My car is a wildlife reserve.

Spiny Norman

NEST.jpg

Couple of months back my mate Muttley went to move the truck and found this! Well that's a reconstructed pic cos he moved it but she never came back for the eggs. I put it on the Mk1's petrol tank, forgot about it, then drove from Surrey to London down the M3 and it was still there when I went to fill up!! :shock:

Early mornings are good for wildlife encounters.

0630, very familiar country lane, MG Maestro... you can guess the kind of speeds I was doing and the width of the grin on my chops... and then a rabbit decided to cross the road. You know that phrase "rabbit caught in the headlights"? I know now, that's exactly what they do, they sit upright, bang in the middle of your path, when you're about 0.003 of a second away from smacking them with a ton of steel and plastic. By the time I'd slithered to a halt and reversed to the impact site at least a couple of minutes had passed. There wasn't much rabbit left. Little sod pulled the plastic lip off my front spoiler.

Similar time of day, in the back yard of a parade of shops in Fleetwood, where I'm unloading pallets of assorted produce. My customer pulls in in his Atego, which he uses for early darts to Liverpool fruit market. And there's a little head peeking out from the bottom of the grille. Oh, says he, I wondered where that pigeon went...... It was still alive, in fact looking around quite perkily. He'd picked it up just as he joined the motorway, so it was a Scouser. As I had my diesel gloves on I gently eased it across the grill to a point where I could extract it, then let it go. It flew away to survey its new holiday home and check out the girly pigeons...

A chap at work smacked a pigeon in his Rover 75 on the way to work, and made it another 20 miles with it still lodged in the lower grille. Pulled into a space right outside the entrance and the deceased just gently fell out onto the floor, which was a wonderful thing to have outside the main doors to the site.

Strangely, by lunchtime it had disappeared and there were just feathers. Rumour has it the canteen had curry special on the menu that day.

I also decapitated a dead fox. Someone else had already flattened the body but the head was roughly head shape, until me and my very low Polo came along. The centre exhaust clamp bolt caught it right on the back of the skull and as I looked in the mirror, I just saw this brown furry ball rolling down the road after me.

Last week a pigeon decided to fly across the front of a DAF CF tipper I was driving, it hit the screen at 50mph and sounded like a sledgehammer hitting the cab. I had to look in the tipper body to find out if it was still there. :cry: One day about 15 years ago a kestrel dropped dead mid flight and landed on the front scuttle of my Volvo 340 scaring the shit out of me, its dead eyes staring at me until I could pull over. A mate ran over a barn owl in a mk1 Laguna by accident, he thought it was a McDonalds bag, made a hell of a mess.

Are we including running people over in this thread?

• 4 weeks later...

I changed the choke cable on the 126 this afternoon.

When I lifted the rear seat, I was greeted by the sight of a dead mouse in it's bed, which it had made out of the rear seat foam :x:x

Obviously, 1980s Polish seat foam was a bit to much for the little critter.

HPIM0001.jpg

ANTS! Grr. Where I park at work has brick paving and the little buggers love my cars as I usually have cars with plenty holes in them.

When I has my W123 Mercedes, I once tapped on the sill and a lump of rust fell off, a clod of dirt fell out and millions of ants panicked and scattered!

220px-Meat_eater_ant_feeding_on_honey02.jpg