Tickman's stuff. Ungrateful Insight.

Tickman

I've had my camper on the drive for three weeks now after if failed it's mot as it needs some welding. The weather has only allowed a couple of them to get done and yesterday I started on the f/n/s, the last bit. When I stripped it I thought "shit" this is very bad. Having seen what you've had to do and how you've done it I now think "piece of piss". You've cheered up my day. Thank you.

How easy is it to weld outside?

Apart from being reliant on the weather Gods not being annoyed the only real difference you should notice is you will likely use more gas, or have slightly worse welds, than if you were properly sheltered. You can always add a wind break to help. I did turn the gas up a bit while doing the driver's side as the wind started to pick up a little.

I've had my camper on the drive for three weeks now after if failed it's mot as it needs some welding. The weather has only allowed a couple of them to get done and yesterday I started on the f/n/s, the last bit. When I stripped it I thought "shit" this is very bad. Having seen what you've had to do and how you've done it I now think "piece of piss". You've cheered up my day. Thank you.

I'm glad my discomfort yesterday has provided inspiration to get yourself back out for your own misery of camper van welding.

I had a self imposed time limit and yesterday was the day, I am utterly broken today but it will hopefully get its ticket.

Good work.....And,maybe, a bit less effort than trying to cure the damp ingress on a 2013 tupperware van.   Happy camping!

• Like 2

I'm starting to get worried about mine needing weldibg for its MoT... it seems to have got much crustier over winter than if like....

Just WOW - that inner wing would've had me in tears.... fair play for slogging through, I'm ashamed to admit my welded repairs take 4 times as long at least and are horrid in comparison. I obviously need a camper to practice on!

As a rank amateur.... do you make templates first or knock it up/trim as you go?

I'm starting to get worried about mine needing weldibg for its MoT... it seems to have got much crustier over winter than if like....

Just don't go looking, I did that last summer with the roof and that was not fun.

As a rank amateur.... do you make templates first or knock it up/trim as you go?

I use CAD - cardboard aided design, cereal packets are ideal, then transfer to metal. Tweak, roll and hit with hammers until a close fit is achieved, then trim to an exact size. Bends can be done in a vice with lengths of angle iron and a hammer.

• Like 2

Just WOW - that inner wing would've had me in tears.... fair play for slogging through, I'm ashamed to admit my welded repairs take 4 times as long at least and are horrid in comparison. I obviously need a camper to practice on!

As a rank amateur I just knock it up and trim as I go. I have tried the make a template approach and I just don't have the skill necessary to get what I see in my head into metal so my patchwork quilt of an inner arch is what I will have to be happy with.

• Like 2

I use CAD - cardboard aided design, cereal packets are ideal, then transfer to metal. Tweak, roll and hit with hammers until a close fit is achieved, then trim to an exact size. Bends can be done in a vice with lengths of angle iron and a hammer.

A range of tubing helps too with scaffold pole and electrical conduit being some of the things I have rolled steel over to get a shape.

The MOT on the Alfa of many shitters runs out on the 21st of this month, it will not pass another without a massive amount of work which is not happening here so it will be off to China to start its next journey of discovery as something else.

Does anyone require any bits off it before it meets its demise?

This is it:

post-17457-0-20328800-1523294555_thumb.jpg

Five of these in various amounts of kerbing:

post-17457-0-90856400-1523294558_thumb.jpg

I am likely to take the easiest bits off and just weigh it in.

Before anyone starts saying save it a very quick list of stuff needed is:

Suspension, front knocks and back dampers are fucked.

Brakes, discs and pads all round at least.

Both CV joints have had fucked gaiters since before I got it, MOT history implies that they were going if not gone at last test.

Engine is great most of the time but goes into limp mode if you hit a large pot hole or equivalent.

Clutch is slipping.

Almost every panel is scratched, dented or rusty.

It has been a great workhorse and has only let me down when it ran out of electricity during the winter due to short runs and everything being switched on.

• Like 3

I'm sure SixCylinder will have that from you! Some good bits on that.

I think he's only got one 156 Estate.

