Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

On 23/11/2023 at 17:13, MiniMinorMk3 said:

I remember this from the PG Tips History of the Motor Car cards

Loq%2BzTfmGxWuKL3JrDwmMiORja5Rjf1hLkyM=&

It was card number 1 in the set

OIP.LZ-TnhEAo3DGoJKNPxLYxQAAAA?rs=1&pid=

tFYKw=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

I remember it from this book which I read at my grandparents' house when I was a kid.

image.thumb.png.41f4367a854e36b8087fbff93e6ddca4.png

Which is on Amazon used for less than £4!  *orders*

• Like 2

6 hours ago, delux said:

Red Lotus Eletre AO73GWP

Lotus Bandwagon...sorry Lotus Eletre, who knew?!

Just let them do their thing for the next 10 years, until everyone else realises this SUV thing is a fad.

Then at least we’ll still have Lotus as a brand. It’s the same with Porsche and the Cayenne.

On 21/11/2023 at 20:20, Bfg said:

And now for something completely different .. if you'd forgive a slightly lateral step on the theme of this topic ..for although I knew of the vehicle - I neither knew the name of the man behind it, nor did I realise just how long ago such a motorised vehicle able to carry four persons ..and draw 4 tons along the road, was designed, built and tested.

spacer.png

Nicolas Joseph Cugnot (engineer) - (French. b. 26 February 1725.  d. 2 October 1804) invented and built this steam powered Fardier à vapeur (..a fardier was a massively built two-wheeled horse-drawn cart for transporting very heavy equipment, so in essence a 'steam-powered flat-bed' haulage tractor) 254 years ago  ..yes Two-hundred and fifty-four Years ago.!

The tractor unit was articulated to the trailer (surely an idea that would never catch on !? ), and it was built to a military specification ; to be able to carry or draw along four tons and cover two lieue (7.8 km, or 4.8 miles) in one hour.  It never achieved that specification but it did drive under its own power.  In 1770, a full sized Fardier was built and it travelled at a speed of 4 km/h (little over 2mph) with a running time of fifteen minutes, before its relatively small boiler need to be refired and the steam raised again.

This was a decade and half before higher pressure steam engines were fervently opposed by certain persons British history better remembers.. Messrs James Watt and Matthew Boulton

< more here > and < here > with < video here >. And for those interested in the history of steam road vehicles < here's > another Wikipedia link.

And here was I thinking 'motor vehicles that ran on the open road ground (ie., not along rails / tracks) before WW.1 were really old'.  

Pete

I had a Ladybird book with a picture of that in it!

That book is also why I think of 80s cars as very modern despite being somewhat more modern than that myself.

11 hours ago, Pieman said:

I remember it from this book which I read at my grandparents' house when I was a kid.

image.thumb.png.41f4367a854e36b8087fbff93e6ddca4.png

Which is on Amazon used for less than £4!  *orders*

This is not just any Pictorial History of Cars book, it's a Marks and Spencer Pictorial History of Cars book, with an introduction by Hunt the Shunt.

58 minutes ago, martc said:

image.thumb.png.04160aa1def80886c3086408fc025833.png

No it's not a FIAT 127, it's a 147 because it's a diesel.

Fiat 147, built in Brazil with both petrol and diesels.

Pre-Face lift

1024px-1982_Fiat_147_1050.jpg

Face lift badged as 127 Diesel in Europe.

fiat-127-diesel.jpg?itok=OgalZ6j8

They also did a Panorama version

fiat-127-panorama.jpg?itok=8uMYnGCL

Finally the 127 Rustica

fiat-127-rustica.jpg?itok=HjlHSAGO

Excellent. 

What opportunities have marketing departments missed over the years?

We could have had the Talbot Horizon Rattle, the Rover 200 Kettle or the BMW 320d Chainsnap

😄

On 24/11/2023 at 17:47, delux said:

Red Lotus Eletre AO73GWP

Lotus Bandwagon...sorry Lotus Eletre, who knew?!

On 24/11/2023 at 21:41, delux said:

I thought that too. Didnt pay much attention until I saw the Lotus badge!

According to Wikipedia they were designed in Coventry and made in China. About as unLotus as you can get.

It transpires that Lotus is sort of two companies, which not a lot of people seem to know. The Electoral Roll photographed above is a product of Lotus Tech, who are basically a spin off of Geely in China. 

Lotus Cars remain the Hethel engineering outfit and are responsible for the more conventional cars. 

The cars from both arms are sold under the single Lotus brand but it seems there is definitely a clear divide between the two. 

There's a lot more detail to it than that, but I recall hearing that Lotus Cars' cheif designer was keen to distance himself from any credit for the Electron Microscope at its launch and highlighted the difference between the two areas of the company. 

If EV SUVs are meant to do the numbers keep the company afloat whilst the enthusiasts can keep buying lower-volume models like the (gorgeous) Emira, then so be it. 

• Like 2

On 28/11/2023 at 00:12, Dick Longbridge said:

Iso Rivolta. What a stunner.

Iso-Rivolta-IR-300-Coupe-1967-01.thumb.jpg.686e393db6bcb424ead8ce1bcb3a5ab7.jpg

They look even better from the front, one of my bucket list cars.

1529337411127108.jpg

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.2af0027c0350245ae5ffce52422fdfbc.png

image.thumb.png.26559ce098377591ce101fd20d9fc5c5.png

The Italian Ford Anglia, with body made by OSI  (Officine Stampaggi Industriali - 'Industrial Stampings Workshop') and oily bits from Dagenham. I've got to say I prefer this to the traditional Anglebox.

image.thumb.png.93a5a8787a11d4216a07376f1cd0e3c5.png

Here's one in the wild.