BorniteIdentity Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 I had no idea about Peel's Merc. Rather unsurprisingly, I am a massive fanboi - lived in Suffolk and an interest in radio meant that I miniworshipped him. Very little about it online, apart from a poor dub of a C4 documentary when he went around Germany in it. Weirdly though, it was LHD. I'm not overly surprised as he was a bit eccentric, but I did wonder if that was actually HIS car in the documentary or whether it was something sourced for the show. Either way, I'll watch it properly later on. Lacquer Peel 1
95 quid Peugeot Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 He used to mention his Mercedes in his Radio Times column, and generally mentioned the mileage at the same time. At that time, which would maybe be the early 90s, the mileage was about 155k. I find it a little difficult to believe that he clocked up 350k in the ten years or so he had left tbh. I used to pick my mate up for work,in Buxhall in mid-late 1980's aforesaid Mr Peel used to drop his car off for a service/repair at little workshop adjoined the house i cant recall it being a 190 either, so whacking on 500k miles on a replacement doesnt tie up..Also i recall he had an UMM Lacquer Peel 1
BorniteIdentity Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 I reckon. A) It was LHD2) It was counting in KM (meaning just over 300k)D) A little creative licence may have been afforded on this story. There's a very nice guy over on PH in the 'Smoker Barge' thread who has a Merc with 375k on it and still going strong.
62 Austin Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 Sir Peter Jackson, oddly enough, owns an old brewery delivery truck. Not a luxury barge, despite its 55,000 pounds cost.
AMC Rebel Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 I reckon. A) It was LHD2) It was counting in KM (meaning just over 300k)D) A little creative licence may have been afforded on this story. There's a very nice guy over on PH in the 'Smoker Barge' thread who has a Merc with 375k on it and still going strong. Peely had a 60s Impala but I suspect that was in the 60s.
stripped fred Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 John Peel put half a million miles on a Mercedes 190. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2731309/Portrait-of-a-driver-John-Peel.htmlThat's a good article. I do miss John peel.
AMC Rebel Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 From Tony Benns 2001-2007 diaries - UltraWomble, 11001010, BorniteIdentity and 8 others 11
DaveDorson Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 EV car fan and serial chod botherer Jonny Smith is firmly one of us. He's got some W124's, had a 1st Gen Honda Insight for ages, and even has an Enfield 8000 in his stable of cars. I think he was putting a 2.7 Ronda V6 in an Allegro at some point too. Jerzy Woking and Matt 2
fordperv Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 That escort is now part of this dude's...fucking epic ....collection of Ford legends https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/rs-royalty-the-bonkers-collection/23965Yep, ive drooled over pictures of the bonkers collection a good while back
sierraman Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 I’m surprised all these MPs drive old bangers, I’d have thought they’d be knocking about in a Leaf or something. Next you’ll be telling me Siddiq Khan has a Talbot Horizon Diesel. mk2_craig, ProgRocker, J4mes and 1 other 4
BorniteIdentity Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 I’m surprised all these MPs drive old bangers, I’d have thought they’d be knocking about in a Leaf or something. Next you’ll be telling me Siddiq Khan has a Talbot Horizon Diesel.I’m not. When you get the public threatening to kill you because you bought some book shelves for your notes on expenses, it’s best not to smoke around in a new Roller. Lacquer Peel 1
eddyramrod Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 I believe that the Queen has a fleet of Rover 75's tucked away as an investment. She drives a tidy V6 around Balmoral apparently. These cars can only appreciate surely. Ahem.If only we knew people who might have some of these for sale at bargain prices! Lacquer Peel, mk2_craig and Bobthebeard 3
AnthonyG Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 Labour have a lot of form on this, Harriet Harman had a Mk1 Rover 800 well into the 2000s, as did Tessa Jowell. Mandelson had a Mk2 Sterling, which he sold at a pretty heavy loss when it was about 6years old - I remember the newspaper article taking the pee. Blair had a Montego Estate until around the time he got elected - again I remember the (Mirror) article about ‘Blairs Battered Banger’. - it had quite a few dents I believe. The same article mentioned Norma Major turning up to a G7 summit in the early 1990s in a 1984 Montego saloon - which probably wins some kind of Autoshite award. There was a UKIP or Tory MP/MEP who campaigned during the referendum in a Jaguar XJ covered in leave stickers. It was an early X300 on something like an N plate - proper pub landlord spec. TBF it looked well cared for under all the crap. Lord Sterling 1
Ghosty Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 Blair's family car was an early Grand Voyager...
