HMC- XK8 Vs EV face off

HMC

2 hours ago, HMC said:

I did a second take at this…..

IMG_6393.jpeg.cd89f17e708ff6be5184f1a2d383cdf1.jpeg

Facelift 406 coop? Was that ever sold in the UK? 

53 minutes ago, mk2_craig said:

Facelift 406 coop? Was that ever sold in the UK? 

God, I hope not!  Wouldn't want to bump into something that ugly on a dark night.  Shame, too, given that the original was a real looker.  

On 31/05/2024 at 16:34, danthecapriman said:

Here’s my old one.

IMG_0583.jpeg.4b5272042ec4381e144dc2526ead9500.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg.c355e1861f7ceb5826c156485d5cd77d.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg.5e4fd2e8ab642f9ad26fb46eaa72f440.jpeg

186k miles or so it had done! I did loads to it after saving it from a local banger racer. Part of the deal was for a replacement windscreen as the one fitted was cracked. Removing the old one brought both rotten lower screen/scuttle corners away with it! Ended up chasing rust all the way down both A posts and into the front floors! 
It should probably have been cubed really but I spent months chopping it all out and making new sections then welded them in. Original wing fell apart at the bottom too so I got a new one. Front edge of the bonnet rusted away so I got a good used one and rattle canned them.

I absolutely loved that car! Not an easy decision to sell it tbh but the Capri was in more need of the time and money. I’d have another in a heartbeat.

Your Granada  still lives! Now safely indoors chez Skizzer. It needs an engine rebuild though after a water pump failure or some such. I bought it back off Junkman after it broke.

IMG_7160.jpeg.6549cab945f79e60e2bed8e67fc0eede.jpeg

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

Your Granada  still lives! Now safely indoors chez Skizzer. It needs an engine rebuild though after a water pump failure or some such. I bought it back off Junkman after it broke.

IMG_7160.jpeg.6549cab945f79e60e2bed8e67fc0eede.jpeg

Glad to see you’ve still got the old girl!

Hows it holding up body-wise?

7 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Glad to see you’ve still got the old girl!

Hows it holding up body-wise?

Pretty well - there’s some surface rust around the tailgate lock and boot floor edge, but it’s still very solid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Pretty well - there’s some surface rust around the tailgate lock and boot floor edge, but it’s still very solid. 

It looks good still in your pic. Good (and surprising!) to see my rattle can painted bonnet still looks alright too!😆

Maybe my painting skills aren’t so bad!

So the mitsubishi, apart from the broken a/c, was brilliant 7 person transport on the french trip and was excellent at stowing french wine for the return leg.

Whether profiled by the choice of car, or by the booking placed by someone with a Russian passport, or random, but the outgoing customs inspection was quite thorough. This included being asked if explosives or a bomb was present (!) my hesitation in answering (sort of digesting the question) was noted 

IMG_6470.jpeg.8930096b79938c2acf96bb9c706c31e8.jpeg

Anyway it seems to be doing about 34mpg with the laid back driving style which this seems to encourage, which i recon is pretty good for what it is.

• HMC changed the title to HMC- Shogun under customs spotlight
On 02/06/2024 at 09:37, Shep Shepherd said:

I've never seen that film, partly because of the destruction of the Granada and the P6 (two cars which I greatly admire), and partly because it sounds a bit rubbish...

It’s a good film

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Tenmil Socket said:

It’s a good film

Only one way to find out... 

Been using the Granada as a daily. 

IMG_6452.jpeg.8b83ef19d86ede99671ab1f59f90b4d2.jpeg

The starter was a bit lazy but cleaning up the earth has sorted that.

I took it for a day I do teaching at the University in Exeter, which felt a bit brave as that would be an 80 mile round trip with a time deadline including some stop start city bits in a largely untested car…

IMG_6482.jpeg.ea6adcc11750c44aa7d5daa8090192a3.jpeg

But it was absolutely perfect and never gave me any cause for concern.

IMG_6494.jpeg.1f3ac8243a4efee272c8b9d770667bd0.jpeg

I havent checked the economy but a slushy 3 speed auto and a carbed v6 would probably not be breaking any records.

