Epic Morris Wedge restoration.

rovamota

There won't be any pics of the complete car before the show, only pics of restoration work. And maybe a teaser shot.And we didn't do the welding; we outsourced that to an expert.

• Like 1

We realise that not much originality is left, but then this is the oldest surviving Morris 1800 so that's a good enough reason to get it back on the road.

Who cares? This is probably one of the best threads of ever already and looking forward to reading/seeing more.

Awesome! So... the Club 100 that looked decidedly miserable - did anything become of that? I saw the one at the NEC, but a project had emerged around the same time. Seeing this brought back makes me hopeful that it stood or stands a chance too!

As you can see, the A pillars were in a terrible state and it was the repair that caused us the most concern. The only way we would be able to fix it properly was to get the skins from a donor car and, as luck would have it, we were told about a banger racer who had finished with his racing wedge and said we could take what we wanted from it. Thing is, it was in Manchester and we are in Southampton, so we hired a van and as it turned out, we were able to go to Leeds on the same trip and collect all those doors and bootlids as well.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the A pillar repairs.

IMG_9701_800_zpsrdbk3dgp.jpg

IMG_9735_800%201_zpsejuxz2cm.jpg

IMG_9738_800%201_zpsucr6ziur.jpg

IMG_9739_800_zpsf3ajck5d.jpg

And it was the same both sides, but Dave the welder did an epic job here.

Once the welding was completed we then turned our attention to the engine. It was a non-runner when we got it but we eventually managed to get it running after a new set of plugs, leads and fresh fuel but it smoked like hell so we knew it would have to come out.

Once out we broke it down.

IMG_9913_800_zpsbv1lolwi.jpg

Engine%2011_zpsgosfkgbk.jpg

Engine%2010_zpsbbndpdpy.jpg

So it was new bearings, piston rings, seals, gaskets, you name it. And, of course, a new clutch assembly.The a coat of paint.

IMG_9923_800_zps2dmqxqfv.jpg

20150510_121719_zpsulnowwqz.jpg

Whilst the engine was out we got on with restoring the engine bay.

IMG_9863_800_zpsxyi5bmyl.jpg

IMG_9864_800_zpspq5rrvqw.jpg

IMG_9866_800_zps8wnsa69v.jpg

Then, after the engine bay had a new coat of Flamenco red we could refit the newly reconditioned engine.

IMG_0044_800_zps38i652tw.jpg

IMG_0048_800_zpszbhqwjrv.jpg

Refit the cylinder head.

Engine%209_zpsxe92rtpj.jpg

IMG_0077_600_zps9vvqmxd6.jpg

Refit the manifold, carb and new exhaust.

IMG_0138_800_zpsyyrlrkps.jpg

Then a new brake servo, master cylinder and complete new braking system, including new calipers and skimmed discs.

IMG_0154_800_zpsxwd3wvwu.jpg

Brand new steering rack, too.

Brake%201_zpslcagiykt.jpg

Now we have fitted a new petrol tank and fuel lines it now starts and stops as good as new. The tappets rattle a bit but we'll adjust them once it's been used a bit more.

And here's a pic of the front end being painted. We are painting it ourselves to help keep costs down, but now it seems that's pretty academic considering the amount of money that's been thrown at this car. 

Front%20painted_zpsaliw9ddm.jpg

I wrote on the car when it was at the NEC. Cannot for the life of me remember what it was but it was either on the front passenger wing or the doors...

Anyway, superb turnaround! Great to see it getting the love it deserves!

Absolutely superb. I hope you display it with some of its old panels. 

I know there's always a question mark over the restoration of a car like this, but it was absolutely f*cked! It's worth remembering that the first Morris Minor and the first Land Rover have both been restored - the former quite substantially. Now, they still exist and are still very important vehicles. This was absolutely the right thing to do and I applaud your efforts. And your welder's efforts!

• Like 5