Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June

Six-cylinder

Wise to be wary of dodgy brakes after your recent experience. Progress on the LNA has indeed been impressive - all this has been done in less than a year as it was a post-Shitefest purchase. Every time I visited the field of dreams it looked more and more car like so fingers crossed for the MoT. That off-centre numberplate hurts my eyes though!

• Like 1

Wise to be wary of dodgy brakes after your recent experience. Progress on the LNA has indeed been impressive - all this has been done in less than a year as it was a post-Shitefest purchase. Every time I visited the field of dreams it looked more and more car like so fingers crossed for the MoT. That off-centre numberplate hurts my eyes though!

Temporary fitment of the bent front bumper and I hope I have found a replacement, but it is in North Wales.

Temporary fitment of the bent front bumper and I hope I have found a replacement, but it is in North Wales.

Where? I'm in Wrexham at the weekend.

• Like 1

I visited the Gamma this morning, but the garage has not even looked at it yet worst luck. To be fair they did say a Capri 1300cc Mk 2 base was next in the queue and they are still working on that.

The interior rear window picture shows the view though the louver in boot lid which has glass under it.  

post-4787-0-68651900-1497628447_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-77482100-1497628462_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-39480900-1497628493_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-62906000-1497628505_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-62824600-1497628518_thumb.jpg

A good motoring day, I have taken our MG Metro for a test run and I am very pleased with it.

Thanks to sheffcortinacentre for supplying me a fuel gauge sender, even that works.

The only thing I noticed after I had driven on a duel carriageway was there is some pinking.

The car still needs a full repaint but is sound and drives very well.

I have left it at the garage and will collect it early next week.

post-4787-0-00212700-1497629651_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-91393800-1497629658_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-60832400-1497629687_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-43861500-1497629891_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-36319500-1497629906_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-11034500-1497629923_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-22225000-1497629936_thumb.jpg

I know there is not a lot of love for these on here but I still like mine and have spent some of the day cleaning it for the MG show at Silverstone tomorrow. This evening I swapped the 4 wheels for refurbished one and may have started too soon when it was still warm!

Last night I gave a non car friend a lift home in it and he asked how old it was? 45 years is the answer. This reminded me that when I was 17 I used to help a friend with a vintage car and that was 45 years old and seemed very old, my MGB GT just seemed normal to be giving a friend a lift in.

post-4787-0-58757400-1497733467_thumb.jpg

I popped into the Bristol Classic car show today,

The EDF LNA was car of the show for me!

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20170618_103959.jpg

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20170618_104020.jpg

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20170618_105344.jpg

The LN was pretty special as well

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20170618_104455.jpg

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20170618_105319.jpg

Thanks they were the pictures I wanted.

A good motoring day, I have taken our MG Metro for a test run and I am very pleased with it.

Thanks to sheffcortinacentre for supplying me a fuel gauge sender, even that works.

The only thing I noticed after I had driven on a duel carriageway was there is some pinking.

The car still needs a full repaint but is sound and drives very well.

I have left it at the garage and will collect it early next week.

My godmother part exchanged her 1983 MG metro for the X1/9 on the 28th December 1988 according to the invoice copy I have. A913 UCA had 34,960 miles and was also silver. They allowed £3775 against the new fiat.

post-8687-0-99981000-1497820424_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As above, what fuel are you using? Super unleaded may cure the pinking without needing to muck about with timing etc.

The car had a couple of gallons of 95 in it and I put 5 gallons of BP 97 in it then drove it on duel carriageway.

Your God mothers MG Metro was a bit high mileage, ours has only done 30,075 miles! We are the second owners.

• Like 1

She liked driving! I thought she bought it new, but perhaps it was an ex demo? I was only 11 at the time so don't recall. It did have red seat belts though which I thought very flash.

• Like 1

When my Vitesse broke down and had to be towed in I new I could fix it quickly as I have been working on these cars for 40 years and had spares.

I soon identified I had no spark so put on new points ,condenser, distributor cap, rotor arm, coil, HT leads and even hot wired it to a battery giving 12.8 volts. I still had no sparks so a friend came round and did it all again including all the new parts with more new parts still no spark. I could only get an occasional spark even from the king lead so I ordered another new coil. When I fitted this I got a spark at the king lead. but not plugs. I refitted the used rotor arm that I broke down with and sparks restored and the car now drives fine.

The problem is I now have 3 suspect coils, are they really broken or did I accidentally fix something else and the coils are good?

no.1 Lucas sports coil which had been on the for at least 5 years and was on the car when I broke down.

no.2  Unbranded new coil that I bought new to carry as a spare and fitted but could not get a spark.

no. 3 Lucas standard coil bought new when the Vitesse broke down.

no.4 Lucas sports coil bought new when I still had a problem and is now working properly on the car.

Coil no. 1 Primary Ohms 3.1, Secondary Ohms 9240, working ?

Coil no. 2 Primary Ohms 4.1, Secondary Ohms 7020, working ?