It is lovely to drive, quite relaxing and undemanding. Should be at shitefest assuming boredom doesnt set in in the meanwhile 😂

IMG_6477.jpeg.7158dddb34e43b933f0100d0471cf8ec.jpeg

An old relic…. And a viaduct.

Still a bloody good looking car too. Very stylish! 
These are exactly what a big saloon car should look like.

3 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Still a bloody good looking car too. Very stylish! 
These are exactly what a big saloon car should look like.

IMG_6492.jpeg.61239a7c6caa6e52bacaf86e39b9b504.jpeg

IMG_6487.jpeg.7e278829f9e48ecbe2463923ffe448ce.jpeg

Totally. I had a good look at the styling the other day. Simple lines and good proportions. In a way it needs a confident hand to do yet avoid it being bland. But it works IMO.

• HMC changed the title to HMC- Smoking about in the Granada

Going from a Roller to a scruffy Granada ....hmmm someone has done this already 

image.png.113e6682da011531478551cca03112d1.png

image.png.b8e3d0f5e12b20152b7c0c95d3f46874.png

The world is your lobster .... You need to go XJ40 next

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Going from a Roller to a scruffy Granada ....hmmm someone has done this already 

image.png.113e6682da011531478551cca03112d1.png

image.png.b8e3d0f5e12b20152b7c0c95d3f46874.png

The world is your lobster .... You need to go XJ40 next

My Mk2 Capri Was XPF 816S😮

Also- should it have front overriders? In the MOT history somewhere IIRC theres an advisory for bumpers not being fitted- so these may not be original to the car.

Definitely should have over riders fitted, and they should have headlight washer jets in them too.

You had a play around with the computer thingy in it yet? Mine used to make a god awful ear piercing sound when the fuel level got low! Used to scare the living crap out of you when driving along then all of a sudden that thing went off! I think you can set it to alarm if going over certain speeds too.

• Like 2

I'll just leave this here , the first time I watched this I nearly missed myself at the Jason King pisstake ....the Capri is perfectly knackered ..W

Looking great indeed. I agree that the proportions of the Mk2 Granada are spot on, they look incredibly low and wide from the back, probably giving it more road presence than you'd expect from a car that isn't particularly big nowadays.

How do these compare to the Mk3/Scorpio when it comes to comfort and that "big car feel"? Was there a noticeable jump in refinement or maybe sportiness that would move the needle one way or another? Talking about the closest you could get to a US landyacht in the UK market, I actually felt this way about my Senator B. I'm really curious how close the Granada would get to that.

Years ago Max Power did a article where the guys bought £1000 snotters , one bought a white mk2 Granada sport , it wasn't a minter .....God knows what it would be worth now

To be fair the one place the Granada loses points vs the royale is the interior ....

Red 

image.png.85c96ada55443582e83f31a6cbe3dc41.png

Gold

image.png.91aff06e3c567634be40b3564cd48f01.png

Blue 

image.png.3150d57003ad31f4b9cc550cbdbcb7f9.png

They even did green ....

22 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Years ago Max Power did a article where the guys bought £1000 snotters , one bought a white mk2 Granada sport , it wasn't a minter .....God knows what it would be worth now

I thinkI remember that- didnt someone also get a silvia turbo and an xjs v12?

The royale has the greatest interor ever. The seats are like something you would park your arse in in a 70's soho club.

I like granadas because of their mechanical simplicity but special feeling - back in the day they were easy to work on and the parts inexpensive - people who bought used SD1's back in the day soon realised why they were so cheap.

Is this a keeper? Or do you have your eye on a replacement?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bren said:

Have you ever met HMC or read his thread :)

I'm betting that sometime soon, another piece of glorious chod will catch his eye :)

34 minutes ago, HMC said:

It was Revs magazine. White XR4i, green Granada Sport, reddy brown Silvia and similar colour XJS V12. 

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Yep that's the one

1 hour ago, Bren said:

The royale has the greatest interor ever. The seats are like something you would park your arse in in a 70's soho club.

I like granadas because of their mechanical simplicity but special feeling - back in the day they were easy to work on and the parts inexpensive - people who bought used SD1's back in the day soon realised why they were so cheap.

I bet Paul Raymond had similar sofas in his penthouse .....

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I bet Paul Raymond had similar sofas in his penthouse .....

Oddly I was thinking of the revue bar when I saw the royale....