Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Any particular reason why it is right hand drive?

1 hour ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Allegedly* RHD was favoured as most tracks were driven clockwise and this put the driver's weight in a better place for cornering - dunno how much truth is in that though.
(may just have been a 'thing' that evolved - like which pedal goes where?)

The car's first outing was the 1953 Le Mans. With the driver on the right they could exit more quickly and safely during driver changes. Back then the pits were at the side of the track with no separate pit lane.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Yes - and purchase tax was high. A flat-rate of 33.33% rate was increased to 66% for cars costing over £1000 in 1947 and this rate was extended to all cars from 1951. In 1953 it was reduced to 50%.

I think 3 wheelers were taxed at a lower rate, which explains by some smaller makers went down that path.

53 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I think 3 wheelers were taxed at a lower rate, which explains by some smaller makers went down that path.

IIRC, both purchase & tax discs were cheeper for 3's, insurance too - maybe L-drivers were allowed solo?

25 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

IIRC, both purchase & tax discs were cheeper for 3's, insurance too - maybe L-drivers were allowed solo?

Are 3 wheelers still taxed at a lower rate or is it emission based? ( not that you see many at all these days).

12 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I remember they could be driven at an earlier age than cars, was that on a motorcycle licence? I can't remember if you had to have a qualified passenger if on L plates. It was a long time ago that I used to borrow my sister's Isetta.

6 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

rotterdam.thumb.png.3584440c8f4fbc2762d219f82db5f53e.png

Rotterdam.

I remember being shit scared of lorry trailers as a kid after my mum told me about a family friend crashing into/under one and getting decapitated. That thought stuck with me for ages.

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

What's the car under the truck?  Police are using a Chevy suburban.

My initial thought was that it may be an Autobianchi A112, but the rear light doesn't seem to match. ''-HS-'' is a 1976 plate...

13 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

What's the car under the truck?  Police are using a Chevy suburban.

12 hours ago, D.E said:

My initial thought was that it may be an Autobianchi A112, but the rear light doesn't seem to match. ''-HS-'' is a 1976 plate...

It's an Autobianchi A112 Normal (base model). Those did not have reverse lights in the rear clusters.

ad461eea8681431c2451e018c04abc74.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I remember being shit scared of lorry trailers as a kid after my mum told me about a family friend crashing into/under one and getting decapitated. That thought stuck with me for ages.

I was told that story too. I presume it must have happened rather than being an urban myth as they eventually fitted side bars to trailers.