Coil no. 3 Primary Ohms 3.7, Secondary Ohms 9010, working ?

Coil no. 4 Primary Ohms 3.0, Secondary Ohms 10380, on car now

I believe all the resistance readings are within a working coil range. Does anybody have the knowledge to know if the first 3 coils are ok or is there another factor I have not taken into account? 

post-4787-0-85454200-1497957323_thumb.jpg

I've a similar problem with the fiat, two standard coils - magnetti morelli original and a Bosch replacement giving similar readings but neither giving a good spark when hot. I spent £40 ish pounds on a new solid state coil and it's bloody fantastic. No hesitation starting and idles evenly at 100 degrees. More than be said for my blood pressure!

You can't tell if an ignition coil is good from the resistance readings of the two windings.

With resistance measurements you can tell only that it is broken if one or both of the windings is open circuit, ie infinite ohms.

The usual way coils fail is that a short circuit develops between adjacent turns of either the primary or the secondary. This has negligable effect upon the resistance measurements but a strong effect on the ability of the coil to produce a useful spark. What happens is that most of the energy that should go into producing that high voltage across the secondary for a good spark goes into heating up that short circuited turn. Thus a duff coil and no spark.

• Like 2

I have ordered another Lucas sports coil to keep as a spare and really don't have the time to simply refit each one, so I guess there days are numbered!

I had another run out last night and all seems fine with the Vitesse now.

Another milestone day yesterday, the LNA passed its MOT.

Unfortunately with that it threw its driver's window into the door shell unbroken, the metal has a reputation for rotting away so we will see when I investigate the problem.

It has taken 11 months to reach this point and of coarse one day it still needs painting as well. Remember the story, on ebay sat in a hedge for a number of years, engine in the boot looking like somebody might get a few spares off it. I liked the look of it especially as it was an Inca limited edition, but I am too clever to think it was a viable project so my bid for £103 was just so I could dream about it in the bath, I was sure somebody would out bid me! They did not so what to do with it, I felt sorry for it so when I found somebody familiar with there engines he investigated it for me and we just kept going..............

Now would you buy a car from these pictures on the original ebay listing!

post-4787-0-52769200-1498030905_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-02883700-1498030980_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-29425200-1498030991_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-40519600-1498031002_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-09946000-1498031021_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-29553400-1498031031_thumb.jpg

Intrigued....

RMorris.. What is a 'solid state' coil?

Not electric ign + hall sensor ?

Are you saying it replaces a 'silver coketin' wired coil??

EBay linkkie... Have you one :)

ToMM© has the 'all in one' sparkie dizzie, so just interested in the concept ;)

TS

Intrigued....

RMorris.. What is a 'solid state' coil?

Not electric ign + hall sensor ?

Are you saying it replaces a 'silver coketin' wired coil??

EBay linkkie... Have you one :)

ToMM© has the 'all in one' sparkie dizzie, so just interested in the concept ;)

TS

Yes, the ignition is still on points and condenser (in the fiat at least), it's a direct replacement for the metal canister type. On the fiat this old one looked to be leaking as there was a misting of oil around the seal.

dry coil type in the fiat....

sv009_lrg.jpg

http://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=55

and this one in the 2CV.

140405.jpg

https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/ignition-coil-lead-ecas-super-coil-volt-dyane-ultimate-coil-solutionzero-stock-p-1159.html

When my Vitesse broke down and had to be towed in I new I could fix it quickly as I have been working on these cars for 40 years and had spares.

I soon identified I had no spark so put on new points ,condenser, distributor cap, rotor arm, coil, HT leads and even hot wired it to a battery giving 12.8 volts. I still had no sparks so a friend came round and did it all again including all the new parts with more new parts still no spark. I could only get an occasional spark even from the king lead so I ordered another new coil. When I fitted this I got a spark at the king lead. but not plugs. I refitted the used rotor arm that I broke down with and sparks restored and the car now drives fine.

The problem is I now have 3 suspect coils, are they really broken or did I accidentally fix something else and the coils are good?

no.1 Lucas sports coil which had been on the for at least 5 years and was on the car when I broke down.

no.2  Unbranded new coil that I bought new to carry as a spare and fitted but could not get a spark.

no. 3 Lucas standard coil bought new when the Vitesse broke down.

no.4 Lucas sports coil bought new when I still had a problem and is now working properly on the car.

Coil no. 1 Primary Ohms 3.1, Secondary Ohms 9240, working ?

Coil no. 2 Primary Ohms 4.1, Secondary Ohms 7020, working ?

Coil no. 3 Primary Ohms 3.7, Secondary Ohms 9010, working ?

Coil no. 4 Primary Ohms 3.0, Secondary Ohms 10380, on car now

I believe all the resistance readings are within a working coil range. Does anybody have the knowledge to know if the first 3 coils are ok or is there another factor I have not taken into account? 

Ha......fitted too many parts at once!!

Take all your coils for a drive and try them one at a time..........

Bin or store accordingly

• Like 1