Sign in to follow this  
Dick Van Diesel

Always check your fuel lines... SLE71R content

It says in the video but it was the alternator over charging which caused the new battery to explode, the guys restoring it are well known to the owner, they are currently restoring his Marina van for one, one of many they have done I believe and the car isn't going though the insurance, Tony's paying for all the work out of his own pocket. 

On 8/2/2020 at 4:14 PM, danthecapriman said:

I wonder what the previous owner paid for it!?

I seem to remember one of The Professionals Capri’s was basically a rotten scrap yard car someone just happened to have lying around in a yard somewhere, before it was found and repaired. They were basically just like any other old nail at one bit with virtually no value. It’s just in more recent years the ‘value’ has crept in for a rare TV car.

I wish I had one of them sat in my garden!

I read that one of those VHK Professionals Capris was practically a new car it had that many new panels. 

59 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I read that one of those VHK Professionals Capris was practically a new car it had that many new panels. 

Mines a bit like that too! 
Both wings, both rear quarters, front valance, rear valance, both door skins, one door frame, both headlight bowls, both A posts, both sills inner & outer, both front floor pans (not whole pan but most of the outer edges), both windscreen corners inner & outer, centre section of tailgate/roof closing panel...

The basic shell is largely still untouched in the main areas and the chassis is untouched original, but it’s certainly not the car it was when it left the factory. It’s almost a new car now, as the panels used were all either new old stock ford panels or new reproduction items.

It’s the lengths you have to go to if you want a proper job done on a car that’s basically fucked! Mine was scrap or a parts car really before I started but the reason I carried on was I have a sentimental attachment to that particular car, plus it’s an early car so a bit more unusual. Sound financial sense it was not! Probably!

There’s a very early production mk3, VHK494S which was supposedly actually a mk2 shell that was pulled for modification into a Mk3 for the first run of the new models, but that had quite an extensive restoration a while ago. I think I saw it in a magazine. It’s the peppermint ex press car.