BorniteIdentity Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 I reckon. A) It was LHD2) It was counting in KM (meaning just over 300k)D) A little creative licence may have been afforded on this story. There's a very nice guy over on PH in the 'Smoker Barge' thread who has a Merc with 375k on it and still going strong.Found a video of John on YouTube with the Merc. It was a B plate LHD that he had for 20 years. So 500,000km is only a very reasonable 15k miles a year. Nice evening spent watching my hero. Good thread this. privatewire 1
doug Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 I remember john peel putting out an appeal for anyone that had an Edsel for sale as he wanted one.
Split_Pin Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 I will put this out here for now before researching it properly but a mate told me many years ago that somebody or other who was very high up at Lamborghini drove a 1.3 Opel.
sierraman Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 The Merc is still on the road. Richey Edwards from the manics had an L reg Cavalier, L519HKX, survived a good few years after he sacked it off at Severn Services. egg and warren t claim 2
Junkman Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 Austrian actor Harald Krassnitzer donated his car to a charity auction: He since bought another one. Cardinal Wolseley, privatewire and eddyramrod 3
robinmasters Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 Nothing constructive to add. Just this: davocano 1
sheffcortinacentre Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 Far as i know Ken Bruce still owns a routemaster. twosmoke300 and Banger Kenny 2
Junkman Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 German comedian Dirk Bach and the car he owns since 1998: He says he's got a corkboard at home where he pins all his speeding ticket photos.This is the only car he ever bought. Lacquer Peel 1
Junkman Posted October 17, 2017 Posted October 17, 2017 German political cabaret heavyweight Urban Priol participating in a chod rally with his Audi 100: He also owns a Dyane.One day, he said, he sold his newfangled tosh and got himself the old Audi, because he got sick and tiredof being at the mercy of big corporations and wanted something that he can fix himself if something breaks. Sounds like a bona fide shiter to me? ProgRocker, stormee, Lacquer Peel and 4 others 7
Doctormop Posted October 18, 2017 Posted October 18, 2017 I want to post "For Real" when I read about Richey Edwards and his Cavalier but trying to sound clever and part of the 90's scene never works for me somehow.I suppose it takes a special type of musician to drive a repmobile only just over a year old, Somehow I can't imagine Jimi Hendrix owning a MK2 Cortina 1.3deluxe with a flat battery. Edit, no disrespect intended to any person's living or not. warren t claim 1
Matt Posted October 18, 2017 Posted October 18, 2017 Don't RCR have an undisclosed camera car? The MR2 is Mr R's personal car. Are they keeping quiet on that for a reason or are they just taking their sweet time showing it? has an Enfield 8000 in his stable of cars. Bit of an understatement there, it's the quickest road legal electric car in Europe! https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/1975-enfield-8000-electric-becomes-europes-quickest-street-legal-electric-car/ Lacquer Peel, UltraWomble and coalnotdole 3
Ghosty Posted October 18, 2017 Posted October 18, 2017 The Manics were from south Wales, a Cav might have been truly aspirational to them.Consider as well that an equivalent rep car now is probably a 520D, and that makes the Cav a bit more than you think too. Are they keeping quiet on that for a reason or are they just taking their sweet time showing it? At the end of this video (5:13) he says he's keeping it quiet for a while, so he can be anonymous for a bit. That was in June. Doctormop 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now