The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I was just down at the local jetwash and the guy next to me in a new Qashqai opened the bonnet and hosed it down with the pressure washer.I've seen people steam clean engine bays but never blast it with a high pressure washer. Is this normal as I was always presumed cars, electric and water aren't all that great together,? He then open each door and cleaned the door shuts and boot floor with the high pressure hose . A new one on me.

In other news the Puma's sold. Off for a few more years of service hopefully. I'm now on the lookout for something daft. I was hoping that 928 was going to fit the bill but it was a total shite box so this XJ12 has now caught my eye. Anyone any experience of them?

$(KGrHqRHJDYFC1F(WN3EBRMP7ncw7g~~40_20.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ12-xj6-x300-/170999235431?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27d0594367

I was just down at the local jetwash and the guy next to me in a new Qashqai opened the bonnet and hosed it down with the pressure washer.I've seen people steam clean engine bays but never blast it with a high pressure washer. Is this normal as I was always presumed cars, electric and water aren't all that great together,? He then open each door and cleaned the door shuts and boot floor with the high pressure hose . A new one on me.

Like this you mean? :lol::shock:

I once jetwashed an engine. It was an old Citroen Diesel and I thought I'd get away with it.

Cost me an alternator.... :evil:

I've jetwashed several engines. Golden rules are keep the lance well away from everything to reduce the pressure, and don't aim it at anything blatantly electronic or air-intake like. Slop a load of Gunk or similar everywhere, then wash off. If you're not careful, you will fill things with water that shouldn't be filled with water, and you'll probably lose stickers as well. Don't try this with a Mini as it'll probably never start ever again. I've done door shuts too, but not interiors - at least, not while the interior was still inside the car!

Got rid of my supposed sensible purchase of a 2002 passat tdi, which turned out to be a sizzling turd of a car in many ways. A totally rational purchase (very unusual for me!) After a plethora of dash warning light troubles and DMF anxiety, i decided to go back to basics for my daily to sit alongside the 3.8S in the fleet. Enter a 1966 volvo amazon with a b20 transplant. Picked it up yesterday. Pleased by the simple dash with a bare minimum of sensors and warning lights!

IMG_7921_zpse12e27f6.jpg

I've jetwashed loads of motors too, no problem on diesels, (NOT new ones with a pentium processor on the inlet manifold obv) and on a pez engine i expect to have to spray the dizzy with WD afterwards, so far no serious damage done

That looks gorgeous! Nice buy.

+eleventybillion - That looks ace, Amazons are fab cars! 8)

I used to have one, loved it.

That Volvo is flipping beautiful!

I've also jetwashed dozens of engines - every t4/t5 camper I did last year got the engine covered in TFR and then a thorough jetwash, had no problems at all and the only thing I didn't aim the nozzle at was the ECU and throttle body, everything else got some hammer.

Most of the vans got the doors swung open, front seats removed and the cab mat, lower dashboard and the doorcards and headliner jetwashed too, depending on how skanky they were.

The seats were also TFRed and jetwashed, but they took a few weeks to properly dry and even then were a bit heavier than non-washed ones, but they came up a treat.

my news by proxy:

Spent AGES cleaning the Simca up yesterday, polishing the fuggin' chrome and everything, which is not something I ever saw myself doing. Headed to Goodwood this morning. It broke, AGAIN (after 2 days being back on the road)

DSCN4193_zpsa34c2ade.jpg

This also broke (after one day!) but I used my l33t mechanix skillz to get it going again

8523646295_7ef3286e62_z.jpg

Obviously haven't touched my own car at all, at least that is reliable (inasmuch that it is constantly broken)

I do like a nice Amazon. And that looks like a nice Amazon.

I drove down to Somerset this weekend to visit relatives. I took the Scénic, which with its fresh new rear wheel bearing is now properly useable again. It was shite. Hopelessly undergeared for the motorway (80mph satnav = 4,200rpm rev counter), gutless on hills and not even that good on pez - it managed about 38mpg on the 520-mile round trip. Heavy car + small engine + low gearing is not a good recipe for fuel efficiency. Also, I found the driving position a little uncomfortable after a couple of hundred miles, partly due to the seat not really going back far enough.

On the plus side, it didn't break down, and the electrics that worked when I left still worked when I got back. The trip has decided me that it's not a long-term keeper though, so it'll be going on the 'Bay at some point this month.

WHOOSH! That Volvo is the bomb, defo into mega fit territory.

