Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Day one of the Carlton 1.8i Saloon revival!

Six-cylinder

Now you have found the proper wheel trims for the Carlton saloon you might as well get it back on the road!

I assume it’s only the passenger side doors that are damaged? The rest of the bodywork looks not bad…

Did @Andyrew own this car at one point? 

10 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Now you have found the proper wheel trims for the Carlton saloon you might as well get it back on the road!

I assume it’s only the passenger side doors that are damaged? The rest of the bodywork looks not bad…

Did @Andyrew own this car at one point? 

I have never valued the Calton 1.8i manual saloon as a car I want to keep. If it was a Lotus, GSi, 24v Diamond Estate or even a 2.6 CDX Auto Saloon it would be different. However Mrs6C has spoken and @ianbmw is in agreement with her so it is headed back to the road for another £345 road tax bill.

There are other minor body marks but the n-s doors are the bad ones.

Yes @Andyrew did own it, but he did not get on with it. 

IMG_20241013_153651 broad.jpg

• Like 3

I've had a few Carltons over the years.

Starting with a 3.0 Gsi in Starmist Black.Had fun racing a 944 on the as then new Oswestry bypass,with the instant mpg showing as low as 8. That got stolen and burnt out for the CD player..

Then I briefly owned a 2.0 estate that had been used for "ferrying show dogs around ". Bought unseen as it sounded like it had been looked after if being used to carry precious pups. Turned out the dogs had been allowed to crap,piss and puke all over the back seats and boot areas 

The smell was horrendous,even after stripping most of then interior out so it got scrapped soon after. 

My last was a 24v Diamond estate in that nice burgundy colour. Full black leather with all the toys it did a good few trips to Scotland and back.

After I welded up the swan necks and the rear footwells,the mot tester told me I was in the wrong job(butcher) and should think about welding full time....

• Like 2

Needed to move the noisiest starter motor in the world today, after shoving it into the grass two days ago after failing to start.

My original assumption was the original fuel pump had died, so I’m glad @Six-cylinder hadn’t brought one off this sulking diagnosis.

Slid under the car, hooked up the multi meter, and we had infrequent 12v…..which i assumed was due to the starter drawing more than it should. 

Went to the fuel pump relay, bridged it and instant 12v…..relay back in and multi meter in the relay plug, pulsating 12v again .

Relay back in and bridged , and it fires up instantly, so a new relay is on its way and hopefully, fingers crossed, this solves the issue.

To reward myself, I had a hair cut…..took the Carlton.

IMG_8512.jpeg

IMG_8517.jpeg

5 hours ago, ianbmw said:

Needed to move the noisiest starter motor in the world today, after shoving it into the grass two days ago after failing to start.

My original assumption was the original fuel pump had died, so I’m glad @Six-cylinder hadn’t brought one off this sulking diagnosis.

Slid under the car, hooked up the multi meter, and we had infrequent 12v…..which i assumed was due to the starter drawing more than it should. 

Went to the fuel pump relay, bridged it and instant 12v…..relay back in and multi meter in the relay plug, pulsating 12v again .

Relay back in and bridged , and it fires up instantly, so a new relay is on its way and hopefully, fingers crossed, this solves the issue.

IMG_8512.jpeg

IMG_8517.jpeg

I think the Carlton estate was a pretty big car in its day. Now look at it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

I think the Carlton estate was a pretty big car in its day. Now look at it.

Would still take some beating for load space now though, surely? Not even sure if my Superb would beat it.

65.3 cubic feet, apparently. 

67.8 for a Superb, so pretty close.  And the Superb is the largest load capacity estate on sale in the UK. 

43 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

67.8 for a Superb, so pretty close.  And the Superb is the largest load capacity estate on sale in the UK. 

Thanks. I knew the Superb was current largest, I’ve made use of it this week, just thought Carlton can’t have been far off, which you’ve just proved, cheers!

I usually measure boot space in dead bodies, I haven’t had any unwilling volunteers to measure it recently, but it’s bloody big and spacious.

It’s actually quite a comfortable old bus and with the exception of the FPR, I’m trusting it to complete any journey now……definitely rewarding for all those evenings fixing it on the gravel and in the rain!

I’m going to have a crack at riding the roof lining up and see if I can quieten down the starter - which sounds horrible!  I just think a few more hours tlc will make all the difference.

1 hour ago, adw1977 said:

How about the Volvo 740/940?

DSCN3307 broad.jpg

• Like 2

I have a set of GM roof bars that my dad had for his Carlton, if of use to anyone? Set of three, for the estates before roof rails were added but I’ve used two on my Carlton and Senator in the past.  Have the key too.

23 minutes ago, ianbmw said:

Surly this a next FOD activity, how many bodies can fit in an estate?

Live, or dead? 😀

9 hours ago, ianbmw said:

IMG_8512.jpeg

IMG_8517.jpeg

I think I saw you!  I was two cars back from turning onto the main road when you went past.  I gave chase but by the time the biddy in the Micra in front of me had figured out where she was going I'd lost you.  Really is a smart looking car.