Jump to content

Cars of Crackers


Recommended Posts

  • Crackers changed the title to Cars of Crackers
Posted

Great car this, looks lovely with a proper wash, but... 

20260702_213117.jpg.7ed0fb91b5032f0056ec526acf303774.jpg

20260702_213208.jpg.de789cdde855f395f10ab5ed57fb27d5.jpg

...the timing chain started rattling this morning. 

image.jpeg.418e9e1f29e07da05750099140c0d2f3.jpeg

I'll get it done, but not looking forward to the bill (as I'll have the oil pump and maybe bearing shells replaced while they're in there).

Posted

With your luck with cars have you thought about a bus pass?

Seriously though, it seems stuff like this is a service item on BMW's.

Posted

I've seen M539 restorations on YouTube do the entire job inc stripdown and reasembly in 7 edited minutes, doesn't look too hard and seems to be a job that they all need at some point. 

If the rest of the car is decent it probably is worth* doing 

Posted

I think it was the place @JJ0063 used that seemed to be pretty much a drive in drive out a few hours later for the chain 

Posted

Where's the chain? Back of the engine. 

What's also at the back of the engine? 

20260717_132449.jpg.f2e3116f9b4970cf866ba2e243aed041.jpg

Well, apparently half the scuttle panel, which had been previously bodged and must have fallen apart this morning. 

Tomorrow's cold start will decide if this has saved me £2000.

Posted
3 hours ago, straightSix said:

I think it was the place @JJ0063 used that seemed to be pretty much a drive in drive out a few hours later for the chain 

Fingers crossed the OP’s day has been saved by the scuttle but yeah, BM Mini Tech in Colchester are fantastic. Used them a couple of times for chains.

Posted
2 hours ago, Crackers said:

Where's the chain? Back of the engine. 

What's also at the back of the engine? 

20260717_132449.jpg.f2e3116f9b4970cf866ba2e243aed041.jpg

Well, apparently half the scuttle panel, which had been previously bodged and must have fallen apart this morning. 

Tomorrow's cold start will decide if this has saved me £2000.

That might cause a rattle 😂 

Posted

A happy update - yes, it was that scuttle panel finisher falling off that caused the noise. I've no idea what it was hitting, but it made exactly the same "running" noise as a stretched chain slapping on worn out chain guides.

I can get a new one through work pretty cheaply so that's a bonus. 

I had it absolutely full to the brim with a load of kit from work the other day and it didn't even notice. 

I really do like it. 

image.jpeg.4cb6077a6b4e28b2a4d88837e6be71e3.jpegimage.jpeg.345fd1959d544364e75bb474b6e1d73c.jpeg

Posted

Thank Fuck….. I do miss it, such an opulent place to be!

Posted
47 minutes ago, S2000 said:

Thank Fuck….. I do miss it, such an opulent place to be!

Looks like Dover customs! 😀

  • 1 month later...
Posted

2 years ago today I made one of my most regretted decisions ever. 

I sold the Saab. 

I shouldn't have done that. 

20240916_171024.jpg.282fe45f82ffd0d4c9bee7649463ac1b.jpg

It went on for a few thousand more miles before expiring badly in France with its 3rd (I think) owner after me. 

If I'd kept it and it'd blown up, I'd have happily shoved another engine in and kept it going. I utterly adored that car and despite its various flaws, nothing will ever come close to replacing it. Utterly, utterly fantastic machine.

  • Like 2
Posted

Some car that was, fastest thing I've ever owned. A real executive express.

I only sold it to liberate funds after some house renovations.

Posted
On 17/09/2026 at 00:36, hairnet said:

is this a pretense to another buyage?

Sadly not. Good Saabs are really getting thin on the ground now.

If another one came up in the same spec, I would have a very hard time not buying it. 

  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...