LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

I used to love driving in London, the challenge, fighting for every inch, round Hyde park corner etc, my claim to fame is putting a black cab up the kerb in Tottenham court road, and those bastards didn't give way to anyone! 😱

Probably helped that I was usually in a very battered MK2 cortina auto with column change, and another ding or scratch meant nothing.

Now? No chance, if I never have to go there again it'll be too soon.

When I was delivering demonstration vehicles from Huntingdon, well alconbury, about 15 years ago we used to say London was a 6-7 hour round trip,  and that was before all the ulez bollocks, and the congestion charge had only just started.

God knows how the guys doing jobs get on with it now

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I remember being cut up by a mini (old proper one) back of Victoria Station many years ago. Nothing unusual in that except I was driving a BFO six wheel Scammell wrecker painted bright yellow with lots of flashing lights on it. The mini almost went under the front bumper.

Good luck with driving REV in London LBF.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

I really don’t know how anyone drives in London. Period.

Come join me one day in my old HiAce. It's so much more fun when you can view it as a target rich environment.

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

I think I’ve mentioned it before but a few years ago, I had a contract with Dennis Eagle that involved picking up a bin wagon from Barnet councils yard on an afternoon and take it a few miles to the service centre in Beckton before picking it up early the next morning and returning it to the depot.

Apparently the unions wouldn’t let the drivers take them themselves so I commuted from near Coventry to London and back multiple times a week.

Anyway, apart from stinking of bin juice, they were a hoot to navigate through the city. Properly quick off the mark when empty, everyone including the cabs kept well out of your way. I’m convinced that they were the quickest thing on more than two wheels to progress in without blue lights.

Another contract I had involved delivering the Caetano bendy buses from the uk importer in Coventry to various depots across the city when they were being introduced by Red Ken.

They too were pretty swift given the low weight and gearing…their party trick was their ability to ‘make satisfactory progress’ around roundabouts due to their inherent stability around corners because of the articulation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, comfortablynumb said:

I used to love driving in London, the challenge, fighting for every inch, round Hyde park corner etc, my claim to fame is putting a black cab up the kerb in Tottenham court road, and those bastards didn't give way to anyone! 😱

Probably helped that I was usually in a very battered MK2 cortina auto with column change, and another ding or scratch meant nothing.

Now? No chance, if I never have to go there again it'll be too soon.

When I was delivering demonstration vehicles from Huntingdon, well alconbury, about 15 years ago we used to say London was a 6-7 hour round trip,  and that was before all the ulez bollocks, and the congestion charge had only just started.

God knows how the guys doing jobs get on with it now

Completely agree. Around 1996 I spent 18 months seeing a girl in Harringay. Even by then I had a pretty good knowledge of the area due to my Routemaster interests but every week I refined my run from the end of the M3 to Harringay.

There was no sat nav then, I just had an AtoZ, studied it and tried something different each week. I found a route that avoided the North Circular completely and most of the other major routes. Even on a Sunday evening I could get from Harringay Green Lanes to the M3 in under an hour

But I've tried using some of those routes in recent years and it's depressing. It's not just the almost total 20 zones, they speed bumped almost all my shortcuts so they're not shortcuts anymore. So that forces you back to the North Circular which is also running at about 20 but at least you don't have the speed bumps. 

Like you, I used to enjoy the challenge and Sunday mornings were great because London stays up late on a Saturday so everybody has a lie in on Sunday. But even that seems to have gone now. There is no quiet time ever anymore. I'm just glad I was able to enjoy it when it was possible. 

3 minutes ago, Sheefag said:

I distinctly remember, their other party trick was spontaneous combustion.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/24/transport.world

Funny you mention that…a few of my colleagues were kept busy for a good while touring the city and carrying out the modification to the cooling system to them on the roadside. Apparently, there wasn’t enough room in the depots to be able to open the engine compartments when they were stabled overnight so they used to do them at bus stops whilst on breaks in duty.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Sheefag said:

Come join me one day in my old HiAce. It's so much more fun when you can view it as a target rich environment.

Based on guidance available, I think that would be incomparable with my security clearance. 

14 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

What happened to the bendy buses after they were deemed no good? They weren’t very old were they?

We ended up with a few of them on Park & Ride duties in Norwich.  One of them got stuck on a roundabout in the snow once, brought the entire city centre to a halt.

8 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

What happened to the bendy buses after they were deemed no good? They weren’t very old were they?

I think they went abroad, to Malta or such? where they promptly all broke and took out that places transportation system for a while....

London Bendy buses amuse me as they are a classic example of those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it, because London Transport tried just that back in the 1970's they replaced a bunch of Routemasters, with new "Red Arrow" services, Merlins and Swifts with mostly Standing space only and little in the way of seating, they where both unpopular because punters did not like being packed in like sardines and the buses themselves where much less reliable then a Routemaster

It makes me wonder how long Routemasters would of remained in service if they where not forced off the road in 2003-2005, would their 2 man crew have become too expensive to justify even in Central London, or would they still be going now, perhaps spruced back up in recognition of their landmark status?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Zanussi found a home for many.

Actually that's true. Most were leased and many ended up sitting in fields until scrapped. Some found homes as airport shuttle buses, some were exported to Malta where they lasted even less time.

Oh, and they weren't a Caetano they were proper Mercs (which did the same in their native country) apart from a solitary Volvo.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

I saw some in Brighton but laughably a whole load of them ended up in Malta where they were even less popular and ridiculously unsuitable. 

