Collection thread - now the "quite cheap but already quite broken" C6 thread

GeordieInExile

1 hour ago, GeordieInExile said:

Current state of play:-

- The front parking sensors are constant at low/no speed - water ingress suspected, WD40 will be applied

- The suspension isn't floaty enough - suspected bushes as the spheres are all fine and not leaking fluid, garage can investigate when it goes in on Friday

- The ABS/TC/handbrake lights are off for now and the handbrake, after a short spell refusing to work, is working again

- The driver's side rear brake disc was glowing red and radiating extreme heat after a 15 minute drive home the other night - maybe something is stuck or dragging? Garage can investigate

- EML on again - fuel filter to be changed

In spite of all of this, I still love it. It was a truly lovely way to drive to Leeds and back the other day. My employer's deputy CEO was suitably impressed when I gave him a lift to a site visit the other day, as well. 

I'm doing the fuel filter on mine too. I think it's one of the few things that easy to do on them as it's right on top of the engine.

I think they're heavy on the brakes as I'm pretty sure they're the same discs as the C5 that probably weighs 1/2 a ton less. Mine needs new front discs and pads very soon but they're not expensive. 

Mine sometimes won't start immediately then runs rough and clears up. Prime suspect is the EGRs, which don't look fun to change. 

I still love mine, it's so different from everything else on the road although you need to learn to live with the quirks. 

1 hour ago, Schaefft said:

Great to hear multiple status reports on these, gives everyone a glimpse into C6 ownership while experiencing a constant feeling of relief that none of the issues are yours.

Hang on, don't you have an XM...?

8 minutes ago, GeordieInExile said:

That's not usually an impediment to a big old Citroen being a jerk, though. 

To be fair, aside from parts availability and a million additional hydraulic lines it cannot be that much worse than a lot of the stuff I already own. And the former can be resolved by sourcing the parts in Germany if I have the patience.

So, it's at the garage and they've given me a ring. It's got a binding rear caliper, needing a new one plus a pad and a disc, and the fuel filter needs to be changed. The other faults are intermittent and can be cleared. Including a glow plug issue - apparently they're an absolute pain to change, but they're okay for now and can be left in situ.

£526 all in, presumably because the fuel filter is a prick to change (it's not the one on top of the engine but the one buried somewhere nearer the tank).

Ah well. Eet ees what eet ees.

I've been reading up on changing the EGR's and one of the comments was "The front one is easy in comparison you just need to remove the bumper and radiator".  The rear one however seems virtually impossible unless you're Mr Tickle from the mister men. 

On 9/8/2023 at 5:25 PM, Jazoli said:

Just buy a 3.5mm Bluetooth adapter

Aux Bluetooth V5.1 Receiver Car - SOOMFON Wireless Car Bluetooth Aux Adapter Support Handsfree Call, Music Streaming Bluetooth Aux Adapter for Car, Home Stereo (Silver) https://amzn.eu/d/c31oIiT

I have them in a couple of cars and they just work.

+1 for one of these. I have one in my Saab,  powered constantly via the 12v socket  & all hidden away in the arm rest. Cracking wee invention 

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

I've been reading up on changing the EGR's and one of the comments was "The front one is easy in comparison you just need to remove the bumper and radiator".  The rear one however seems virtually impossible unless you're Mr Tickle from the mister men. 

Anyone who has owned big French cars has already evolved four elbows  and a wrist that rotates like an owl's head but with fingers that can apply 300Nm of torque.

All we need now is bioluminescent eyes in our fingertips.

2 hours ago, GeordieInExile said:

So, it's at the garage and they've given me a ring. It's got a binding rear caliper, needing a new one plus a pad and a disc, and the fuel filter needs to be changed. The other faults are intermittent and can be cleared. Including a glow plug issue - apparently they're an absolute pain to change, but they're okay for now and can be left in situ.

£526 all in, presumably because the fuel filter is a prick to change (it's not the one on top of the engine but the one buried somewhere nearer the tank).

Sounds reasonable for all that work and parts. Might be the start of a Monkey car. My mate called his Range Rover Sport the Monkey car due to the fact everytime it went to the garage it cost him a Monkey (£500) at least.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hertz said:

Sounds reasonable for all that work and parts. Might be the start of a Monkey car. My mate called his Range Rover Sport the Monkey car due to the fact everytime it went to the garage it cost him a Monkey (£500) at least.

I consider renaming "a Monkey" an "SLK". No-one simply buys monkeys these days, just vote for them as MPs /then/ buy them.

It's back. It's had a four wheel alignment as well. Result - no warning lights and a far nicer drive. £560 all in. The mechanic thinks a full suspension fluid change should help the ride along but the garage won't touch the job, which is fair enough tbf.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:34 AM, GeordieInExile said:

I've had to do the rear calipers on mine, actually thinking about I've done the front ones now as well. The rears were ridiculously cheap, something like £40 a side.

Last MoT £150 all in, including the test fee and a rear ABS sensor. Just passed 290,000 miles.

Oh, and used to have an XM V6 24v at work. Felt much more fragile, and way more expensive to run than the C6, even at 70k miles.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 6:59 PM, GeordieInExile said:

It's back. It's had a four wheel alignment as well. Result - no warning lights and a far nicer drive. £560 all in. The mechanic thinks a full suspension fluid change should help the ride along but the garage won't touch the job, which is fair enough tbf.

How difficult can it be? Undo the octopus and put it in a bucket, run the thing and top the tank up as it goes while a glamorous assistant does some citroen aerobics?

• Like 1

Had a drive of it yesterday and fuck me, since they did the filter and cleared the code it's a totally different beast. SO much grunt from that engine. For a diesel it doesn't make the worst noise, either. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

How difficult can it be? Undo the octopus and put it in a bucket, run the thing and top the tank up as it goes while a glamorous assistant does some citroen aerobics?

C6 is LDS/Hydractive 3+ setup - does it even have an octopus?

• 3 months later...

excellent thread! i love the look of the c6 but after my nightmare c5 that was actually a very nice looking and great driving car,  (tried to kill me twice by loosing all electrics when driving at night, then after that was fixed tried to burn me alive!) i quit citroens. well for now anyway, pockets arent deep enough to fix electrical gremlins. maybe a 2cv or a bx next.... oooh or a visa....