Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - It is here!

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have a hard box hanging from my dashboard, first thought is an ashtray but a good pull does not open it. It is illustrated in the hand-book but not labelled, any ideas

Try Googling Wingard bakelite ashtray. 👍

• Like 1

Morris 1300 oddities

I have a hard box hanging from my dashboard, first thought is an ashtray but a good pull does not open it. It is illustrated in the hand-book but not labelled, any ideas?

Next concerns dashboard warning lights, there are 4, ignition, oil pressure, high beam and one other I had never seen light up. I considered that it might have been added by a previous owner for some accessory. Reading the hand-book revealed it was listed and described. Warning light no.13 is “Oil filter warning light” I have never come across such a warning lamp before, is it simply another pressure switch set a few psi higher? Any have any knowledge?

IMG_20240807_203152 tray high lighted broad.jpg

_1150124 highlight ashtray.jpg

_1150123 hightlight broad.jpg

_1150125 Oil Filter Light.jpg

Looks like an ashtray to me. OFWL is a new.one on me, where is the sensor?

1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

OFWL is a new.one on me, where is the sensor?

It's on the oil filter housing and looks just like a normal oil pressure switch.

1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

That must have been early then, have only seen vague pressure warnings.

I can't remember now whether it sensed high pressure going into the filter or low pressure coming out.

11 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I can't remember now whether it sensed high pressure going into the filter or low pressure coming out.

I'd assume high pressure going in, given that as I recall there's an internal bypass for if the filter gets too clogged.

36 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I'd assume high pressure going in, given that as I recall there's an internal bypass for if the filter gets too clogged.

Makes sense, presumably set at a similar pressure to the oil pump relief valve.  I can't remember whether the warning light came on when the engine was cold and then went out, maybe it did.  The filter would have had to be seriously blocked to trigger it, and as you say there is a bypass on the filter anyway which complicates things. 

Today the Fiat Seicento had it brakes un seized and cleaned, One step closer to getting it MOTed. Also sometime ago I bought a set of alloy wheels with younger tyres so they got fitted while all the wheels were off.

The JCB had its wiring checked and a loose connection was found that was stopping it starting. Now it puffs enough smoke again to keep the midges away!

The Mower had new brake pads today after my racing driver had complained he was not driving it again until the brakes were fixed! It started with a blow out of all the hay gathered in it. The brake disc is tiny. Unfortunately we still need to fix a puncture that has got worse.

IMG_20240809_175420 broad.jpg

IMG_20240809_120803 broad.jpg

IMG_20240809_125414 broad.jpg

IMG_20240809_133642 broad.jpg

IMG_20240809_141516 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Mower maintenance

I only broke down once!

Today @Andyrew, Colin from the Milton Keynes Classic Car Club and I went to the 1100 Club National Rally at Bosworth Battlefield Centre.  Andy and Colin with their Vanden Plas 1300's and me in our Morris 1300. 

For me it was a 58 miles journey, but after 32 miles I entered a roundabout and the engine cut out never to restart, luckily I coasted off the roundabout to a safe spot. Andy and Colin turned round to find out why I had dropped off the back of the group. A quick bit of diagnosis and I found there there was no sparking at the points. Andy quickly pinned it down to the condenser had died, but the magic part part was next thing with a slight of hand Andy was holding a new condenser in his hand. Condenser was soon fitted and we were on our way with no further problems including the 58 miles home.

IMG_20240811_082336 broad.jpg

IMG_20240811_114953 broad.jpg

IMG_20240811_144357 broad.jpg

IMG_20240811_114846 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I only broke down once!
3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I only broke down once!

Today @Andyrew, Colin from the Milton Keynes Classic Car Club and I went to the 1100 Club National Rally at Bosworth Battlefield Centre.  Andy and Colin with their Vanden Plas 1300's and me in our Morris 1300. 

