Dolomite 1300 - Running issues; advice please!

garycox

There’s a new clear in-line filter before the pump which is full and clear, and the pump is new. 

I’m convinced it fuelling related rather than electrical but most people are more knowledgeable than me so open to any suggestions!

It must be something relatively minor but it’s doing my head in (and has already cost a days pay so far through being unable to get to work!)

I had something similar with a Volvo amazon and it turned out to be the float level in the carb dashpot being too low- after I replaced everything else. Not my finest hour , utter heap that was.

Garycox - another thought. You don't mention cleaning out the float chamber. In the 80s my commute used to be M25- M26-M20 which I used to do in a 6 year old (and therefore cheap) Citroen GS 1220. There was a period of 2 or 3 weeks when it would - every single morning - come to a spluttering halt half way along the M26. I assumed it was duff / damp ignition, since the dizzy is very low down and the roads was winter. I replaced all the electrical bits and went through a whole can of WD40 without success. It turned out to be the fuel filter disintegrating and bits of it (the clean side) getting into the float chamber. After 20 miles of 80/90 mph M25/M26 (this was possible in the 80s) enough particles of filter would have been dragged into the exit port to block it. After a couple of minutes with the engine off or even just idling they would float to the top again and of we could go. It never did this on the way home - I can only assume because the traffic was only doing 60/70 and so the fuel flow was not quite enough to drag the particles down. Once I threw the filter away and clean out the float chamber it never happened again. I'm sure some of my fellow commuters though I had been sitting on the hard should for 3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

We changed the condenser and it made no difference. 

Crap in the tank is the next thing to eliminate, so the tank’s out and currently drying in the garden after being flushed out as best I could. The short bit of rubber pipe joining the tank to the main metal pipe was knackered so that can’t have been helping.

Question: when I removed (cut in half) that pipe, should fuel have freely flowed out of the tank or does it have some sort of thing that makes it not do that? Because it didn’t.

Do these have one of those socks over the fuel pick up in the tank to stop it sucking up crap?  If so, perhaps that's gone/clogged/stuck in the pipe.  Initially it really did sound like condenser issues too.  Whatever it is, you can bet it'll be something simple and stupid.  Hopefully you'll have better luck than Captain70s did with his!

Not much, there was some “stuff” in there but less than expected. 

Anyway, all refitted with a new rubber pipe and it’s EXACTY THE BASTARD SAME.

in addition, the clutch is now playing up again and it’s near impossible to get in any gear when stationary.

AARGH

This car is costing me an awful lot in train fares.

55 minutes ago, SiC said:

When you changed the condenser, did you put new points on or at least inspect the points? A condenser failing takes out the points. 

Seconding this.  Even if they look okay to the eye it's important to at least clean and regap them at the very least.

You mentioned that it's hard to restart after it dies... I'd be curious to see if a (careful!) scoosh of fuel down the carb throat makes it spring to life immediately again.

Take it you don't know anyone with an exhaust CO% meter or a friendly garage who could check it out for you...it should be really easy to see if it's fuel starvation as the CO level will drop like a stone right as she cuts out.  Whereas if it's an ignition issue I would expect it to go up due to poor combustion.

If this is an su carb it really sounds like overfuelling. 

Is there fuel coming from the float chamber vent pipe?

This is a symptom if so.

Take off the float chamber lid and check the float isn't holed and failing to .... errrrr float, which is the mechanism which shuts off the fuel when the desired level is present in the float chamber. 

If that's ok lift the float to replicate a full float chamber and blow into the fuel inlet pipe. No air should pass.

If air passes it may be crud blocking the needle valve. Or a faulty valve. Or the valve could require adjustment (Google su float adjustment as there are different methods depending on the type of float)

The pump pressure could also be too high for the needle valve to shut off which would require a pressure limiting device in line.

Alternatively it could be none of this.  It does sound like how my mini behaves when oveefuelling though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We fitted a heat shield as suggested by a couple of other Dolomite 1300 owners, and simultaneously the clutch decided to go on strike, so now that needs fixing before it can be test driven ?

Frankly, I’ve lost patience with this now. I’ve spent a load in train fares because we need more than one working car, and yesterday I bought a Saab. 

Another imminent purchase means I need money and space, so this, the Astra and the Simca need to go. I’d like to fix this so it goes in a driveable state but motivation is pretty low right now so, if anyone fancies it as-is, let me know.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:19 PM, garycox said:

We fitted a heat shield as suggested by a couple of other Dolomite 1300 owners, and simultaneously the clutch decided to go on strike, so now that needs fixing before it can be test driven ?

Frankly, I’ve lost patience with this now. I’ve spent a load in train fares because we need more than one working car, and yesterday I bought a Saab. 

Another imminent purchase means I need money and space, so this, the Astra and the Simca need to go. I’d like to fix this so it goes in a driveable state but motivation is pretty low right now so, if anyone fancies it as-is, let me know.

Is the clutch not engaging? When I first got it I had to fit a new slave cylinder which was a devil to bleed. The trick was to bleed it then bolt it on as you can get a better angle. The slave is a known weak spot on these and they don’t like to be sat unused. They are easy to change from under the car but even easier if you take the transmission cover off - lots of pics on my thread about the Dolly.