Split_Pin

Shite in Miniature II

Conrad:  you want some masking fluid, or artist's blue mask as it's also known.  Paint it on the bits you don't want to paint, then paint the bits you do want to paint without worrying about overpainting, wait for it to dry and simply rub off the overpaint.  It's like masking tape, but liquid, and really smelly.

I've used it with watercolours, acrylics, and Humbrol enamels with reasonable results.  I've used it on hard plastics, card, and paper and the results are always pretty much the same.  I just don't like how it smells that much so I rely on a steady hand most of the time.

Conrad:  you want some masking fluid, or artist's blue mask as it's also known.  Paint it on the bits you don't want to paint, then paint the bits you do want to paint without worrying about overpainting, wait for it to dry and simply rub off the overpaint.  It's like masking tape, but liquid, and really smelly.

Great tip, thanks! I'll try it. 

I have used vaseline to achieve a similar result.

Promotional Avon Tyres Gama Vauxhall Calibra. Box has gone mouldy due to beibg soaked by the looks.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190117_010509.jpg

Nah, box has gone mouldy to simulate Avons.

post-17915-0-51681000-1547738355_thumb.jpg

If you look closely, it'll have all cracked round the side too.

That's attention to detail, that is.

I had a set of Avons on my Cavalier about 4+ years ago. Grip and road noise were fine but after barely 8 months they started cracking on the sidewalls. After the winter they were scrap. £180 not well spent!

Another Norev has arrived and it's not a Citroen !

I've lowered the tone of my collection by adding a Ford :)

post-18019-0-49901700-1547742931_thumb.jpg

I'll hide it in amongst some Amis to see if anyone notices.

post-18019-0-20202900-1547742956_thumb.jpg

Think I'll add some more reverse rake windowed cars, can't be too many of them...?

A repro box has arrived too.

post-18019-0-96426800-1547742985_thumb.jpg

Ones an Atlas the other is a repo box with one of my repaints.

I had a set of Avons on my Cavalier about 4+ years ago. Grip and road noise were fine but after barely 8 months they started cracking on the sidewalls. After the winter they were scrap. £180 not well spent!

I'd foolishly thought Avons were a middling-to-premium brand, and had shod both the Laguna and the Yaris with them all round a few years back.

Was happy enough at first, but then the same issue as you; sidewalls started cracking and opening up after about 9 months. Avon didn't want to know, just bleated on about UV degradation and salt degradation and how it wasn't a manufacturer defect etc.

Really irritating to have to replace eight tyres with loads of tread still on them. Never again. Even LingLong/Arrowspeed/HappyDeathSlide plastic hoops don't do that.

Still, that Calibra's pretty tasty all the same!

Another Norev has arrived and it's not a Citroen !

I've lowered the tone of my collection by adding a Ford :)

attachicon.gif20190117_173110.jpg

I'll hide it in amongst some Amis to see if anyone notices.

attachicon.gif20190117_173151.jpg

Think I'll add some more reverse rake windowed cars, can't be too many of them...?

A repro box has arrived too.

attachicon.gif20190117_173445.jpg

Ones an Atlas the other is a repo box with one of my repaints.

Your repaints are rather nicely done. Would you care to give us a rundown of your method?

Your repaints are rather nicely done. Would you care to give us a rundown of your method?

I strip the old paint using your caustic soda method, clean the body up with a brass wire brush and prime with cheapo primer. Colour coat is acrylic spray cans from Le b&q. I warm the spray cans and model first. As soon as I can, I get the model somewhere warm. At this time of year I place them on top of a paraffin heater. A coat of clear laqure adds a nice shine.

Conrads Rolls looks good, maybe ask him too?

If you wondering how I did the wheels. I use to use a hole punch for making the circles in the sticky paper. Perfect size for most 1:64 / 1:55 vehicles. Then I'd use a pencil to draw the pattern / style I wanted. Then go over it in Black Pen.

:shock: !!!!