For me it was a 58 miles journey, but after 32 miles I entered a roundabout and the engine cut out never to restart, luckily I coasted off the roundabout to a safe spot. Andy and Colin turned round to find out why I had dropped off the back of the group. A quick bit of diagnosis and I found there there was no sparking at the points. Andy quickly pinned it down to the condenser had died, but the magic part part was next thing with a slight of hand Andy was holding a new condenser in his hand. Condenser was soon fitted and we were on our way with no further problems including the 58 miles home.

IMG_20240811_082336 broad.jpg

IMG_20240811_114953 broad.jpg

Parking thread contender? Will forgive, for the FAP MG, Lewes reg my memory says

12 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Parking thread contender? Will forgive, for the FAP MG, Lewes reg my memory says

We met in a garden centre before it opened so using 4 parking spaces for 3 small cars for a few minutes was no issue!

• Like 1

Yesterday’s trip to MK Modern Classics meeting was the 1,000 mile landmark for the Morris 1300 since I have been driving it.

The car arrived on a truck.

·         I started by changing the Coil to cure a bad misfire.

·         I had the steering rack bush changed that got rid of the banging noise.

·         As it was still winter I had the heater matrix opened up cleaned out and refitted to get heat.

·         Last Sunday the condenser broke down and stopped me, but was soon replaced.

Outstanding Jobs

·         The exhaust has started blowing

·         Fit hubcaps

IMG_20240815_182026 broad.jpg

IMG_20240815_182919 broad.jpg

Today two strong arm men turned up at my house and repossessed my Black Astra, they claim I had had it nearly 2 years and never made a payment!

IMG_20240817_201909 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - They took my car!

Today two strong arm men turned up at my house and repossessed my Black Astra, they claim I had had it nearly 2 years and never made a payment!

IMG_20240817_201909 broad.jpg

You had the better end of the deal 😀

My old Triumph 2500TC went up for sale for £1995 with rust underneath and painted rust effect paintwork. I owned it for about 4 years from 2010. It was sold in one day.

I sold it because it did not have power steering and needed a lot of paintwork. 

Last picture is when I had it.

For Sale Aug 2024 MDF 375P 06.jpg

For Sale Aug 2024 MDF 375P 03.jpg

DSCN5926 broad.jpg

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

My old Triumph 2500TC went up for sale for £1995 with rust underneath and painted rust effect paintwork. I owned it for about 4 years from 2010. It was sold in one day.

I sold it because it did not have power steering and needed a lot of paintwork. 

Last picture is when I had it.

For Sale Aug 2024 MDF 375P 06.jpg

For Sale Aug 2024 MDF 375P 03.jpg

DSCN5926 broad.jpg

You should arrange a viewing and take the AS mafia from a couple of posts above  to explain the error of their ways, im picturing 6C as a de-niro style mafia don...

You disrespect my car - you disrespect my family...

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Floatylight said:

You should arrange a viewing and take the AS mafia from a couple of posts above  to explain the error of their ways, im picturing 6C as a de-niro style mafia don...

You disrespect my car - you disrespect my family...

Like  don ciccio in  the Godfather who gets out of his little FIAT with the suit and fedora.

• Haha 1

I had a letter and a faraday pouch gift from Land Rover today! They should issue all Range Rover owners affected with two old Mercedes like the ones we use to block in the Range Rover.

IMG_20240819_141717 broad.jpg

IMG_20240819_155538 broad.jpg

13 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I had a letter and a faraday pouch gift from Land Rover today! They should issue all Range Rover owners affected with two old Mercedes like the ones we use to block in the Range Rover.

IMG_20240819_141717 broad.jpg

IMG_20240819_155538 broad.jpg

Is that a W124 320 CE? I have a serious want for one of those!

7 hours ago, MAF260 said:

Is that a W124 320 CE? I have a serious want for one of those!

You need to be careful saying words like that around him 😂

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, hairnet said:

no the strange rover isnt there cos someone might nick it :D

is it :D

It's so secure not even the owner with the keys can't get it out sometimes... Depending on what's blocking it in not starting due to reasons