Austin Maxi

keef

On 2/16/2020 at 5:58 PM, ETCHY said:

Cool pic' a proper 1970's car park.

Interesting that the car out of that lot with what we would consider a still modern spec', acceptable today, is the Maxi.  Front wheel drive, independent suspension, 5 door hatchback, 5 speed gearbox.  BL were well ahead of the game with that car !

George Harriman MD of BMC was sidelined and belittled in the Leyland takeover around the FWD Maxi and exiting the markets dominated by Ford.

That was reversed by Donald Stokes who sought to develop Marina.

But in the end George was right - fwd hatchbacks were the future and moving to a more sophisticated range of cars in the marketplace would have paid off in the end - for example VW - even Ford abandoned their cheap and cheerful rwd range in the 70's on.

This prototype picture I found online to looks much better somehow. The infill grille in the c pillar window helps the car look more substantial and a bit more.. normal. 

BxMpmPi.jpg

• Like 2

I

12 minutes ago, Skut said:

This prototype picture I found online to looks much better somehow. The infill grille in the c pillar window helps the car look more substantial and a bit more.. normal. 

BxMpmPi.jpg

Isn't that the saloon version which was cancelled at the last minute?  

25 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

I

Isn't that the saloon version which was cancelled at the last minute?  

Well it does look booted I agree, but the full fat Maxi saloon was this eye bleach thing. 

maxi-saloon.jpg.c1cd63fa5a6edec83889463e25b7a869.jpg

On 3/2/2020 at 1:09 AM, keef said:

Works rally Maxis had their tailgate welded up for strength. Here's a view of Puff showing the boot created.

image.png

ive met that very car, and it's lovely pilot, on several occasions marshalling the rally stage at goodwood.  it's great to see it being used in the way it should be! :-)

On 3/2/2020 at 8:21 AM, Skut said:

Well it does look booted I agree, but the full fat Maxi saloon was this eye bleach thing. 

maxi-saloon.jpg.c1cd63fa5a6edec83889463e25b7a869.jpg

Would of looked nice if the top of the boot was rounded off more.

2 hours ago, Austat said:

Would of looked nice if the top of the boot was rounded off more.

Agreed. It’s also too short and stubby, needs more overhang.

5 minutes ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Agreed. It’s also too short and stubby, needs more overhang.

The real question is would the Maxi saloon look good if it was a Tasman/Kimberley body with a Maxi front end?

Austin_X6_Kimberley_c._1973_Australia_16755627111.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Austat said:

The real question is would the Maxi saloon look good if it was a Tasman/Kimberley body with a Maxi front end?

I think so, the Tasman/Kimberley does have quite a nice bum.

image.jpeg.19b3499a91fd9a256e12004b1e449ffc.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Stumbled upon this whilst looking for old wedding car pics- I’m bored OK?
Real part of the family vibe , notice the extending wing mirrors for caravan tug duties.

17B7DAFB-1E79-4301-8E18-8CF002BEC5C6.thumb.jpeg.e2c051ec209369e815c35b4e6b419b16.jpeg

Cool pic, I like that a lot

Doesn't it somehow look  like a really old  photo- older than it  can actually be?

On 3/24/2020 at 1:01 AM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Stumbled upon this whilst looking for old wedding car pics- I’m bored OK?
Real part of the family vibe , notice the extending wing mirrors for caravan tug duties.

17B7DAFB-1E79-4301-8E18-8CF002BEC5C6.thumb.jpeg.e2c051ec209369e815c35b4e6b419b16.jpeg

My dad's Maxi had extending wing mirrors but for no reason what so ever! Nice photo by the way.

2 minutes ago, Austat said:

My dad's Maxi had extending wing mirrors but for no reason what so ever! Nice photo by the way.

Had he owned it from new?

If he wasn't the original owner a PO probably fitted them as they were towing something. ;)

4 hours ago, keef said:

Had he owned it from new?

If he wasn't the original owner a PO probably fitted them as they were towing something. ;)

His dad bought it in around 1979/1980 so probably not. My grandad purchased it second hand at a BL dealership, I believe from Caffyns of Tunbridge Wells. It's a mystery why it had those wing mirrors, perhaps better visibility?