Building cars live

DVee8

I'm very excited about this glimpse inside the world of manufacturing the modern 21st century automobile and I'm going to watch this all the way through and then feel immensely proud and nostalgic about my first car which was a Mini then tomorrow I'm gonna buy a brand new Mini on finance ITS JUST A MASSIVE FUCKING ADVERT FOR MINIS

I can't wait till Kate Humble has 8000 tonnes of press topple over on her, and crush that "I'm smiling but not listening to you" look off her face.

Look if she is bothering you I will find a home for her.... Old out yer and.....

I only saw the last 15 minutes, Was there an extension lead going to that 106 when she was looking at the cars on charge? I'm pretty sure there was

Yes there was.

I thought the electric vehicle piece was a bit shit.

Full disclosure though, I really can't stand Kate Humble. She's just generic presenter material with no real enthusiasm for anything apart from her generic presenter pay check.

• Like 6

James is good, Kate is nice, Ant is a right twat, binis are crap ! so no viewing for me.

Hmmm. I thought James was occasionally amusing, but mostly hopeless, Kate was just shit. As she always is. And Ant I thought came across quite well and looked the most comfortable throughout, even when doing TEH REVERSE OF DEATH. 

The history bit pissed me off. How did they end up letting a German bloke sound like he single-handedly designed the new MINI? Why didn't they mention that it was British folk at Rover that designed it?

• Like 4

That bit pissed me off too. Especially as I was willing to give it every chance just after I'd read "this feels like a paid advert for BMW".

I didn't catch the very beginning, but I'm gonna take a punt that the car who they "know the destination of the owner" is being donated to Children in Need or something via Chris Evans...

Top Gear was Kate's big break I think. Wasn't she originally a researcher on Old Old Top Gear, and then fill in for someone to do a piece?

I only saw the last 15 minutes, Was there an extension lead going to that 106 when she was looking at the cars on charge? I'm pretty sure there was

Peugeot did make a 106 Electrique and a Partner van. I nearly bought the van version with a missing motor. The owner sent it away to be rebuilt and there were some issues with the company going bust or something. I hoped I could get some info out of the seller that could lead me to tracking the thing down but I couldn't get enough out of them.

Just been watching it on iPlayer. I confess, I'm utterly fascinated by the car manufacturing process - especially the logistics and choreography. And people moan that "Britain doesn't make anything anymore", so it's no bad thing to show that we do - and the car industry be it Bini, Nissan, Honda, Toyota or JLR is something we can be pretty proud of in terms of world-leading quality, exports and jobs.

And on here we always moan that the drivers of financed-up Binis and Cashcows never so much as look under the bonnet, so it's no bad thing to show them what's underneath.

Sounds like I missed nowt then. Kate Humble-bot as has already been said is just a generic tv presenter, shove an auto cue in front, and press go. And the Bini, a German car made from Chinese steel, given a mahoosive advert on the BBC, a so called non biased, non advertising TV network.

FFS. How are you meant to do a programme about the interesting world of making cars without promoting the cars themselves? They also went to Nissan, Morgan and McLaren. Wonder if they'll visit JLR tomorrow? Really, they just confirmed that BIGIs are bloody ugly. Quite like the rear styling of the new Clubman though...

• Like 3

was turning over to something else and caught the bit where james was putting the b pillar in one - with the gadge gettting the part walking between them all :lol: )

turned it over after about 90 seconds

which is daft cos i watch how its made all the time - far more interesting

The script was a bit rubbish, it seemed like they put a lot of <vamp here> notes in order for timing to be tweaked on the fly. I don't know why they did it live but it suffered as a result. I normally really enjoy James' programs, I think they're all very well done and that he is a great presenter but this was a disappointment by comparison. For the people banging on about it just being an advert for BMW Mini you have to remember that no television program is made to keep one forum happy, they have to give it wider appeal. I ask you this question: what would have more appeal to more people; a white good Nissan Micra or a car that stems from something that almost everyone loves & recognises and that has some genuine enthusiasm amongst it's owner-base? I bet far more BINI owners would say that they loved their car than anything comparable that Nissan makes. The BINI factory was a glaringly obvious choice and it's not like anyone with a license doesn't know that the BINI exists so it's hardly in-your-face marketing for the company; BMC, BL and Rover made the brand popular many decades ago so BMW don't need to do it. Scratch that, popular culture and famous owners made it absurdly popular decades ago, BMC, BL and Rover didn't even need to do it either.

As for the one they are following I reckon it'll be a giveaway prize, might get people watching and wouldn't be a bad outcome for the company.

The history bit pissed me off. How did they end up letting a German bloke sound like he single-handedly designed the new MINI? Why didn't they mention that it was British folk at Rover that designed it?

Exactly what I thought.

Kate Humble was a Top Gear presenter long before her Springwatch days.  I always thought she was really good on it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MJFesHH0UA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfu5K2RsQqU

How many people know that Julia Bradbury was also a Top Gear presenter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roaq5YCMJsk