More Scrappage, GRRRR

pompei

Why was the Riley put into the scheme then? If he was pleased it was saved? I would far rather see the headline "keep your car going, it's better for the environment" and "Don't put your classic or vintage car into the scrappage scheme" that "Bangers for Cash a huge success" but I reckon that's never gonna happen....

All comes down to money. Apparently, the car was offered for sale, but he couldn't get what he wanted, or maybe couldn't even get anyone to look at it. Is there one of us who hasn't input a number plate into Webuyanycar thinking, 'maybe the quote would be acceptable...'I know I did with the Subaru...(and it WASN'T!)Similarly, the chap who scrappaged by Bond wasn't thrilled at the idea of it being scrapped but being in quite poor and very scruffy condition and with values low anyway, it made much more sense to just trade it in. He go a Picanto with £2k off list price. That has to be tempting if you're getting on a bit and just want a nice, little, easy-to-drive car. Hard to blame folk really.

The vast majority of cars that seem to be selling like hotcakes under the Scrappage Allowance are sub-£8k small cars - the Pandas, the Picantos, the i10s. All of which you couldn't haggle £2k off of in normal circumstances as a cash/no-PX buyer, and none of which have been sitting in fields for months.

Fair enough, a grand off then. that's what the dealer is standing toward the crappage scheme, so no loss to them, car or no car. Sell the car for a reasonable cost (most of the cars people are up in arms about are worth at least a grand, if not more) and the numbers will come out the same, if not better than 2 grand.If they won't give a grand off, why are they in the scheme anyway?

True, I was talking about the cars most people like us are up in arms about, like the 68 moggy.

The one that was originally scrapped at the Hyundai dealer was a heap, you could see that from the distance shot of the car on a recovery truck (unless that was just a library pic, of course). A grotty Minor from the late 1960s is worth less than a £1000, even if it does have an MOT.The 1966 Austin 1100 was also said to be in a poor state. As can be seen from DW's Equipe, the car may have a new MOT but that dosen't mean its in good condition.I'm not talking about the black MInor seen at Bridges, BTW. I was surprised at that, and hope it can be saved :D .P.S As I understand it, if the dealer dosen't put in the £1000 for the scrappage, then the govt dosen't put in the other grand - the government dosen't give £1000 just for the car to be sold on - that would defeat the object of the scheme. So all this talk of £1000 is perhaps irrelevant?There are also other top up discounts linked to the scheme which can mean the scrappage deal is worth up to £5000 is the eyes of the potential punter.

Slight mis-understanding there I think. The government will only stump up the £1000 if the Certificate of Destruction is presented. The manufacturer stumps up the other £1000.In the case of the Bond, the manufacturer stumped up £1k and I did likewise to reach the £2k, but I guess the manufacturer will not always want to do that.

zero chance off walking in and getting a grand of the list price on a brand new kia picanto,the manufacturer is offering the £1000 not the dealer,no scrapper no £1000.the profit on say a brand new astra is only £400.there are some excellent deals on pre reg cars though,like the half price 09 6 mile old vectras that we have just about run out off.p.s. anybody want a 2.8 v6 turbo vectra elite for £13000 and a bit ?

Why was the Riley put into the scheme then? If he was pleased it was saved? I would far rather see the headline "keep your car going, it's better for the environment" and "Don't put your classic or vintage car into the scrappage scheme" that "Bangers for Cash a huge success" but I reckon that's never gonna happen....

All comes down to money. Apparently, the car was offered for sale, but he couldn't get what he wanted, or maybe couldn't even get anyone to look at it. Is there one of us who hasn't input a number plate into Webuyanycar thinking, 'maybe the quote would be acceptable...'I know I did with the Subaru...(and it WASN'T!)Similarly, the chap who scrappaged by Bond wasn't thrilled at the idea of it being scrapped but being in quite poor and very scruffy condition and with values low anyway, it made much more sense to just trade it in. He go a Picanto with £2k off list price. That has to be tempting if you're getting on a bit and just want a nice, little, easy-to-drive car. Hard to blame folk really.
Funnily enough about two years ago I rang up about a 244 that had been advertised for ages in CCW at £795, not much info so worth a chat. It was a low mileage minter that was scrapped the week before I called because there was no interest and the tax ran out, he would've taken any offer in the end but didn't reflect it in the ad, there's nowt so queer as folk!

The point is being missed here. Okay, so the Guvmint want to encourage new car sales with a bag from them and another bag from the manufacturer.Why doesn't the car get sold off at an auction? The breakers get them for next to nothing whereas most cars have some sort of value. The Government can auction them all off again. Massive sales at (say) BCA sites....why not?Lets say the average value of a trade in is £500. 300'000 x 500 quid is 1.5 billion, and the UK sure as fuck could do with that right now.But no. Stupidity has prevailed, and they've just made Copart a bit richer. Nice work!

Autoline, Froghall, Staffordshire. Helpful, reasonably priced and full of scrappage victims:

1998 Maestro L

Posted Image

1991 240GL Auto

Posted Image

1997 Civic ES Auto

Posted Image

1996 414 I

Posted Image

OK so I don’t know for certain that all of the above are perfect examples, but the balance of probabilities is they're serviceable with at least a few years life left in them. They look like your archetypal low mileage ex-giffer motors to me.

A mate recently went for some bits for his P plate diesel Astra. Predictably enough the yard had a number of them – all scrappage victims and all in better nick than his. Is it just coincidence that Auto Trader has nowt but overpriced crap at the moment? I think not :roll:

From Autolines website -

'Scrappage Scheme'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wasteful.

Thing is, I'm wondering what else they have thats not on the website? That Marbella next to the 106 doesn't come up and theres nothing listed on there older than 1990. Which means either that they aren't getting anything on scrappage older than 1990 (unlikely) or they don't consider it to be worth even listing these? Wonder if they've got any R11's :?

They are more likely to get a Renault 11 that's just been left in a garage or a yard for many years - ring them and tell them you're on the look out for one.

None when I peered over the bridge and into the yard a couple of weeks ago, but do contact them as they don't fall into the "we're doing you a massive favour letting you in" category of breaker.

• 2 weeks later...