Honda Civic - I failed to find a decent car with A/C for buttons

pandamonium

Did this work out to be more expensive than repairing the BINI's A/C?

No, as now I'll have 150 quid in my pocket that I didn't have before.

(Yeah, I could have sold the E-bike for 300ish, so technically 100-150 down, but ssh, I don't want to think about that!)

All I will say is this: Both the Scirocco and the Civic are cars that I bought off autoshite, and both are cars which I improved from the condition I took them on in. I thought the whole point of Autoshite was to take on unpopular and worthless cars, try to improve them or at least give them a stay of execution from the bridge.

You know, you pretty much just laughing about the VW breaking down on the way home sealed it for me. Saying 'what did you expect from a £200 (or whatever) car is NOT the answer, because what people expect is the truth.

Using that 'well, it's an old car' thing really doesn't work, because if that were the case then anyone can list a cheap car that could have missing two gears, had a slipping clutch, knackered head gasket or whatever, not declare the faults then just say 'it's a cheap banger what did you expect?'

If anyone sells or raffles a car and lists all known major faults then fair enough, but shit brakes an underpowered engine and undisclosed oil leaks (not to mention the Scirocco) just isn't cricket. Really it isn't. No matter what the price.

You know, you pretty much just laughing about the VW breaking down on the way home sealed it for me. Saying 'what did you expect from a £200 (or whatever) car is NOT the answer, because what people expect is the truth.

Using that 'well, it's an old car' thing really doesn't work, because if that were the case then anyone can list a cheap car that could have missing two gears, had a slipping clutch, knackered head gasket or whatever, not declare the faults then just say 'it's a cheap banger what did you expect?'

If anyone sells or raffles a car and lists all known major faults then fair enough, but shit brakes an underpowered engine and undisclosed oil leaks (not to mention the Scirocco) just isn't cricket. Really it isn't. No matter what the price.

I don't actually agree with this description of the car. Yehitsryan may or may not wish to comment. I expect he won't want to get involved. I did send him up the road with a Mitsubishi Lancer estate which he is apparently very satisfied with - low mpg figures aside.

Undisclosed faults? Bullshit! I told Pandamonium both on the phone and when I was there that the ABS light comes on intermittently. The oil leak was mentioned on here. He said its fine, its an old banger.

I would have preferred a pm, I have sent a pm but it's not been answered. Basically it's between him and me, the fact that it's been made public on here doesn't actually make it any of your business. It just means that you have a right to make non slanderous comments because we live in a society which enjoys freedom of speech.

Shame that it has come to this. On a £200 working car.

This^ ...at this level of spend ye pays yer money an takes yer chances. Ive bought a couple of cars on here....100 quid and 250 quid and the fact they made it home was a bonus. I think this all needs to be kept in context. It was never going to be a minter...it was listed as having faults. At 200 quid its spares or repairs territory and unfortunately this is one sale out of many on here that has gone wrong. Cant stand seeing public slangin matches....keep that to pm's if need be

Shame that it has come to this. On a £200 working car.

Agreed. What have I come out of this with? An electric assist folding bicycle. In exchange for a car which is perfectly usable in my opinion. I wouldn't mind but what really grates here is that the brakes on the bike came apart, the light and mudguard on the front fell down and the cables to the lights simply fell out 3 times on my way back. I'm going to spend a bit of time and effort sorting out it's few small issues. The same thing could be done with the Civic instead of sending it straight over the bridge.

This^ ...at this level of spend ye pays yer money an takes yer chances. Ive bought a couple of cars on here....100 quid and 250 quid and the fact they made it home was a bonus. I think this all needs to be kept in context. It was never going to be a minter...it was listed as having faults. At 200 quid its spares or repairs territory and unfortunately this is one sale out of many on here that has gone wrong. Cant stand seeing public slangin matches....keep that to pm's if need be

While I agree to a certain extent, it is entirely possible to buy a fully working car for £200. Or less. I'm not entirely sure whether we've got a description fail here or not, but it is not unreasonable to find fault with a £200 car. The whole point of this place is the element of trust. I've bought a £230 car on here before, and put almost 600 miles on it just getting home. The car ran without fault and because of this place, there wasn't a moment I thought 'maybe this is a bit risky.'

While I agree to a certain extent, it is entirely possible to buy a fully working car for £200. Or less. I'm not entirely sure whether we've got a description fail here or not, but it is not unreasonable to find fault with a £200 car. The whole point of this place is the element of trust. I've bought a £230 car on here before, and put almost 600 miles on it just getting home. The car ran without fault and because of this place, there wasn't a moment I thought 'maybe this is a bit risky.'

I have had but 1 sub £500 car - including many off here - which did not have issues needing attention. - and that was the ex - Spartacus 106 currently on roffle again on here. Quite a number have broken down on the way home. It's just part of hobby Imo, having FTP's, sorting out issues on cheap cars. If I wanted a fault free car, I'd pay through my nose to get a 3 years old car with a forecourt warranty. It's a bit disconcerting that people expect so much for so little.....

If you want a truly bloody great £250 car buy that 106 off Spartacus.

I have bought many cars on here. From £100 to £1500. Never once have I complained about faults. If faults there were then I would just accept them. Buying stuff on here is just what it is. Cheaper than anywhere else and honest sellers.

Saying 'what did you expect from a £200 (or whatever) car is NOT the answer, because what people expect is the truth.

No matter what the price.

The whole point of this place is the element of trust.

Cheaper than anywhere else and honest sellers.

ding ding ding

Sounds like this may have been a shit deal both ways, but that lack of overselling of cars is one of the things I like about buying from on here.

For goodness sake people.

The car wasn't all I expected it to be. Perhaps my view of what is a 'viable car' is different to other people's. Perhaps it really was crap.

Either way, I have, rightly or wrongly, posted a thread detailing my experience with the car. I have not said it was anyone's fault, and if I'd got it from eBay, this thread would have been a lot shorter.

To be fair, doubleyeller took the car as a trade and passed it on, thinking it deserved a last chance instead of going to the crusher. Even if he was wrong, he's not to blame for it being a heap.

I'd ask that this thread is closed / removed and that no more discussion is entered into. I suffer from enough anxiety without worrying about this, and that's the reason I don't post as much as I used to.

Car is off to a new home tonight, and is probably going round the oval as its final punishment.

To sum up.

- Doubleyeller is a decent bloke.

- Car is finished (in my opinion)

- I failed in finding a decent car with A/C for next to nothing.

Let's go back to discussing Marinas and Allegros eh?