Ebay tat

GrumpyCat

Where are all thes Accords coming from??There was a really nice B-reg saloon on the Bay a couple of weeks ago down in Cornwall which was fully loaded with leccy everything, PAS and even aircon.My guess is that now's the time to buy low mileage 80s stuff from their original owners. They bought a new car 20 years ago or more when they retired and now have given up driving or died so these cars are steadily filtering through.Sunbeam was damned expensive in that condition - definitely a drift candidate.

Was the Accord an 'EX-R'? Spottedlaurel of this parish has one and I believe it has a similar specification to the one you described, including cruise control.I reckon the Sunbeam is more likely to be a candidate for a rally re-shell. :(

Where are all thes Accords coming from??There was a really nice B-reg saloon on the Bay a couple of weeks ago down in Cornwall which was fully loaded with leccy everything, PAS and even aircon.My guess is that now's the time to buy low mileage 80s stuff from their original owners. They bought a new car 20 years ago or more when they retired and now have given up driving or died so these cars are steadily filtering through.......

Was the Accord an 'EX-R'? Spottedlaurel of this parish has one and I believe it has a similar specification to the one you described, including cruise control......
The 20-25 year low-miler with original/long-time owners (I’ll allow plus one or two in the early days of the car’s life if necessary) is my favourite market to buy from. Except in unusual cases, if someone buys a car in their early 60’s and keeps it then it’ll be 85-90 when it needs a new home. For me, that’s now the perfect era of capable but overlooked mid-1980’s stuff I want to buy. The cars themselves are criminally cheap yet excellent for everyday use. The 323 and both of the Accords I’ve had fall into that category, and your B11 too Mash?The red Accord that you talk about was a beauty, it sold before the end of the listing. It may well have been an EX-R, ABS is probably the most significant difference and wheeltrims the big external clue. I’m sparing the Laurel hardtop this rubbish weather right now, but the Accord is still being regularly used and it got me to work today. It’s a fantastic car, I’ll be very disappointed f the house move means it has to go.

Those 133's are cool in a shitey noisy tinny way, that one was on eBay a couple of months ago, made about 450 as I recall. Amazingly another creamy-coloured one (in better nick) came on shortly after for about £600.ebay is so widespread now that i reckon you could quite accurately predict the numbers remaining of a certain type of car, by calculating based on the frequency with which that type of car appears on there.

I'm really starting to get tempted by an Accord...The Sunny is a great everyday car, and as SL says, 80s Japmobiles are the dogs for commuting if you want something a bit different. TBH I paid a bit too much for mine but we all make mistakes. At present I'd only replace it if something a lot better came my way, and I admit I did bid on a 1986 Mazda 323 the other week which was minty mint, and a Codgermatic too. Got outbid but I only spotted it last minute and I wasn't too keen on spending a lot unseen.For me, early to mid 80s is as far back as I'll go for a daily driver. They have most of the attributes of a modern car (good heater, reliable, capable on a motorway) but nice and simple still.Rust is the issue with the Nissan and I think next time a Mazda or Honda will be easier to keep on top of.

I would say that early-mid 80s Hondas and Mazdas CAN be as rusty as Nissans of the era, it just depends on how well looked after it was by previous owners.My '87 323 was absolutely rust free. I mean, everywhere - I couldn't even find surface rust in the engine bay, under the doors or anywhere where you'd expect it to fester unseen. Dents all over it though.I had an '84 Prelude back in 1999-2000 and that was bubbling up a bit round the sunroof and rear arches, I seem to recall it needed the 'chassis' leg on the nearside front welding for the MOT once too. The Accord/Prelude of this era is a nice drive, save the overlight PAS.I had an '89 Bluebird before the Prelude and that had no rust at all, but it was only 9 years old at the time.

Those early Accords were prone to rot, I used to work in a Honda bodyshop (86-91) and even in 86 we were welding up foorpans and doing massive amounts of repairs to the arches and valances on the 79-83 ish model. That beige one on ebay looks amazingly clean, I would be very surprised if that was totally original paintwork.

