Aussie Outback to Melbourne.The End...really!

fotorabia

The reason for my new thread title is becos the coach tour company that my new best Italian mate and I have been working for has gone belly up.In true corporate fashion we were given 1 weeks notice of our redundancy hence on finishing work the Mercedes is mysteriously filling up with unopened bottles of champagne.Would this cheap Australian brand of bubbles work in the radiator...

SO..in true redundant-evicted from workers residency fashion..Diego and I are prepping the Merci with new sounds..fuel and water cannisters..a fistful of dollars..a camp stove and an expresso pot and are about to make the arduous 2000kms journey back to civilisation...out of this this over heated racist shit hole and back to the city of culture... Melbourne.

baa64064.jpg

Upon leaving the Kiwi Mob will bless our land canoe in order we do not capsize or become another feature part in the remake of Wolfs Creek.I will be photographing any sighted wrecks..classics and roadkill on our way sth.Thank you.

Best of luck :) I have to say that as a city slicker (I was born and raised in Perth for 22 years) I've never really had much time for countrified folk in Australia.

The reason for my new thread title is becos the coach tour company that my new best Italian mate and I have been working for has gone belly up. Thank you.

Probably not the best place to start a "day trips to the seaside" enterprise. Have fun on the road trip and I hope you manage to earn a few bob soon. Pictures eagerly anticipated. Try selling the story/pics to National Geographic or Readers Digest.

Sorry to hear about the loss of employment Rab but at least you have a road trip in a great country and car in pursuit of work, just think, you could be in the same position over here driving about in a shagged out Mondeo in the cold and rain chasing minimum wage jobs with legions of Eastern Europeans in front of you, so it's not all bad!

Sorry to hear about the loss of employment Rab but at least you have a road trip in a great country and car in pursuit of work, just think, you could be in the same position over here driving about in a shagged out Mondeo in the cold and rain chasing minimum wage jobs with legions of Eastern Europeans in front of you, so it's not all bad!

BS6..that image is so depressing I feel right fortunate I do...at the ripe old age of 44 and having repeated this cycle since i was 20..i feel quite confident...only discouraging factor is the accompanying barge in this rally team..a Holden Camira...has an obvious blown head gasket [its still running...but oil soaked head]..and the other Italian..Stefano is convinced it will be fine..ive bet him $100 his car will die first...and the spare fuel can is for torching it on the roadside...hes blinded by love..its truly the worst car Holden ever built...but hey..we 'l see what happens...

Had to get an unglamorous image of Merci beside Uluru-Ayers Rock today for posterity's sake..

94a4f56f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well..abandoned Northern territory heat and slackness..primed the Merc...new coolant..and oil...40 litres of water..spare fuel tank..loaded to the brim and off we set...stopped at a number of roadhouses for refuel..our first overnight stay was at Coober Pedy..the opal mining town which is chocka full of old chod..

6c5da8ac.jpg

Cortin Springs roadhouse F250..who needs doors when u gotta jump out to clean the bogs..

616ebe45.jpg

Would u like an expresso with your Mercedes sir..

f55e06c3.jpg

One of many burnt out wrecks on the way..

bea62578.jpg

There were a pair of wedge tailed eagles finishing off Skippy when we drew up beside this carcasse.

21c4ac4f.jpg

Oi..two Italians looking for work..

56dfcef6.jpg

classic tractor pull

1a20c083.jpg

old austin set up with moke carrier conversion..

93ac9883.jpg

beer advertisement utilising Ford Fairlaine

91def984.jpg

2c94badb.jpg

yet another wasted commodore..and on inspection..i found..

38e92571.jpg

some bloody useful tools...

bdceaa07.jpg

heavy rear ended Mitsi

27d62376.jpg

round the world cyclist from barcelona..we gave him a bottle of water

5f6f0c71.jpg

On arrival in Coober Pedy..this show of joy..great old Corolla

cd832afa.jpg

Holden collection

d122745c.jpg

26d9ce52.jpg

f4a9d881.jpg

Desoto

5eb0d2ae.jpg

Holden EH

229b7654.jpg

Holden HR

c810b4c9.jpg

Hot Rod?

c9043af0.jpg

J40..common as dust and cheap here not like NZ

fc31bcf1.jpg

Why waste a bus...

cd76dc21.jpg

Old mining truck..even all the ones in use were TKs or D series...

f06faba8.jpg

Opal bugs..

f791ede7.jpg

Cute Corona

5a50cdd6.jpg

Mitsi V3000..habitually pulling up beside us..

118149ba.jpg

Diamond in the rough..err..or an unpolished gem..

bf72bc75.jpg

whoever has to repaint this every year has a bit of a task..

6fc959ba.jpg

2eafaaff.jpg

6bba7e05.jpg

Italian cowboys going spaghetti eastern..

fae7c862.jpg

Falcon shot to bits

f78720a9.jpg

Heat road mirage

f9bf74a4.jpg

Another dead Falcon

4a5026ed.jpg

Lake Hart salt flats..not time for racing tho...

bd7fd7a4.jpg

b922cc66.jpg

Sunset at Roxby Downs missle testing range

3dabd093.jpg

04eeb7a9.jpg

Drink of oil outside Adelaide

e4d59abe.jpg

Port Houghton..we were approached by the nephew of the former owner..unreal...and we spotted this ropey 280E..lowered scene shite..

c55a8b19.jpg

a919079e.jpg

and yet another V3000..ok..thats it..lying in the grass in the middle of farm nowhere...going to Melbourne today..Merci has been faultless on this trip..beats all the other backpackers boring Commies and Falcons..we ve had loadsa comments and smiles..

d292c2e4.jpg

Stopped over in a small township outside of Swan Hill...half way between Adelaide and melbourne...all the countryside is littered with classic cars and farm machinery...i must have seen 100 old trucks..some still in use...

