it had not been looked after over the past 37 years. 

I'm off to my workshop to continue the dirty weekend theme.

That’s a bit shite. How long did the owner on the v5 you have own it? I wonder if it’s worth writing them a letter asking if the have any additional info on it ? 

11 minutes ago, cort16 said:

That’s a bit shite. How long did the owner on the v5 you have own it? I wonder if it’s worth writing them a letter asking if the have any additional info on it ? 

The guy I bought the Sierra from didn’t register the car and I don’t have his address. 

I have the details of the last registered owner, the chap that has already been identified in this thread, his details are on the previous V5.

The Kwik Fit receipts contain an address for another previous owner. I can check Land Registry records whether he still lives there and write to him but I doubt he would remember the car let alone have any paperwork for it.

13 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

You've got the MOT history to help with at least some of the milage history.  Personally I believe it. 

Agreed. 

If I do more research I mind find out that the car was stolen and shipped over to Northern Ireland, or something like that and find out that I’m not the rightful owner.

I’m off to check whether the VIN on the V5 is the same as on the chassis plate.

23 minutes ago, Peter C said:

The guy I bought the Sierra from didn’t register the car and I don’t have his address. 

I have the details of the last registered owner, the chap that has already been identified in this thread, his details are on the previous V5.

The Kwik Fit receipts contain an address for another previous owner. I can check Land Registry records whether he still lives there and write to him but I doubt he would remember the car let alone have any paperwork for it.

He might be able to confirm the low mileage though . 

19 hours ago, grogee said:

Mind you I expect the Indenor could put out some coal if required. 

Sierra DieseL

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, rob88h said:

Sierra DieseL

Impressive pollution. What's the trick to get them to 'blossom' like this - high gear + full shoe? 

Do they have a choke?