News? Today I'm Carltonless. The right person bought it, he's a big Carlton fan and a fellow Vauxhall lover. Missus has plans for the money (don't they all) hence the sale so maybe her crazy dream will come true. I've also knocked out shit loads of cycles this week so I nearly have enough garage space for a car again.

That Amazon looks GR12, I WILL get one in my life one day, and sorry to hear about the Simca Gary, what's failed this time?.

In other news yesterday we managed to finish the Alto head gasket!! Woo hoo!, The skim was a bit dearer them expected at £61.50, especially when you consider how tiny it is.

8524650437_76669fb955_z.jpg

Engine bay with head removed by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

8524650185_cd1f299800_z.jpg

Reconditioned head being assembled by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

That's the world small exhaust manifold to the right, It all went back together pretty straight forwards and even the cambelt was self tensioning so that was simple to set up as well.

8524651417_6e178e091c_z.jpg

head fitted by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

It took a few moment for the fuel to get round but it fired up well enough and all got warm nicely, still can't find what caused the head to go in the first place as theres no leaks that I can see, I took it for a road rest on a "private test track" as it's bloody strange to drive, it's loud, rattling, feels 100 times quicker then it is and woolly but it's good fun.

I have made a short crap video of it running. http://www.flickr.com/photos/triggersca ... otostream/

I collect it next Saturday from my dad's in Colchester once it's taxed and insured so expect better photos then, Just worked out the car still only owes me £270, not bad!

Nice one, Trig. That should be right as ninepence when you've screwed it all back together.

Top bombing, Trig.

That Amazon is hot stuff. Sitting quite low for a 120 though, wonder if it's on the Lesjofers lowering springs? They take it down by 30mm or so. Much lower and you'll lose the exhaust back box in the standard location. It makes me miss mine :

DSC02217b_zps031f1705.jpg

Not much longer before it goes for some work. Bought a Moto Lita wheel for it the other day.

I'm also getting my eye in with a bit of InDesign \ Quark by mocking up some magazine covers for a Uni module. Got honky copies of both and have spent far too much time tonight pissing around with old photos in Powerpoint. Crash - downloaded fonts from CBRD and dafont, and ended up mashing up a load of nonsense with stupid in-jokes to amuse myself.

ASmag_zps136274d5.jpg

VOLVOMAG_zps0cdf6b55.jpg

BTMOCK_zps8a385952.jpg

Untitled_zps7c05dbfb.jpg

Etc.

Mate, top work. I told you an AS mag would be a good idea, you should knock one up FO REEL. Obv. it'd have to be really shit looking and printed on second hand paper or something.

Trig: didn't realise it was back together, ace work!

The missus is away in to hospital for an operation today. Her health isn't good at the best of times and she's terrified she won't wake up. Not a good day so far here :(

I played around with cameras yesterday and made this. I'd say I haven't yet quite reached the professional standards of say Top Gear just yet. Was interesting to do though. Might try and do one on the Merc next. Maybe I'll do that now as I can't do any work until people start getting back to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILf--isnFyQ

Cool little video DW, I'd like to try something like that with my cars one day, If i knew what I was doing.

Rather amusingly though I had Mike & the Mechanics - Slight Running playing in the background and the start of that seem to go much better with your video!

I like the way the spoiler is in view when the rear view mirror is in shot, was the camera mounted onto the grab handle?

You also have a look of the Setright about you at times, Ian.

I played around with cameras yesterday and made this.

Smart, love the shot of the suspension waking up. 8)

The missus is away in to hospital for an operation today. Her health isn't good at the best of times and she's terrified she won't wake up. Not a good day so far here :(

Hope she's OK mate.

Thanks. The camera was mounted right next to my head, on a sucker-mount. I've been experimenting with the Merc today so another video might follow. Lots to learn about sunlight and wobble!

Oh yes - forgot earlier. Hope all went well CMS. Scary stuff, even though it shouldn't be when you consider the astronomically vast number of successful operations carried out each year.

You also have a look of the Setright about you at times, Ian.

I can't see it myself...]

Around 1:55 when his face is in shadow.

Probably just the beard...

sorry to hear about the Simca Gary, what's failed this time?

Exactly the same bastard thing as last time :roll:

Must be the oil pump or something, hope it can be diagnosed anyway cos I can't afford to repair the engine after every journey (or part thereof).

The 126 is also being a twat, but hopefully it just needs the carb sorting.