Dicky’s Disastrous Debris - a WEDGE joins the fleet 4/8/24

Angrydicky

9 hours ago, High Jetter said:

AR were really branching out, almost pitting Lockheed against Girling, I guess for cost. Repair seal kits used to be abundant

This was a real nuisance, with their incompatible fluids.

This Riley 1.5 for example: Girling master cylinder for brakes (red fluid), Lockheed clutch cylinder (yellow fluid). Expensive failure resulted if the wrong fluid was used - all of the seals would swell up and leak.

IMG_3095.jpeg.52b590f7a4b0002b5a1bc3e63c2360da.jpeg

2 hours ago, Asimo said:

This was a real nuisance, with their incompatible fluids.

This Riley 1.5 for example: Girling master cylinder for brakes (red fluid), Lockheed clutch cylinder (yellow fluid). Expensive failure resulted if the wrong fluid was used - all of the seals would swell up and leak.

IMG_3095.jpeg.52b590f7a4b0002b5a1bc3e63c2360da.jpeg

And we wonder why it all went wrong....

On 19/11/2022 at 12:43, Joey spud said:

Yes I can mostly relate to that view too. 

There's a lot of weak (I'm being polite) content washing around the place nowadays.Having a 20,000+ post count doesn't necessarily mean your content or viewpoint is thererfore better than that from a new guy who posts infrequently (quality not quantity anyone?).

The front page used to be rammed with projects and progress reports.

The effort you put into chasing down long obsolete parts for this old Austin is impressive.So too are all the images you take time to post up not forgetting your knowledgeable write ups too.

I feel there is just a tiny dark corner of Autoshite left now for the lovers of genuine old tat.

Then again I may be totally wrong and i haven't been hanging around wearing my rose tinted specs in vain hoping the place would return to better times after all.

I still like the forum, but do we need page after page of nonce modifications? Especially if you get jumped on when you mention stuff that a lot of nonces have actually used. 

20 minutes ago, artdjones said:

I still like the forum

That's a nearly 2yr old post now. Times change.

Right now I personally think the forum has plenty of interesting content - albeit intertwined with some that I find less so but that's easy enough to skip past. Plenty of new members coming in too and things are fresh.

I find it quite interesting yay this princess was 27yrs old when this forum was created in its current incarnation in 2005. In 2024, a 27yr old car is something like the original Laguna. They're still around and available to buy cheaply (like this princess would have been) but getting very rare. The Laguna still feels modern but that's more that I'm just getting older and remember them vividly when growing up (my parents & grandparents had one from new too), while the Princess wasn't really on my radar until I was a lot older and I don't remember them when I was younger.

2 hours ago, SiC said:

I find it quite interesting yay this princess was 27yrs old when this forum was created in its current incarnation in 2005. In 2024, a 27yr old car is something like the original Laguna. They're still around and available to buy cheaply (like this princess would have been) but getting very rare. The Laguna still feels modern but that's more that I'm just getting older and remember them vividly when growing up (my parents & grandparents had one from new too), while the Princess wasn't really on my radar until I was a lot older and I don't remember them when I was younger.

The kind of driver who likes a wedge would probably also like a Mk1 Laguna. I know I do.

7 minutes ago, artdjones said:

The kind of driver who likes a wedge would probably also like a Mk1 Laguna. I know I do.

Funny you say that!

IMG_4407.jpeg.6034729cc857529715b419cf2de6f654.jpeg

Had this lovely example in the stable recently. Admittedly it’s a facelift so not the original Laguna, but still a Mk1. Really nice cars!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angrydicky said:

Funny you say that!

IMG_4407.jpeg.6034729cc857529715b419cf2de6f654.jpeg

Had this lovely example in the stable recently. Admittedly it’s a facelift so not the original Laguna, but still a Mk1. Really nice cars!

They are both very restful to drive.

I just wanted to say well done on the Hampshire. I love the fact it is now back on the road. Have you done any more to it? Love the Princess. I remember these when they were new. Such a smooth ride and so much room. And yes, they should have had a hatch from new. 

The wedge should have had self levelling rear suspension. No-one was that worried about it being a saloon in the mid 70s. The Ford and GM competitors didn't get a hatch until 1982.

5 hours ago, artdjones said:

I still like the forum, but do we need page after page of nonce modifications? Especially if you get jumped on when you mention stuff that a lot of nonces have actually used. 

@Joey spudIt's all relative I suppose. 

The best page on Faceplace or InstaChat doesn't get close to the worst page on AS. 

This is my social media, like everything you home in on the subjects you like. I love seeing someone fix an old Triumph with some baking soda and a knitting needle. 

Honestly though I share my own mechanicing of newer (but cheap/end of life) stuff in the hope it'll help someone else in the future (especially my mistakes). 

I like to think the definition of 'shite' is a moveable feast. A Mk5 Astra has lots of equipment and safety stuff but can still be bought (and fixed) cheaply. 

Yes it's not a Vauxhall Viva but the only ones left are either fully restored or terminally rusty. 

• Like 2