La cinq-cent dix

Ratdat

SSSuperb effort, Dat man!

I too joined up to read threads just like this one. This is definitley the best collection thread I have ever read.

I do like a nice 510, me. :D

What's the plans, bare shell resto? I reckon it deserves it!

Here's some pics back at base. Overall this thing is better than expected but I'm definately going to be busy with the mig. There's not much left of the sills and I reckon the boot floor will be full of holes as it's super crusty. Both rear quarters have rotted though where they meet the boot floor too. 

Picture132.jpg

Picture131.jpg

Obviously both bumpers are no use (anyone figured what the front one is from yet?) the grille is poorly and the headlights shot which is a shame as they are lovely old Marchals. Mind, they're LHD so not much use over here obviously.

Picture133.jpg

The back panel and boot lid are quite decent, although the latter is a bit dented. Tail lights are wierd. I've never seen orange reverse lenses on one of these before. They've not been tinted or anything, they look original.

Picture130.jpg

Inside, the there's a proper SSS steering wheel in decent shape, a tacho that works and a dash top that's not split, but the rest of it is junk really.

Picture134.jpg

Picture135.jpg

The rollbar is very thin but looks to have been fitted in all seriousness. there's also a battery cutout on the front wing. I wonder if it ever saw any local amatuer motorsport?

Picture136.jpg

Picture138.jpg

And there's these too...

Picture139.jpg

Then there's those wheels. Gotti 6x13s which I'd guess must be a rarity. I reckon they most likely came from an Alfa Romeo Bertone GTV or suchlike, as I think they have the same stud pattern. There's also a rubber boot floor mat which has an Alfa romeo Milano logo on it which muct have come from something of similar vintage.

Picture140.jpg

Having examined it, it's certainly a real SSS which is fantastic. I'm well chuffed to have one, even if it does need a lot of work. I have my other 510, which I am willing to sacrifice to fix this one and fortunately have lots of new parts so it's all do-able. The first job is going to be deep cleaning, most likely with a hot pressure washer as it's generally pretty minging as is. I'm going to see if I can hire one of those big diesel ones. I'll bosh up some more pics post-clean!

Picture141.jpg

This is amazing.

I was aware of these being available in Europe and I am glad you have captured one. I like seventies japanese cars because of the OTT styling and American influences. But I like these more because of the simplistic late sixties styling they used before having to go at it and infiltrate world markets..if you know what I mean...

Also saw the worst towing combo on the M180 heading towards Scunthorpe two nights ago. Load was a LWB Dodge Ram pickup on the smallest trailer available...towed by a T reg Ford Explorer. Scared me to death must have been doing 45mph. Passed it on the third lane. All the wagons having to overtake it also.

Brilliant stuff RD. TBH, I wouldn't mind having a look at this in the flesh... :-D :-D :-D

Excellent work sir! Nice to see someone who understands that a real roadtrip has to be over 1000miles;)

• Re the cleaning of the car- I'd just get her all welded up and spray clearcoat over her as is. that is real patina- none of this half arsed " been under a tree for 3 months" guff

This is amazing.

I was aware of these being available in Europe and I am glad you have captured one. I like seventies japanese cars because of the OTT styling and American influences. But I like these more because of the simplistic late sixties styling they used before having to go at it and infiltrate world markets..if you know what I mean...

Also saw the worst towing combo on the M180 heading towards Scunthorpe two nights ago. Load was a LWB Dodge Ram pickup on the smallest trailer available...towed by a T reg Ford Explorer. Scared me to death must have been doing 45mph. Passed it on the third lane. All the wagons having to overtake it also.

Brilliant stuff RD. TBH, I wouldn't mind having a look at this in the flesh... :-D :-D :-D

You're welcome to pop round for a cuppa and a poke around it if you want. Just pm me.

I will be miles away, but is the front bumper from something British? And is it a rear bumper, masquerading?

Not British and not a rear so far as I can tell. A clue: I reckon they chose which bumper to use by thinking of cars that looked similar to a 510.

Not British and not a rear so far as I can tell. A clue: I reckon they chose which bumper to use by thinking of cars that looked similar to a 510.

2002 BMW or a pre-3 Series with quad lights, anyway?

I will never get this. :)

I was going to take a punt on Peugeot 404 for the front bumper. :)

The 510 SSS is certainly a nice and tidy design for the early 70s. I prefer the newer 'coke bottle' look Datsuns like the B210 Sunny, Violet/140J and Bluebird/180B (hope I got those latter ones right) simply for their leftfield styling.

I was going to take a punt on Peugeot 404 for the front bumper. :)

The 510 SSS is certainly a nice and tidy design for the early 70s. I prefer the newer 'coke bottle' look Datsuns like the B210 Sunny, Violet/140J and Bluebird/180B (hope I got those latter ones right) simply for their leftfield styling.

The 50 is more of a '60's child as it came out in 1967. Before that, the Japanese were largely using Italian stylists (the previous Bluebird was a Pininfarina design) so it's easy to see where these early in-house efforts came from. 

Not much to add here, rather late to the party.

Nice trip, nice car, well executed. Glad you've NOVA'd it -and as a serial 125 owner -reckon you're right.

Looking forward to seeing this roadworthy -in a year or two.

Top marks, Ed.

PS. Have you got a marker on Leboncoin -how did you pick up the ad so quick? I'll bet your face was priceless!

Not much to add here, rather late to the party.

Nice trip, nice car, well executed. Glad you've NOVA'd it -and as a serial 125 owner -reckon you're right.

Looking forward to seeing this roadworthy -in a year or two.

Top marks, Ed.

PS. Have you got a marker on Leboncoin -how did you pick up the ad so quick? I'll bet your face was priceless!

I'm hoping to have an MOT on it in the next couple of months. I'd really rather get it registered then worry about making it pretty later!

No marker, just very fortunate timing. Heaps of good fortune! It was listed about 2.30pm Thursday and I saw it about 4 hours later. It was handy that the seller was a man of honor and trusting too as when I said I'd take it, he took me at my word and didn't sell it to anyone else, even though he knew I was coming from abroad. I should buy a lottery ticket this week!

Oh, and if you can make use of that front bumper, you're welcome to it. It's straight with a minor amount of chrome pitting. I'll see how it looks with a clean.