Jump to content

Pre-Production Cars


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, omegod said:

Not pre production but back in the days of Halewood producing the escort Mk2 a chap I know who worked there said it was common practice that when an employee ordered car went down the line it would have lots of "extras " fitted  at their request, he's adamant that one guy ended up with what would be the only ever factory Mk2 4 door RS2000 

South Africa or it could be Australia, not sure which got a 4 door Mk2 RS2000, a few have made it over here in last few years. 

Remember reading in Practical Classics about a Mk3 Capri, really early so maybe a 77 on an S plate. It was in peppermint green which wasn’t a mk3 colour, it had started life as a Mk2 then panelled up as a Mk3 as a pre production. Once ford had done with it it ended up a tuning project at Autocar, then obscurity beckoned until it was found and restored. 

A few others I can think of is the pre pro Rover SD1s that have survived and the ex Nick Larkin BL wedge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sierraman said:

South Africa or it could be Australia, not sure which got a 4 door Mk2 RS2000, a few have made it over here in last few years. 

Remember reading in Practical Classics about a Mk3 Capri, really early so maybe a 77 on an S plate. It was in peppermint green which wasn’t a mk3 colour, it had started life as a Mk2 then panelled up as a Mk3 as a pre production. Once ford had done with it it ended up a tuning project at Autocar, then obscurity beckoned until it was found and restored. 

A few others I can think of is the pre pro Rover SD1s that have survived and the ex Nick Larkin BL wedge. 

 

I doubt it. UK market RS2000's were all built at Saarlouis in Germany.  A good pub story though.

 

The Peppermint green 3000S Capri was a very early production car that was owned in later years by John Miles. Peppermint was a short lived colour avaiolable on the Fiasta, Cortina and Capri.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 10:41 PM, sheffcortinacentre said:

Have tried to find info on what vehicles were used to test the MK3 Corrina running gear,ohc engines etc but never had much luck.believe the ohc engines may have been fitted in capris.

Have one pic of rear axle in a non Cortina ( shows a transverse fuel tank) but pretty sure is a pinto as these originally were sold with the 1.6 ohc  & the European ohc.

Almost; the 1600 Ford Pinto had a UK supplied 1600 Crossflow 711M. I think a lot of the Mark 3 development was done in Germany using Taunus bodies. It was designed to replace both cars, not very well either.  That suspension was a disaster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

 

I doubt it. UK market RS2000's were all built at Saarlouis in Germany.  A good pub story though.

 

The Peppermint green 3000S Capri was a very early production car that was owned in later years by John Miles. Peppermint was a short lived colour avaiolable on the Fiasta, Cortina and Capri.

The Peppermint Capri still exists and has been modelled by Vanguards in 1/43 and Oxford in 1/76. The reg VHK 494S is immediately before Bodie's silver one from The Professionals, presumably also pre-production/pilot build.

48635106138_f55b4d4a06_c.jpg

Peppermint Capri by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some surviving pre-production cars I've seen, all with non-production features.

The only Droop Snoot Firenza that isn't silver

47753385662_f1c163119c_c.jpg

AXD 771M - 1974 Vauxhall Firenza HP 2300 by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

S-reg TR7 convertible, not only pre-production but made in a different factory. This came from Speke but production had moved to Canley before launch.

42648242311_49acfe1550_c.jpg

YRW 573S - 1978 Triumph TR7 by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Even older TR7, later used as a Sprint development car

35653125796_34c8e90e94_c.jpg

KDU 366N - 1975 Triumph TR7 Sprint by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

The wedge driven by dollywobbler. Morris chassis number, Wolseley styling, upgraded from HL to HLS trim and a non-standard colour.

35650639416_2396399eab_c.jpg

SMG 413M - 1974 Wolseley 2200 HL by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

 

I doubt it. UK market RS2000's were all built at Saarlouis in Germany.  A good pub story though.

 

The Peppermint green 3000S Capri was a very early production car that was owned in later years by John Miles. Peppermint was a short lived colour avaiolable on the Fiasta, Cortina and Capri.

It’s not a pub story it’s fact, here’s an example. 

56216AC4-679F-4C95-9FE7-4727E6FB4804.jpeg

C437B842-66A5-4B26-ACDB-21201F9BEE89.png

9ACAFA69-A4E7-4D18-B842-2D09643B315C.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, quicksilver said:

The Peppermint Capri still exists and has been modelled by Vanguards in 1/43 and Oxford in 1/76. The reg VHK 494S is immediately before Bodie's silver one from The Professionals, presumably also pre-production/pilot build.

48635106138_f55b4d4a06_c.jpg

Peppermint Capri by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

That was the colour of the other factories Escort in my yarn above... no salmon pink Capris then?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback,

One of the Pre-production Rover SD1s, MOC229P was used in The New Avengers, & later had it's reg reworked to MOO229R for use as Cowley's car in the early episodes of The Professionals.