65ca7957.jpg

early Datsun twin cab

50e810e9.jpg

very tidy Jag..

c8611ef7.jpg

Hirst limo services to the front desk please..

82eaae52.jpg

Mitsi Starion

80abb81d.jpg

At the house where we stayed..some maintenance guys showed up with this very sweet $500 Volvo

6e967f0f.jpg

0db956bb.jpg

ce0ddfc4.jpg

Charming old abandoned house with fully laden peach tree had a little pleasure left in the backyard..

5328b9bb.jpg

Holden EK ute..just needs some doors n a bonnet..and a lawn mower motor

52e0ec2f.jpg

bf436820.jpg

babad1cc.jpg

157dee55.jpg

and then finally..my suspicions on the back tyre realised..we shredded it..and it didnt deflate...spare was the old original...which proceeded to make a really wierd noise..so we drove 70kms to Bendigo at 50kph until we found a tyre place..$105 for one new 14/215 and half an hr later we were on our way again..

d1ac5a57.jpg

7d3f0c10.jpg

The tyre shop had built this funny wee contraption..i liked it..Suzuki chassis with a V6

df734a64.jpg

and their neighbors had this masterpiece hiding nxt door..a 1955 Ford Customline ute..

4f024001.jpg

So now in Melborne in St Kilda..a few flash classics lurking around...we met another W123 at the lights and got a big thumbs up from the bloke driving it...

• 4 weeks later...

Merci Bends was mistakenly lent to the Italians who have now abandoned it on a farm in Nth Victoria meaning I have to go collect him and come back to the city..im back in the music industry breaking my back for large bands and theater productions..Melbourne is pretty good on the chod factor..heapsa 240 Volvos..more and more W123s are being spotted and i usually try n engage the owners..who all profess to love them..street spots..here they are..

64499a1c.jpg

on my mates street in Nth Melbourne...im gonna keep my eye on this..

164d8b2a.jpg

tidy Jag

650e3db0.jpg

sad and lonely Supra

bc08717d.jpg

forgotten Celica cabrio

17bd263e.jpg

on my way to the big MB dealers to pick up the head gasket that has yet to fail on my W123...this baby

8719b90e.jpg

Studebaker street advertisement

7c904267.jpg

traditional Aussie Kombi

245c2d58.jpg

a759fb26.jpg

interesting wheel choice on W108

d82492d4.jpg

the most shite Capri ever built

48b4f948.jpg

pure Volvo filth

d52447c1.jpg

non moving HZ Kingswood ute

5369c331.jpg

tidy wee Civic..assembled in NZ and maybe here?

f490c829.jpg

HR Holden

• 4 weeks later...

Went for a long walk..in my sthrn neighbourhood,,then over to fashionable Nth Melbourne...

Last night just before we went to the footy match..thats Aussie Rules chaps n lasses..1974 Celica..he told me it was an original one old lady car

0f65195c.jpg

Valiant AP5 in the back of local garage

0ec4a029.jpg

86801527.jpg

And the ultimate sinking landyacht..1970ish Pontiac Bonneville Safari wagon

6532885d.jpg

d460296b.jpg

a62542dd.jpg

83d5478a.jpg

7c064f56.jpg

Mogified Minor..which i quite liked...

f023ed05.jpg

Pure 240 sex

2ace10ab.jpg

Scene too Mini van..most Aussie ones have the back windows..

a6842be6.jpg

Holden Kingswood HR

cbc5604a.jpg

Celica

522c7c07.jpg

MB 450SLC

f79d73f8.jpg

Falcon panelvan

66b4d722.jpg

Please remove your Preluded ideas..

405ac3aa.jpg

Crusty down at high heels Alfa GT 1600 Junior

82206ba2.jpg

187ee15a.jpg

Ford Fairlane 500 with nasty wheeltrims

da3a6375.jpg

06908e20.jpg

Holden Kingswood 2nd generation

906e76f4.jpg

The Coffee Cowboys 1962 import Ford pick up from Texas

aea23fae.jpg

Standard Melbourne ol 250CE..in dark blue..pretty....

8262ef53.jpg

Dead wait 280E similar to mine..and dang it..not for sale...

8118a223.jpg

f95b46a9.jpg

accompanied by a dead XD Falcon

0098f909.jpg

Another common sight here....

e953d971.jpg

and lastly..Valian Safari wagon...so not bad for a days jaunt...

1334bd39.jpg

What a magnificent 4 page read !! as others have said, just like being there. The photos really set the scene.

and all that outback scrap & roadkill, and kilometres of nothingness, makes you realise how vast the place is. :shock:

would love to be there too, I have only briefly visited Perth (saw Leyland P76's back then), Melbourne, and Sydney, but he wasn't in... CheersFotorab :D

245c2d58.jpg

Is this the same one I remember seeing around Fitzroy in St Kilda I wonder :lol:

It probably is Jonathan..its in St Kilda..and thanks for the kind words guys..this is a kind of art form for me...Im actually about to start studying as a video camera operator..so soon it will be Autoshite TV hopefully!

It probably is Jonathan..its in St Kilda..and thanks for the kind words guys..this is a kind of art form for me...Im actually about to start studying as a video camera operator..so soon it will be Autoshite TV hopefully!

I do hope so! Always look forward to this thread, keep up the good work!