Edit : in the time it took to type that one sentence two of you beat me to it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Not sure…my involvement with them had finished by then. As @wuvvum mentioned, I imagine they were redistributed around the country to other operators. I know I’ve seen a few around…the giveaway is the B* reg prefixes as they were all registered at Evobus in Coventry so wore Birmingham plates.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Oh, and they weren't a Caetano they were proper Mercs (which did the same in their native country) apart from a solitary Volvo.

My mistake, I meant to say they were Mercedes Citaros, not Caetanos! I knew it didn’t look right when I typed it.

I know they were definitely Mercedes as that’s who I worked for indirectly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Didn't they also earn a reputation for killing cyclists?

Some* could say the cyclists had a reputation for obstructing the buses.

It’s not as if they were difficult to see and keep out of the way of being very long and painted bright red.

*not me, of course…that would be irresponsible.

12 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

It makes me wonder how long Routemasters would of remained in service if they where not forced off the road in 2003-2005, would their 2 man crew have become too expensive to justify even in Central London, or would they still be going now, perhaps spruced back up in recognition of their landmark status?

They shouldn't have even been on the road this century as they had a design life of 20 years (12 years was good for a bus back then). Only because of London Transport's inability and unwillingness to deal with Fleetlines like the rest of the planet did and a "wasn't designed in London" attitude kept them going. Same with the Merc artics.

1 hour ago, NorthernMonkey said:

I think I’ve mentioned it before but a few years ago, I had a contract with Dennis Eagle that involved picking up a bin wagon from Barnet councils yard on an afternoon and take it a few miles to the service centre in Beckton before picking it up early the next morning and returning it to the depot.

Apparently the unions wouldn’t let the drivers take them themselves so I commuted from near Coventry to London and back multiple times a week.

Anyway, apart from stinking of bin juice, they were a hoot to navigate through the city. Properly quick off the mark when empty, everyone including the cabs kept well out of your way. I’m convinced that they were the quickest thing on more than two wheels to progress in without blue lights.

Funny you should say that. Back in 2012 myself and four other HGV drivers were tasked with driving five brand new Mercedes Econic bin wagons from a rental depot in Warrington down to the Olympic village to be used during the games. It was great fun and an easy days work. The only problem was the return journey as the tight arsed agency had paid for the cheapest Enterprise Car Rental one way hire back to Warrington. A Chevy Spark! I agreed to drive us back as at least that way I'd have more space.

Back in my HGV days I was one of only a few drivers on the agencies books who was willing to take an artic into the centre of London. The truth is I actually enjoyed it! Once you understand that all those crazy cyclists and scooter riders are aware of you and despite what you may think aren't actually going to end up under your 22.5" tyres then it's all good fun!

39 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

They shouldn't have even been on the road this century as they had a design life of 20 years (12 years was good for a bus back then). Only because of London Transport's inability and unwillingness to deal with Fleetlines like the rest of the planet did and a "wasn't designed in London" attitude kept them going. Same with the Merc artics.

how would they have reacted to volvo ailsas with alexander bodies then? all built in scotland

58 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I think they went abroad, to Malta or such? where they promptly all broke and took out that places transportation system for a while....

London Bendy buses amuse me as they are a classic example of those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it, because London Transport tried just that back in the 1970's they replaced a bunch of Routemasters, with new "Red Arrow" services, Merlins and Swifts with mostly Standing space only and little in the way of seating, they where both unpopular because punters did not like being packed in like sardines and the buses themselves where much less reliable then a Routemaster

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/new_routemasters_withdrawal_by_2

Have you read this?

As someone who has actually driven an Invacar right through London and who had genuine experience of driving one in winter, I think folk are imagining issues.

I fully admit the Invacar weaknesses on fast roads, as I live amongst them, but the Invacar works REALLY well in city driving. Brisk to 30mph, manoeuvrable and, with simple ignition upgrades, surprisingly reliable. The only real downsides are safety if someone hits you, and the complete lack of over-the-shoulder vision. Extra mirrors are essential.

Being young is also about doing daft shit in unsuitable vehicles. Some never grow out of that.

16 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

how would they have reacted to volvo ailsas with alexander bodies then? all built in scotland

https://www.flickr.com/photos/williamjl_photography/50353304636

A103 SUU

we had a few including this one-off one with 2 staircases :) 

https://web.archive.org/web/20211204004409/http://www.countrybus.org/Ailsa/V.htm

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

I've heard this too, although I don't know if it is true. Although of course they will be 18 years old by then which is quite a normal age for a bus and probably older than any other bus in London at the moment. The oldest buses in the Bluestar fleet here in Southampton are currently 58 plate Tridents and Scania Omnidekka so considerably newer. 

Having said that, the Boris buses should be easier to  retrofit with batteries because the wheels are already driven by electric motors. The engine just acts as a generator for said motors. Like a Vauxhall Ampera. Doesn't mean they'll do it of course, probably still cheaper to buy new BYDs

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

Pfft, if you haven't driven a 1972 Nottingham Fleetline around London and closed off Westminster Bridge with it, you aren't doing it right.

"together we can stop climate chaos" please tell me that had a Gardner engine for *maximum* irony points?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, R Lutz said:

Based on guidance available, I think that would be incomparable with my security clearance. 

Anyone with a cursory knowledge of ordnance would realise that if I haven't gone off by now, I'm not going to.

1 minute ago, Sheefag said:

Anyone with a cursory knowledge of ordnance would realise that if I haven't gone off  men by now, I'm not going to.

EFA.