The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Polishing a turd
24 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

Got a present from Claire...

IMG20210531103610.thumb.jpg.530bfcfe390e693231103ef061a5c224.jpg

Had to try it out. Lesson 1, if you're an amateur, don't start with a huge panel like a bonnet..

IMG20210531103601.thumb.jpg.4cd676512b7b174597a442b1efb61436.jpg

IMG20210531111730.thumb.jpg.5a36bf9bc57f9410746598699d5fab8b.jpg

Needs a lot more work. 

Anyone fancy helping? 

What products are you using, also I think black is the sortest pad, I think orange is the most cutting*

*disclaimer - I don't know what I'm doing.. 

23 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

What products are you using, also I think black is the sortest pad, I think orange is the most cutting*

*disclaimer - I don't know what I'm doing.. 

3 minutes ago, 3VOM said:

What he said ^ Black is usually the softest pad for fine finishing or possibly polishing.

Cool, thanks. I didn't know what the colours meant.

I'm using some sort of G3 stuff, but it's level 1, for cutting.

There's a bit to learn!

25 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'm not generally a fan of Poundland satin black, but a quick squirt of it on those wiper arms would be quite acceptable.

On the to do list. Mind you, I've not seen spray paint in any of my local pound shops recently. Might have to splash out on some Halfords stuff! 😳

I'm looking to improve this car as much as possible, with a view to eventually being able to move it on, so any 'adjustments' will be in keeping with the originality of the rest of the car.

Still in two minds about the wheels, it really needs tyres anyway, so whether to put the alloys on or look for something else. I'm not keen on the 80 profile balloons on 13" steels on there currently. And 4 different makes of tyres isn't a great idea....

For machine polishing, I would recommend recommend orange foam pads.

They are the medium one and would work well on a faded red with a medium cutting compound like g3 or I use a cartec one. Green and black bottle, can't remember the grade off hand.

A tip when using the foam pads. Before first use, wash the pad thoroughly with hand hot water. This softens the pad and prevents scorching the paint which is a common pain with a new pad.

Keep the pad clear throughout cleaning regularly (an air blower blowing on the pad whilst it's spinning is a good method if you have access to one)

I avoid using the pads with water. I get a better cut using them dry and you don't get anywhere as much white splatter over everything.

Last tip, don't use too much compound at a time and keep going until its throughly worked in and then hand buff any residue off.

Oh, and save the black pad, it cam be used with a fine finishing compound or polish as a final step.

Just my 2p worth, hope it's some use to you

Cheers

Ben

34 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

I think I'd rather just pay someone to do it and know it's done right...

Just watch a few videos on youtube of others doing it, like forensic detailing, autoshine Blackpool, obviously don't get drawn into all the 2 bucket wrongun cobblers but a clay mitt or bar and some lube (I use a mix of washing up liquid and water to get the contamination off the surface. As others have said don't do it when panels are hot.

18 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I'm not generally a fan of Poundland satin black, but a quick squirt of it on those wiper arms would be quite acceptable.

Ha! ..... The very thing used on ToMM©

Good enough 4me >> good enough 4all ;)

*ToMM© is off SORN.... Eyes Peeled, lads!

On 5/31/2021 at 5:20 PM, wuvvum said:

Wipers suitably blacked.

IMG20210602193333.thumb.jpg.b6b9967d75690be84e5f2fcfb9fd3b84.jpg

Also had to make a bodge to sort the snapped sun visor. It's amazing how much you miss them when they aren't there!

IMG20210602193320.thumb.jpg.261d32163a8cc0f360111622f66f9e3b.jpg

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Polo MOT time
  • DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - MOT double trouble.
On 5/31/2021 at 5:44 PM, DoctorRetro said:

Still in two minds about the wheels, it really needs tyres anyway, so whether to put the alloys on or look for something else. I'm not keen on the 80 profile balloons on 13" steels on there currently. And 4 different makes of tyres isn't a great idea....

image.png.1000bb2855304af0dddff4b80e1ba4dd.png

5 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Yeah I did have a search for some that might fit but couldn't see much. 

Need to check the PCD, centre bore and offset really. Fiesta RS Turbo might work but rare/£££.

Might be worth trying the 2nd hand tyre emporiums though

4 X 100, 54.1 centre bore.