I agree, 80s ex-biddy Japanese cars do indeed make great commuters, provided you keep an eye on any rust issues. Since I need new tyres on the Mira I've been using the Charmant as my daily driver with ease. Makes journeys more interesting, too, as I can drive around pretending I am a junior executive circa 1983 rather than a bottom-of-the-pile salaryman circa 2007.I suspect the Galant will need a bit more work to bring it up to "enjoyable daily driver" standard, though. The vague steering, leaky gearbox and occasional stalling from cold means I have a bit of tweaking to do yet. The minor rust issues will need knocking on the head before they get any worse too. Pimpin' aint easy, etc.

I think the second of the FWD 323's (84-88 ish) must be the least rust prone car I know of. Even really neglected ones seem to remain remarkably solid. Both the hatch and saloon versions we've owned weren't exactly well cared for but both refused to rust. Pretty amazing for a car of the age.

Bstardchild and Bodie&Doyle were regaling with us with tales of woe about 90's on BMW's at last week's R-R 'meat'. I'm sure the levels of what seemed to be pointless technology will have filtered down to other cars since then, which made me wonder if simpler cars up to that period of time might actually become more sought-after.B&D could foresee that BM's wouldn't get beyond seven years old as that's typically when they fall out of the official dealer servicing, and the independents wouldn't be able to deal with the techno-nonsense.Where does that leave the person who can't/won't buy a new car and pay main dealer rates? Current scrap-frenzy means a lot of stuff id disappearing far quicker than it really ought to. Doesn't seem very sustainable to me...Think I'll stockpile my mid-80's low milers while I can!

Someone get the 'ORIGINAL MK3 CORTINA ORIGINAL OWNERS ORIGINAL CLUB' on these boys' case! its gonna be WAR!!!!!

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Breaking-K-Reg-1971-Ford-Cortina-Mk3-GXL_W0QQitemZ330196909897

We've Just Sold The Above Car To A Gentleman Who Will Be Extensively Modifying It For Use In Drag Racing & As Such He Has Asked Us To Sell Some Of The Parts Off It On His Behalf

Ooooffff!

What a tit. the GXL is the mosts sought after and therefor most expensive MK3 to buy... surely a late, low spec square dash one would have been a better option to turn into a drag racer???could have got one of those for 500 quid.. a GXL is about £3k plus these days. Waste of money and a nice car!

That Volvo 262c gets punted on every year..

THIS CAR MUST BE KEEPT IN IT'S ONE PER CENT CONDISHTION ALL THE TIME IF ANY ONE BUY'S THIS CAR.THIS CAR IS A SHOW PEACE.

Now i know it's not txt spak, but havent these people heard of spellcheck..

THIS CAR MUST BE KEEPT IN IT'S ONE PER CENT CONDISHTION ALL THE TIME IF ANY ONE BUY'S THIS CAR.THIS CAR IS A SHOW PEACE.

Watch it! Or self-appointed whinger 'king' Arthur-Walker will be along to give you a roasting about berating eBay sellers who clearly have 200g of baked beans in place of the usual cerebral matter.

Guest greenvanman

THIS CAR MUST BE KEEPT IN IT'S ONE PER CENT CONDISHTION ALL THE TIME IF ANY ONE BUY'S THIS CAR.

THIS CAR IS A SHOW PEACE.

He did, but a few seconds after he clicked the spell check icon this happened...

Posted Image

Guest greenvanman

Hey GVM, Selina is loving the van from what i hear.. Took her about 3 weeks, to pluck up the courage to drive it though! :D

Glad she likes it, hopefully she'll have as much fun with the old bus as we did!

I'm rather taken with this too...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting

Posted Image

Is it RWD? Shame it’s not a 3dr. Add banded steels and slam it FTW.

Oh, wrong site. Lovely isn’t it? Facelift one so I think it’ll have electronic ignition. Still got the chain-drive engine, and it’ll be barely run in at that mileage. Things like that aren’t going to be cropping up in five years, wish I could buy them all now.

It mystifies me as to why some versions of the 5dr 323/Familia/Laser range got a window in the C-pillar and some got a vent like ours.

Posted Image

Check out the front indicator positions too, maybe its a facelift version?

Oddly, both are facelift versions. Same rear lights on them I think. I scanned the JDM one from the brochure that also contained this one:

Posted Image

Just one of those crazy things we’ll never understand. The Laurel hardtop has a different side repeater position to the UK car, yet the wings seem to be similar.