Michael Edwardes used one of the Rover SD1 estates as he daily driver while running BL.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford UK built between 50 & 1004 Dr MK1 escort Mexico's as well as 3 MK1 Mexico estates & an RS2000 est far as I know it & 2 of the Mexico's still exist as well as several of the 4drs.

They were built to evaluate the possibility of being part of the mk2 range to compete with the Vauxhall sportshatch which did actually make it into production though with only  just over 100 being made before be for the 74 fuel crisis killed them off.

The mk2 1300/1600 4 Dr sport was sold for approx the first 12 months in the UK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

The mk2 1300/1600 4 Dr sport was sold for approx the first 12 months in the UK.

I broke one up (P reg 1600) for the engine and gearbox circa 1988. It was Olympic blue and as rotten as a pear.  £150! It was advertised as an engine in Motoring News (as it was then), rang up and the engine was still in the car. So we went down with a Granada 2.8 Estate and trailer and picked it up, owner couldn't be arsed taking the engine out. It had four spoke RS alloys on (Capri Laser ones so not very old) and some other bits. It's remarkable how rotten ten year old Fords were back then, absolutely diabolical really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 2:12 AM, sheffcortinacentre said:

Early maestro's were avl with a "1600" E series

Not strictly speaking an E series, it was designated R series, although apart from the changed cubic capacity there wasn't much difference. 

Replaced by the S series, which was also based on the E series but with a more comprehensive update.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 4:27 PM, martc said:

Not pre-production, but 'experimental'. When I started work in 1983 the company pool car was a salmon pink Ford Escort Mk2. Apparently it was from a small batch of cars sprayed in different colours as part of a styling exercise. Some of the radical 70's colours were adopted, the salmon pink was not and the car was included cheap in a deal they had for a fleet purchase of Ford cars.

Our Escort was roughly this colour -

ro31.jpg

I'm currently reading Ant Anstead's book "Cops and Robbers" about the history of British police cars.

This page seems to tie in with the above recollection of pink Escorts going to fleet customers:

20200123_212530.thumb.jpg.692c9a8c3cd0ba4083575dfb23ebe548.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 11:51 PM, sheffcortinacentre said:

Ford UK built between 50 & 1004 Dr MK1 escort Mexico's as well as 3 MK1 Mexico estates & an RS2000 est far as I know it & 2 of the Mexico's still exist as well as several of the 4drs.

They were built to evaluate the possibility of being part of the mk2 range to compete with the Vauxhall sportshatch which did actually make it into production though with only  just over 100 being made before be for the 74 fuel crisis killed them off.

The mk2 1300/1600 4 Dr sport was sold for approx the first 12 months in the UK.

There were also some 1.6 L Mk2 Escorts, never officially listed and built only for evaluation. One has survived and won the FOTU concours a few years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was taken round the Rover test track in the late 60's in a pre-production prototype of  the original Range Rover. It was turquoise blue with a tan interior. Rubber mats inside. Impressions - completely unlike anything I had ever seen at the time - especially the huge glass area. We went right round the test track on huge inclines and up to it's axels in mud. Interesting days. 

Not a prototype story - I met Sir William Lyons on the Jaguar stand at the Motor Show in the late 60's. Amazing - Jaguar at the time was largely his vision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A mate of mine had a pre production T5 dark blue metallic saloon which was on an L plate and it clocked up some miles and my uncle bought it years later and was a reliable old beast and my mate really did use and abuse it but I wouldn’t of touched it with a bargepole.

 

It was an ex police traffic car and had the obligatory wires cut here and there and apparently the police got hold of a few to trial before it went on sale to the general public.

He did say it was hard getting insurance on it as they shouldn’t exist on that year.

It ended up getting a set of Northern Irish number plates as he registered it at his family’s home address.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

There were also some 1.6 L Mk2 Escorts, never officially listed and built only for evaluation. One has survived and won the FOTU concours a few years ago.

I think Spotted Laurel found one when checking the out the visible plates on those pictures taken around Preston 40 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, quicksilver said:

There were also some 1.6 L Mk2 Escorts, never officially listed and built only for evaluation. One has survived and won the FOTU concours a few years ago.

The 1.6L Mark 2 Escort became a regular production model in September 1979 along with a 1.6 GL. They were never very common but there were a few about - Ford using up as many 1600 Crossflows as it could before the Mark 2 was discontinued.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, quicksilver said:

There were also some 1.6 L Mk2 Escorts, never officially listed and built only for evaluation. One has survived and won the FOTU concours a few years ago.

I know the ones you mean, from mid 1979 they were a regular production 1.6 model in L and GL trim, but in 1978 they did something like 150 round headlamp 'L' models for evaluation. At one point a couple of years ago someone was asking over £7k for this one on ebay, price later dropped to around £5k, described as 'the Holy Grail of Escorts, rarer than a RS1800'. Errm, ok, good luck with that.

(A very basic 'L-spec' 4-door with a 1600 pushrod crossflow).

4bIX7e6.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...