Automobiles Erad (SECMA) - French microcar manufacturer - update 2020 + 2024

egg

I don't think there has been a thread on these cars before, and my interest was piqued years ago in the early 90's when Car magazine reviewed one of their models - as a teenager myself - they were interesting because they made 'sans permis' cars for 14 year olds.

Also, the cars were made in Aniche - which is the town where my French grandmother was born deep in the 'rust belt' of Northern France (where many of my ancestors were involved in coal/railways etc).

They started with a single seater in the 1970s

72467004img-9140-jpg.jpg?fx=r_550_550

Things improved somewhat with the junior with 205 headlights

post-20084-0-64135700-1496516350_thumb.jpg

Which could be had topless..

wk4488d.jpg

By the 90's they had 'moved on' to the Spacia, which I believe was the model that Car reviewed. We are talking a 505cc dizzle here! (Single wiper action)

zoom_erad-spacia-2536-1.jpg

The pièce de résistance has to be their MG replica though. Only 24 where made, and I'd love one! Nice short video about it here:

Howmanyleft doesn't declare that any of these Erads reached our shores. So does anyone know any more about them? Wiki tells me they were taken over by Savel 1997, and production ceased in 2002.

Just had a look through the photos I've taken of microcars when on my French holidays, it appears I have none by Erad.That one in the second photo looks quite a neat design.

I'm finding that they aren't so easy to see nowadays. Have the rules changed, or have they just become increasingly unpopular/unnecessary?

On any I do see it's always fun to work out what the head and tail lights have come from.

There's a hard core of elderly folk around here who run Aixams. I understand that, for nipping to the shops, they're economical, but surely they're hoplessly outclassed by literally any other car in every other respect?

• Like 3

There's a hard core of elderly folk around here who run Aixams. I understand that, for nipping to the shops, they're economical, but surely they're hoplessly out$hited by literally any other car in every other respect?

Nahhh... ;)

TS

• Like 2

I think it tells us something that there is not a single French microcar owned by someone on this forum?

I've had two Ligier Ambras if that counts?

The diesel versions really are hopelessly underpowered on the open road though.  Earlier today when I was taking Beko's Laguna estate for a drive down the B1192 there was one coming the other way, driven by a giffer and with a long queue of frustrated traffic behind it, including an artic tanker which pulled off a slightly dodgy overtaking manoeuvre to get past.  They're a liability over here - slightly less so in France because the roads are less congested and other drivers are more used to them.  The petrol ones are better - my petrol Ambra would do 60 (eventually).

• Like 3

Mrs_garethj is French and she says the old ones were fine because they looked really odd and you could tell it was probably a banned drunk driver at the wheel.

The newer ones look similar to a normal hatchback so one moment you spot it ahead of you on the road, then you're almost in the back of it. As Father Ted would say, it's small, not far away. And it's only doing about 20mph instead of the normal French speed of flat out.

• Like 2

I've always liked Sans Permis microcars but i didnt realise how shamelessly some now crib their styling. Aside from micro Minis & 500s is this mega shite micro Evoque.

post-18268-0-50976700-1496609934_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Aren't the diesels powered by a dumper truck engine?

According to Wikipedia, since 2013 in the UK you can drive some of those awful Axiam on an AM licence, as they're considered the same as a quad bike!

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

I notice with interest the phrase "design speed" - so if an Axiam was designed not to exceed 40km/h, but then it "somehow" found itself with a bike engine, or a turbo'ed kei car motor or something, does the AM licence bit still apply? You've not changed the design if it....

There's a hard core of elderly folk around here who run Aixams. I understand that, for nipping to the shops, they're economical, but surely they're hoplessly outclassed by literally any other car in every other respect?

When Reliant ceased production, many who were driving on a motorcycle licience changed to Axiam because they could still drive them without another test.

I think it tells us something that there is not a single French microcar owned by someone on this forum?

Oddly enough Ive been looking at these most of the evening on eBay - the idea of one for work use ( where I drive cross town several times a day and then have to dick about trying to find a parking space big enough for the car) makes sense to me.

55mph top speed of the "heavy" quadricycle is enough for in town.

Sadly 16000 Euro for the GT CrossLine Axiam with radio and spare wheel is stupid fooking expensive and I'd rather just buy a C1

• Like 1

You need to visit the bubble car museum. That would put you off.

Really, if you want tiny, French and wank, you need Twizzy.

post-17481-0-13776300-1496614505_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

My guilty secret. I've got some Erad history.

I driven most of the models pictured above. (not the single seater, or the MG TC thing).

Most of them were available in the 80's with a Petter AC1 diesel made by my employers. 360cc of throbbing power! (the truck got an LPA2 with 720cc).

Monsieur Renard who owned the company, was that rare thing a French Anglophile, (Think Serge Gainsbourg, always a Galloise on the go). 

The factory had a perimeter road and it became a badge of honour to set a lap time with the Erad. Especially when we realised that it would go as fast in reverse! 

You need to visit the bubble car museum. That would put you off.

Really, if you want tiny, French and wank, you need Twizzy.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

If the Twizzy had a pez engine ( something sensible like a 172cc Villiers) I'd be all over one like a rash from a night with a mucky whore.

• Like 1

Most of them were available in the 80's with a Petter AC1 diesel made by my employers. 360cc of throbbing power! (the truck got an LPA2 with 720cc).

Q. How the fuck would you get anywhere with 5hp?

A. Slowly and at the cost of profound deafness from the AC1's dulcet tones and white finger induced by the vibration. Excellent for cement mixers, dumpers and generators, fuck all use for anything else.

Q. How the fuck would you get anywhere with 5hp?

A. Slowly and at the cost of profound deafness from the AC1's dulcet tones and white finger induced by the vibration. Excellent for cement mixers, dumpers and generators, fuck all use for anything else.

You'd be surprised. 5hp is the continuous power rating. The automotive rating is nearer 8. They were fitted with a lightened flywheel and cvt transmission. 80 km/h was possible.

• Like 2