• Like 3

Apart from being reliant on the weather Gods not being annoyed the only real difference you should notice is you will likely use more gas, or have slightly worse welds, than if you were properly sheltered. You can always add a wind break to help. I did turn the gas up a bit while doing the driver's side as the wind started to pick up a little.

Not a problem with Gasless Mig. All the welds are shite anyway.

I'm sure SixCylinder will have that from you! Some good bits on that.

I think he's only got one 156 Estate.

I think SixCylinder has much more sense.

Surprised it lasted this long - how many shiters have owned it?

sporty-shite

You 

Ken

Cavcraft

finally me. I don't think I have missed anyone.

• Like 3

Recently while 320Touring has been welding up the Oxford I have been attempting to make the chances of being electrocuted less of a possibility. Having stripped out all the old wires after realising that the only way anything was earthed was through the electrical conduit I finally have sockets down each side of the unit and the 4 LED strip lights all wired into the consumer unit.

The mini that has been staying has someone interested coming on Sunday, it is the other side of the Land Rover in the far corner in this picture.

post-17457-0-35084400-1523365167_thumb.jpg

After playing a game of giant sliding puzzle the picture now looks like this.

post-17457-0-73894800-1523365176_thumb.jpg

There was no electric in the mini so it got a little help.

post-17457-0-71742300-1523365172_thumb.jpg

There was also no fuel coming through to the engine but I eventually got it to fire and run with some penetrating oil down the throat of the carb. Not too bad considering it has been sat for a few years.

post-17457-0-59765200-1523365174_thumb.jpg

I could deliver

I love the idea, but still not economical even if I used it for spares.

I would like both driver side doors, front wing, head light and the internal fuse box cover, but the car drives lovely as it is.

post-4787-0-04623700-1523450537_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-87295300-1523450548_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-93301800-1523450558_thumb.jpg

That will work out excellently. 

6C gets a new silver 2.4 wagon

then sells his current silver 2.5 wagon to me

Hands off my 7,000 rpm fun machine that carries a load!

post-4787-0-80249100-1523450958_thumb.jpg

The MOT on the Alfa of many shitters runs out on the 21st of this month, it will not pass another without a massive amount of work which is not happening here so it will be off to China to start its next journey of discovery as something else.

Does anyone require any bits off it before it meets its demise?

I think Outlaw118 still has his one, might be worth popping him a pm

The MOT on the Alfa of many shitters runs out on the 21st of this month

Why not just run a quick £1 each roffle

Last chance saloon estate

• Like 3

I love the idea, but still not economical even if I used it for spares.

I would like both driver side doors, front wing, head light and the internal fuse box cover, but the car drives lovely as it is.

I have had a look at the panels and apart from the dent on your drivers door yours are in better condition than the ones on this car. The headlight has what can be best described as peeling skin after sunburn, I don't know if there is/was a coating on it but it is leaving of its own accord. Finally my fuse box cover is also missing, it was in the boot of the car when it arrived but looks like it was fitted with a screw through the panel.

Not very helpful really, Sorry!

Why not just run a quick £1 each roffle

Last chance saloon estate

The phrase One man's rubbish is another man's treasure  does not apply to this. It is at end of life.

In a shock turn of events Cartakeback have offered three times what I was expecting so it shall be going there next week.

I did a few hours on Sonic today. I concentrated on the passengers wing.

First slice back to good metal.

post-17457-0-14634900-1523469581_thumb.jpg

A large hole.

post-17457-0-59604400-1523469584_thumb.jpg

I took a while with a larger piece but cut it down to make it more manageable.

post-17457-0-00151800-1523469588_thumb.jpg

Stays in by itself.

post-17457-0-00464600-1523469591_thumb.jpg

Tacked in.

post-17457-0-63794300-1523469593_thumb.jpg

Fully welded and the next piece too.

post-17457-0-17670800-1523469596_thumb.jpg

A couple more pieces in.

post-17457-0-72305800-1523469598_thumb.jpg

All the gaps filled.

post-17457-0-50018000-1523469601_thumb.jpg

The best* photo in the world of the finished* article.

post-17457-0-16601400-1523469604_thumb.jpg

It is not the best job in the world but hopefully some filler and sanding back will make it look reasonable. 

It's the first time I have done anything like this so I am reasonably happy with it. It is much better than it was.