This is EXACTLY what I used to do with my Matchbox / Majorette / 1:55 sized Corgi - sized cars. Didn't use sticky paper which is the only difference. I used either pritt-stick or blue-tak. Used to copy wheel trim designs.

Another one I used to do was cut out wheels from old newspapers that had wheels on show or side-on views of cars for sale. The only surviving example of this is a Jaguar S-type. Nameplates came from newspaper ads too. Usually numberplate stockists advertising numbers. If i was lucky they'd already be yellow. If not, a light felt was all I needed. Pics later when I've got time.

So, like a tube, I slunk by the market stall again this morning. I just couldn't help myself.

This time there were THREE boxes of 50p diecast, the latest addition being a load of very banged up Superkings, brush-painted Superfasts and other randomers, including some older Corgi and Dinky - but all looking beyond earthly assistance.

post-17915-0-55979600-1547809118_thumb.jpg

^^^ Those furry gonk things bother me greatly. Note the ERF tipper (very squashed) and the back end of a Corgi Commer pickup from that set with the interchangable load bays. Corgi Volvo 245 missing its bootlid; MB Holden Ute clabbered in Humbrol. Tinplate hotrod looked interesting, but I couldn't see a maker.

Of course, I bought something. Stupid, but I did.

Lesney Matchbox No.6 Euclid Tipper, in reasonable nick:

post-17915-0-48899800-1547808910_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-51050500-1547809302_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-19234300-1547809321_thumb.jpg

Other than some chocolate on it, it's surprisingly straight of axle and even the decals aren't too bad.

(I hope it's chocolate, anyway.)

Seemed too good to leave in among the Kinder toys and battered stuff.

Then this, which was something I ain't never seen before: a Corgi Juniors Aero Car

post-17915-0-22504900-1547809456_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-53343800-1547809467_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-08200200-1547809479_thumb.jpg

Hmm. I wasn't sure if it was based on some kind of prototype or what; there's a touch of Studebaker Avanti about the nose.

But a quick internet search reveals:

post-17915-0-22089600-1547809498_thumb.jpg

Well I never. That's a new one on me.

It seems that there's an implicit James Bond connection, as this set-up may be familiar to anyone who watched The Man With The Golden Gun from 1974, when Scaramanga's AMC Matador X turns into a plane...

post-17915-0-82641600-1547809781_thumb.jpg

Not sure whether Corgi couldn't land a deal with either/both the film studio or AMC to sell it as a film tie-in - though they produced plenty of official 007 merchandise both before and after this, plus had the AMC Pacer model in two scales - but it seems fans consider it within the same range of collectables.

post-17915-0-24723900-1547809763_thumb.png

I'm not sure how long this model was in the Corgi line-up; it doesn't feature in any of my few 1970s and 80s Corgi catalogues, but it did seem to last long enough to go through at least one packaging redesign.

post-17915-0-36220300-1547809515_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering if it'd be worth my while to go back for a rummage just in case the wings are also still in there...

post-17915-0-92501300-1547809774_thumb.png

Needless to say, if anyone fancies either or both of these I'll happily send them over for just the cost of postage - I only rescued this pair because I thought someone might like 'em, they're not for my collectioning.

[EDIT: Lesney Euclid tipper and Corgi Aero Car both now spoken for!]

I'll take the little Euclid please Mr Cog!

Sold! To that charming chap with the many Morrises.

Will get that popped in a bag for you and on its way in the morning - although if you're in no hurry, I was planning on going through some of my other diecast bits and pieces over the weekend, with a view to relisting them on here. 

Could certainly hold off in case there's anything else in there that might tickle your fancy?

Some of you might remember that I obtained this mint horsebox last Sunday.

31852085687_c9bffa90a5_b.jpg

Of course it requires a suitable tow vee-hickle. There was this old OLLI in the stash, but it was was rather shonky and I didn't like the contrast.

Sadly I have no picture of what it used to look like, but now it looks like this:

46793729651_a2fe9e7f62_b.jpg

31852083297_4c5be01b61_b.jpg

And behold:

46793726901_58721c0df7_b.jpg

31852080207_d2ec7f0e3a_b.jpg