Wibble’s Wittering - Cortina, Senator & occasional Skoda & family ramblings, soz!

Wibble

14 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Today has been a very hard day. I’ve had my sisters crying on the phone but all of us remembering the wonderful Christmases we had as children. No matter how skint they were, Christmas was always the most special time. We went to Mass last night to avoid having to go out today and have enjoyed a nice Christmas dinner, but the pain is immense. My dear parents about 1989:

IMG_4702.thumb.jpeg.676a03c8ad796659bad7c74952ac4d79.jpeg

God bless you Mum & Dad

I reckon the biggest compliment you can pay to those you care about is the hole they leave when they're gone. I miss all of mine all the time pal.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Matty said:

I reckon the biggest compliment you can pay to those you care about is the hole they leave when they're gone. I miss all of mine all the time pal.

Thank you and sorry for your losses too mate, it’s the hardest time, with difficult times ahead, house and contents to deal with. Just wish I could shut my head up for a while.

@Wibble just read through the last couple of pages of your thread and it's gut wrenching. You've had a truly awful time lately and I can't imagine how you all must be feeling right now.

The next few weeks will be difficult, as they always are when you lose someone. Make sure you look after yourself, go out, see friends and do things you haven't done for a while when you get a chance. It will make a world of difference to how you feel, even if just for a few hours here there. 

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, Crackers said:

@Wibble just read through the last couple of pages of your thread and it's gut wrenching. You've had a truly awful time lately and I can't imagine how you all must be feeling right now.

The next few weeks will be difficult, as they always are when you lose someone. Make sure you look after yourself, go out, see friends and do things you haven't done for a while when you get a chance. It will make a world of difference to how you feel, even if just for a few hours here there. 

Thanks so much for your kind words @Crackers. To be honest, I’m not sure how much longer I can continue to be strong. My siblings come to me and my family too, of course, feel like I’m going to burst but trying to hold it together for everyone.

It looks likely that the funeral will be Friday 12th. Subject to Priest’s agreement. Our eldest son has volunteered to be a pall bearer again and cord bearer and both boys have offered to bring the offerings up during the mass. I have bowed out of these tasks because my tennis elbow is so bad at the moment, I’d be worried if causing a mishap. I have offered to do a reading though, as I did for Dad.

So, looks like we’ll be heading back up Wednesday 10th.

Just caught up on the sad developments on this thread. My condolences, fella. Loss of loved ones is tough, no matter how anyone dresses it up. Don't be a stranger with your wife and kids - they're hurting too, I'm sure. All the best with things. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Just caught up on the sad developments on this thread. My condolences, fella. Loss of loved ones is tough, no matter how anyone dresses it up. Don't be a stranger with your wife and kids - they're hurting too, I'm sure. All the best with things. 

Thanks man. I haven’t, the four of us have been together all day, every day since it happened. Eldest won’t even go on line to play with his mates. Mrs W’s condition has deteriorated again unfortunately. Bruises appearing everywhere and she’s been signed off for another month. She’s very upset about Mum too. Thanks again.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Wibble said:

You have to lift it onto your shoulder and then lower by cords into the grave. Did it last year for Dad, so I know it would be risky now unfortunately.

ah ok. I only had it slid on my shoulder but I guess each one must be different

6 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

ah ok. I only had it slid on my shoulder but I guess each one must be different

Yes, once you’ve carried them into the church, you have to lift them down on to the stands too. Then pick them up afterwards to carry back to the hearse. Then out of hearse, carry to grave and lower down.

Sorry, it’s all still very fresh from Dad’s funeral.

Arrangements have been made and we head back up next Wednesday 10th. Removal to church is Thursday afternoon and funeral mass Friday 12th at 9.30am. We hoped for later time but priest has another mass for a local school that morning.

We have booked a restaurant for a family meal Thursday evening, after the removal, for 16 of us at a local restaurant in Bridge of Weir and a wake after the funeral at the fox & hounds, Houston.  I’ve booked us all into the Premier Inn at Linwood again for the duration.

Here we go again.

I last read this thread years ago when you were considering putting electronic ignition on your Cortina and have settled down for an evening’s read to catch up.

So sorry for the shitty luck, I shall be thinking of you next time I go by Basingstoke on my regular Devon / Maidenhead trips.

I hope 2024 is the year that things turn brighter for you.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Sounds organized, guess it wasn't easy though. Am sorry for that school too.

Cheers mate, yes, school mass annoying as 11am would be much more convenient for all, especially those coming from Ayr but we have no choice. If any shiters are in the area, feel free to drop by. You’ve all been a brilliant support and I am very grateful.

6 minutes ago, Dj_efk said:

I last read this thread years ago when you were considering putting electronic ignition on your Cortina and have settled down for an evening’s read to catch up.

So sorry for the shitty luck, I shall be thinking of you next time I go by Basingstoke on my regular Devon / Maidenhead trips.

I hope 2024 is the year that things turn brighter for you.

You are so kind, thank you for taking the time to post this.

I am constantly aware of how bleak my thread is of late. Please bear with me. On a lighter note, Wiblet senior has signed a contract with us today, and is now a full time employee.

I had hoped he’d do something better paid but he too loves what we do. Made me smile tonight when neither of us could be arsed to change out of uniform. I have told him that I am chuffed he works with me now.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

How old? Good to be doing something he enjoys. Will he sign up here?

19. I doubt it, I bought him a Bini 2 years ago that hasn’t moved in over 12 months, so made it a condition of his employment that he learns to drive🙂

The Fox and Hounds is excellent Wibble , hope all goes well on the day , your Dad reminded me a bit of Bob Monkhouse in that photo , maybe the smile 

16 hours ago, Wibble said:

I am constantly aware of how bleak my thread is of late. Please bear with me. 

It is only a slight reflection of the stuff you have been battling with. Don't forget to make time for yourself otherwise you will have nothing left to give.

16 hours ago, Wibble said:

I had hoped he’d do something better paid but he too loves what we do.

From my own experience I reckon the most important thing is finding something you love and then build your life around that.

I chased after what I perceived as better wages and built my house of cards around that instead, at the cost of having a job I don't enjoy. It's now very hard to walk things back after that, and my advice to my children will to be find work they enjoy rather than getting stuck in a job which they hate to pay the bills (which they will probably then ignore!).

It's fantastic that you have job in which you're able to take your son onboard and enjoy your work together, I'm sure he will do well under your guidance.

I've been avoiding reading this for a while.

I've had four similar events, nursed 3 at home for long periods.

The last was my wife, 5 years ago.

Just keep on keeping on.  It fades, but never leaves you.

Xmas is the worst time.

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

The Fox and Hounds is excellent Wibble , hope all goes well on the day , your Dad reminded me a bit of Bob Monkhouse in that photo , maybe the smile 

Thanks. I see where you’re coming from re the photo. My Dad was from Dublin and a renowned story teller. He loved Bob!