Autoshite Track Events

The Moog

Hopefully the right place to ask.

Has anyone got any experience of Public Driving Experiences at Spa in Belgium? Everyone parps on about the Nurburgring but anyone I know who actually knows about these things (including Junkman) reckons that Spa is infinitely better.

Looks like you can get 4x 30 minute sessions spread over a day for about £250, and its strictly limited to road cars and aimed at amateurs.

I'd need to do it over 3 days i reckon, drive there on day 1, track it on day 2 and home on day 3. I've driven on racetracks before as a race marshall but am by no means anything over than a total novice. Is that a bad place to start?

There doesn;t seem to be much in the way of grassroots motorsport round here. Goodwood is £350 for a full day (six 15 minute sessions) and Thruxton want £180 for 3x twenty minute sessions. Looks like I;d get more time on a bigger circuit for less dosh by going to the continent?

Mr Stank - if you really want to do this then I'll gladly put you up in Brussels for the to and fro route if it helps save you a bit...... Got a garage 10mins down the road fairly OK equipped too if anything should need reshaping or re-fixerating back on etc..... 

Glad to help if you need it.

Anyone else looking to do a beige run to Spa, Zandvoort or Nurburg.... happy to help - just give me a shout. Open doors pretty much.

John

That hill climb looks good I wouldn’t mind doing that that some point. I need to get the z4 up to knockhill too.

I had a look at the hill climbs round here but you need flame proof romper suits, competition licence and a Hans device for some.

It's the same here if you are competing but the trackdays are non competitive so you don't need the safety suit and race license. It's a good way to see if you will enjoy it before committing financially to the competition.

Looking at the results from past events, there is a very competitive group of mx5 drivers, I'd love to have a proper go but all of the events are on weekends which I mostly work :(

• 3 weeks later...

I just did my first trackday, took the Porsche 924s round Donington.

My racing line was decent but I'm poor at knowing when to brake and apply throttle when going through corners. Locked up and went deep into corners a couple of times and spun once at the chicane between the straights.

Also lots of other race cars there who were bloody quick!

I think I was lapping about 1:45-ish, not that fast but room for improvement with some practice.

A fun first go!

I'd like to try this one day. I go up to Knockhill regularly to watch but have never driven round. 

I don't really have a suitable car at the moment, need another MX5...

I've successfully swapped my shift but it still means a mad dash from central edinburgh to get there for the briefing. I'll maybe wait and see how the weather is before confirming a place, it's looking like it's not selling fast this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a good one, I'd love to come along and play but I'm working that weekend :(

post-4462-0-45754800-1536073013_thumb.png

I notice they have a 95db noise limit - is this strictly enforced ? When I did the croft mx5 day a few years back, they were very fussy about noise - every car was tested before it was let out and an average noise level for the whole day forced a couple of stoppages to let the level settle down.

At the time i was driving a 1.6 mx5 with tubular manifold, decat and standard back box - the same arrangement as you have on avo - which passed no problem. Another guy had the il motorsports back box and got sent home after his first lap :(

post-4462-0-10476300-1536073523_thumb.jpg

I notice they have a 95db noise limit - is this strictly enforced ? When I did the croft mx5 day a few years back, they were very fussy about noise - every car was tested before it was let out and an average noise level for the whole day forced a couple of stoppages to let the level settle down.

I dont think it is mega mega strict. I couldnt see anything being tested.  No stoppages at all except for the lunch break. 

From what I recall the guy said they will give you opportunity to fix it and pointed out where the measurement was so you could hold off the loud pedal going past. 

And yes tracked the puma a fair few times - it is a proper hoot.

Mine had braided hoses, upgraded front discs and pads to a fiesta 150, toyos all round and a front strut brace.  The strut brace is the single best thing you can do to improve the car - about £30 and 2 minutes to fit it. 

It certainly held its own - was quicker than the mx5 on the straight on knock hill but more rubbish in corners. Used to eat brake pads though! 

here it is in action at Knockhill

post-3994-0-90355300-1536075603_thumb.jpg

Bucketeer also managed to win awards in autotesting in it. I would say go for it if you want to.