HMC- XK8 Vs EV face off

HMC

I've still never had a Mk2 with scratchy tweedy seats. Sigh.

FTFY.

They're nothing special. The higher-spec seats you've had are significantly more comfortable, certainly on my arse anyway.

I do wish Citroen had spent a little more time styling the BX Break, as using saloon/hatchback rear doors on an estate never ever works. It just looks like a BX hatchback with a large wart on it's arse. The very obvious falling roofline of the hatchback evident in the doorframes, with a rising roofline for the estate.

I still love it though. BX Breaks are so much more useful than the Hatchback.

• Like 2

No pas. It was an option on the 92 16TGS but no tick.

Formerly owned by a retired naval commander who also had a birotor at the same time.

Well, if he had a birotor this came from a proper citroen pervert. Good purchase and hope it keeps all its green stuff on the inside for you.

FTFY.

They're nothing special. The higher-spec seats you've had are significantly more comfortable, certainly on my arse anyway.

Cant agree there David, the early mk2 tweed seats as in our 19TRS are perfect for just being cossetted in whilst whizzing cross country.

• Like 1

Well, if he had a birotor this came from a proper citroen pervert. Good purchase and hope it keeps all its green stuff on the inside for you.

Alas seem to have a leak offside front dribbling off the leading edge of the front subframe just inboard from the suspension mounts. Any guesses before I have a proper look?

Alas seem to have a leak offside front dribbling off the leading edge of the front subframe just inboard from the suspension mounts. Any guesses before I have a proper look?

My best guess would be a front strut return, should be easily visible as strapped to bottom of front strut with 2 hoses going inboard near subframe wishbone mounting area. If its only a dribble it will definitely be a return line seep rather than anything worse.

Looks awesome.

Bloke on the FCF is getting rid of all his BX's and spares, just in case it needs anything.

https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60785

Happy to collect and post, or bring em down next time we meet if you need anything.

He's selling a mk1 estate!!! *runs off to join fcf*
  • Like 3

That's the most complex area for the return system, where the Octopus lives (on top of the offside of the front subframe). Octopussess were NLA for a while from Citroen, but Rob Moss of Chevronics has commissioned a company to re-manufacture them. No idea on the cost, and it's a fiddly dirty job to change them, but not that hard.

You may be lucky and it be just a split in one end of a pipe which can be cut 1/2" shorter and re-connected, or the Octopus could be rotten. Hard to say without having a good look at it.

He's selling a mk1 estate!!! *runs off to join fcf*

Already enquired about it, but no response so far.

• Like 1

So this BX arrived with an LHM leak. Having a quick look confirmed a constant drip drip from what looks like the front height corrector nestled on top of the offside front subframe.....

post-4673-0-45942900-1537014208_thumb.jpeg

post-4673-0-57182200-1537014225_thumb.jpeg

All I’ve done is loosen the repair, shove it on further and tighten. It currently no longer leaks. Citroen bods- what’s the pipe that leaking and presumably proper repair entails renewing the whole Length of pipe and whatever it attaches to?

In the realm of automotive cockroaches I’ve tidied up the wheels and splashed out on new rubber. The old ones had plenty of tread but were dated 2001. Wet weather handling tests at my own private MIRA showed they were shit; a set of nexen 155/70 r13s (£39 a corner) has made it much more confidence inspiring

Before- stickered and lethal

post-4673-0-39491700-1537014667_thumb.jpeg

During-

post-4673-0-68600500-1537019490_thumb.jpeg

During- frame from an attempted Lego stop motion short film to entertain the kids (plus self)

post-4673-0-95449300-1537019610_thumb.jpeg

After- no BAFTA, but less stickers and more grip

post-4673-0-79866300-1537014683_thumb.jpeg

The pipe that’s leaking is part of the ‘oil back harness’ or ‘octopus’ the easiest is to leave as is for now if not leaking, the pipe is part of a group of moulded together return hoses, hence the name octopus. You could easily chop it shorter, put in a new bit of pipe (lhm resistant of course) and connect it with a plastic or metal connector.

FTFY.

I do wish Citroen had spent a little more time styling the BX Break, as using saloon/hatchback rear doors on an estate never ever works. It just looks like a BX hatchback with a large wart on it's arse. The very obvious falling roofline of the hatchback evident in the doorframes, with a rising roofline for the estate.

I still love it though. BX Breaks are so much more useful than the Hatchback.

Can’t agree on the styling- the estates look flipping ace.

Much, much love for this. If I don’t happen to be browsing the forum on the particular millisecond that you post this up for sale for £200 I’m going to be very upset.

Excellent...you have the correct tail pipe fitted. The last half dozen BXs I've seen in person lacked the little twist at the end and it just looked wrong... really bugged my OCD!

That looks like a cracking motor you've got there.

• Like 2

Can’t agree on the styling- the estates look flipping ace.

I'm obviously biased, but I agree.

post-5223-0-84070300-1537043543_thumb.jpg

Sort of anyway - I like the looks, but in an odd kind of way...

• Like 4

Possible sale or swap- Citroen BX. Not dead set on a sale but thought I’d see what interest and take it from there. It’s so nice I Darent let the kids near it and as it’s so nice and straight to be honest it deserves better. Any interested parties? I wouldn’t mind a swap or straight sale- try me. Effectively it owes me a bit more but I’d be ok with £1000 or some sort of swap deal. I would prefer the buyer to do the legwork as I’m never free for long, and obviously you can factor in your time and fuel etc if your bringing a car down as part of the deal.

The BX 16TGS estate in more detail- 1.6 petrol, no pas ( 165 section tyres so not a hardship really) central locking, stereo etc. It’s in superb condition inside and out although being picky the painted surrounds to the doors have faded a bit, and there’s a repaired bit of tubing for the front suspension as noted above- but no leaks. The paint and bodywork is excellent, I’ve found no previous welding or rust and is a real time warp. 50k from new. Lots of bills such as £1200 a few years back for a refresh of the suspension system. shows as having been stolen recovered but there is a massive history file with the car that explains via correspondence about a bouncing cheque and cross words in 2012 when it was sold which had police envolvement but was resolved to everyone’s satisfaction. Makes an interesting read! Original book packs, original concessionaires plates as it was either a press vehicle or more likely a company car from most of 1992 at the slough HQ

Any more info or pics let me know.post-4673-0-99157700-1537392633_thumb.jpegpost-4673-0-53072200-1537392656_thumb.jpegpost-4673-0-87620900-1537392673_thumb.jpegpost-4673-0-34169300-1537393546_thumb.pngpost-4673-0-07400700-1537393557_thumb.pngpost-4673-0-27160800-1537393569_thumb.pngpost-4673-0-00290700-1537393755_thumb.pngpost-4673-0-65052500-1537393767_thumb.pngpost-4673-0-21656100-1537393779_thumb.png

...If I didn't already have the Activa I'd be all over that.  Especially if I didn't already need rid of the Lada too.

I've a massive want for a BX, though I fear I'd not have the time these days for the associated care and feeding.

To be fair, I expected the same of the Activa to some extent...

If if were an early one with the amusement arcade dash, I'd probably have caused a major family incident and gone "mine!" already...never even sat in an early one yet...been in a CX and GSA (which I nearly bought) so know I'll like it though.

I’ll have a word with the old man . Must be due another purchase from you by now !

Sadly the Octavia went on a one way trip yesterday . Provided sterling service as a loaner and I only needed to put an 18 quid throttle body on it . Got 30 less than I paid for it back in scrap too. Cheap motoring