Bus Shite

Felly Magic

Looked initially and thought what a load of horse bo11ocks, but then thought, there's only one company who could have built such a pile of shite.

Mann Egerton...

1954 on a rear engined (probably two stoke,) Foden

I have just been informed by the chap who sent me the picture the following information----

Bodywork by Crellin Duplex and built by Mann Egerton,1952 Foden rear engine two stroke,operated by Taylors of Bermondsey,this picture was taken in 1964.

Bloody hell Andy, no doubt we will see knee jerk reactions by local authorities, typical stable door/horse bolted action

It's already happened Marty; North Lanarkshire Council introduced a 20-year age limit on school buses following John Duggan's Bova Futura fell into a ditch in Cumbernauld in 2017 injuring 26 kids.

At the same time they wrote it into their contracts that any vehicle used on NLC school contracts must be MOT'd TWICE a year, despite all operators having either 28 or 42-day inspection schedules. NLC contracts only last for three years so it's a bit of an outlay.

Of course none of that takes into account that John Duggan's Bova was formerly V691 EWB (new 9/99, making it seventeen years and three months old at the time of the crash), nor that the JMB Volvo in the Coatbridge crash is approximately the same age, 'cos apparantly age limits and twice yearly MOTs make school bus travel safer and don't push prices up for already cash strapped local authorities.

Tossers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

All my years on the road and I cannot recall ever seeing anything like this--

attachicon.gifwiit (3).jpg

As others have said, tis indeed a Crellin-Duplex half-decker. IIRC about a dozen were built in both front and underfloor-engined forms, first by Lincs Trailers and then the rights were taken over by Mann Egerton. One has survived (JVB 908) - I believe it's coming to the end of a very long-term restoration and should turn a few heads when it's done. If you're wondering how the interior works, there's a central corridor with steps up and down into compartments, each with two pairs of seats facing each other and overlapped so the backs of the upper seats are above the fronts of the lower ones. Not exactly step-free easy access, and slow boarding and alighting times killed the idea off.

I have actually sat in one of those weird duplex coaches at a tiny bus rally a few years back in Norfolk, and it was bloody weird, and did not look like a pleasant vehicle to travel on. Might have been OK for an overnight service though

https://www.facebook.com/106906932992719/videos/550144838796350/

sorry for it being facebook

but check out the video! how awesome is that? Routemasters cruising 3 wide down the motorway :mrgreen:

That is fucking ace! Not* that I've ever been involved in anything like that in the late 70's or early 80's involving AEC's finest single deck products..

Love the car undertaking the lot on the hard shoulder near the end.

That is superb. Well found. RMA's will cruise at 60 so they may not have been holding up the traffic quite as much as if it was standard RM's.

And that guy going up the hard shoulder does so after they've broken formation so I don't know what his problem is. I keep playing that bit back to try and work out what the car is. I'm torn between a Lada and a Fiat 131.

That is superb. Well found. RMA's will cruise at 60 so they may not have been holding up the traffic quite as much as if it was standard RM's.

And that guy going up the hard shoulder does so after they've broken formation so I don't know what his problem is. I keep playing that bit back to try and work out what the car is. I'm torn between a Lada and a Fiat 131.

Thanks :) I showed it to my mum who found it very impressive (she very much understands how impressive it is) but also laughed at the holding up the M4 bit, to which I did remind her that RMAs where specced to do 70 :)

I also found it funny how the beetle gets in the middle of it all, then probably suddenly notices he has 3 Routemasters up his chuff, and promptly fucks off  :mrgreen:

(its a shame its on facebook as Facebook being facbook aside, they compress the hell out of videos)

• 2 weeks later...

We have an ECOC liveried ALX400 B7TL named after a late driver and enthusiast, it started to look slightly faded, so was dispatched back to Rotherham central works fir a spruce up. This is all Giles Fearnley's idea. He loves heritage and actually has a Keighley and District Lynx from his old Blazefield days.

I happened across Lothian's newest tri-axle toy yesterday

post-4462-0-42280500-1549322310_thumb.jpg

I'm not convinced by their claim that it will take 129 cars off the road

post-4462-0-07920900-1549322373_thumb.jpg

but to hammer the point home, they had assembled (what I presume to be) 129 cars, creating a particularly lacklustre car show 

post-4462-0-77482500-1549322485_thumb.jpg

this was the real star attraction  :)

post-4462-0-89366200-1549322732_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-22598600-1549322779_thumb.jpg

will admit its pretty cool to see a big tri-axle bus like that go into service in the UK :)

I used to read about them on wikipedia and how only places like Hong kong got them, and was saddened we never got any new despite them being made here

(twas cool reading about the 1980s ones like the big yellow one on here that got imported back? to the UK :) )

^^^ Stagecoach bought a couple of tri axle Olympians, the Megadecker, back in 1988. One is preserved.

It's alright having such things but think of the dwell times at stops. Unless you have some very good off bus ticketing system then you have to increase the running times to accommodate such things. Just imagine 9.30 am when the wombles can use their passes. 129 of them all presenting their passses to the reader. Even at 5 seconds each (shuffle on, present card, wander off to seat), that's assuming they have them ready and don't present their co-op discount card instead, you're stood there a long time.

^^^ Stagecoach bought a couple of tri axle Olympians, the Megadecker, back in 1988. One is preserved.

It's alright having such things but think of the dwell times at stops. Unless you have some very good off bus ticketing system then you have to increase the running times to accommodate such things. Just imagine 9.30 am when the wombles can use their passes. 129 of them all presenting their passses to the reader. Even at 5 seconds each (shuffle on, present card, wander off to seat), that's assuming they have them ready and don't present their co-op discount card instead, you're stood there a long time.

oh very cool I was not aware of that one :)

but yeah good point on the dwell time, I know its one of the things that kept the Routemaster going in Central London for a long time :)

(I wonder how they dealt with the dwell times in hong kong or if they just didn't care?)

oh very cool I was not aware of that one :)

but yeah good point on the dwell time, I know its one of the things that kept the Routemaster going in Central London for a long time :)

(I wonder how they dealt with the dwell times in hong kong or if they just didn't care?)

Toured the Far East a couple of times in the mid to late 90's. Queues at bus stops?, Since when has anybody but the British queued?. Conductors were employed to collect fares, works out cheaper with packed buses and fare dodgers. One man had single width doors on a fair few vehicles. Dwell times, eh, traffic is slow enough anyway.

The reason they had night services was because it was cheaper to run buses than try and find storage space that was only required at night time.

TM travel now have an ex MASS tri axle Dennis on the school routes, looks low floor so presumably that’s why it was saved.

TM have two of them. They were new to First Glasgow but only on lease from Volvo, hence when withdrawn they were sold not scrapped.

They are B7Ls, so sideways engine, n/s/r and generally low floor. Bought them mainly for schools but also get used in normal service at times.

Well well well....

'Up the Chaii!'

*Chichester bus depot, South Shields.

Economic was a small, family concern running between Sunderland and South Shields for donkeys years.. They ran along the coast road [and the end of my street, as a yungg un] Never had double deckers during their 'independence' as the depot, just south of Seaburn, had a low door/roof.

http://www.marsdenbannergroup.btck.co.uk/EconomicBusService

Well, bus shite turns up in the most unlikely places. This afternoon I was watching happened to be in the room when the 'Four O'clock Club' came on CBBC (for some inexplicable reason on at Five O'clock ? ) and the school bus was yes a blue LDV Convoy :) Nice to see the Beeb spending our money wisely*